Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Scanner not matching  (Read 2677 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

Epson Scanner not matching
« on: October 07, 2013, 12:15:07 am »

Hey guys.  Quick question.  I have an Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner.  I scan a photo that someone gives me in professional mode and no matter what I do to the settings, I can never get the results to look like the actual photo that was given to me.  Is there third party software that will fix this?  Scanning into photoshop?  I just can't seem to match what the photo looks like using the Epson software that was included with the scanner. 

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Epson Scanner not matching
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:17:12 am »

Have you made a custom scanner profile? Aside from dealing with the tone curve, that should deal with the color...short of a custom profile, you'll need to learn how to produce a good scan and fix it in Photoshop.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 05:34:23 am »

....maybe check your monitor calibration first?
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:06:19 am »

The Epson software included with the scanner should be using Epson's own canned profile for that scanner, so unless it is not doing so, or unless there is something very unusual about your scanner compared with the standard unit, improper profiling should not be the cause of the problem. You should of course have your monitor profiled as well, but more than that, make sure Epson Scan is using that profile, if there is a way to control it. I don't use Epson Scan so I'm not sure. SilverFast does have very accessible colour management controls in its Preferences, and you can download from the SilverFast website  a trial version (I suggest trying Ai Studio) to see whether it will help. You cannot make a custom profile from SilverFast using their Auto-IT8 feature unless you buy the license, but don't let that deter you. It will automatically detect and use their canned profile for that scanner model. Your main interest is to make sure you can configure its colour management and image editing controls to produce a good scan with their profile in the first instance.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:03:36 pm by Mark D Segal »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

David Good

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:05:58 am »

I use that scanner for scanning old prints with both Epson Scan and Vuescan. What are your settings under Configuration/Color? I scan with no color correction and assign the reflective profile in PS. Do you have anything enabled under Adjustments?

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 11:26:40 am »

I think I'm probably repeating what Jeff and Mark have mentioned, but perhaps in a different way.  I only use Epson Scan on my home "All In One" scanner, so I'm not sure if that software has this capability.  At work, for both the V750 and the Expression 1280 I use Silverfast from Lasersoft.  In Silverfast you have the ability to "calibrate" the scanner with an iT8 Reference Target.  You then save that calibration as the most recent one or simply overwrite the existing one.  Silverfast will then automatically use that calibration/profile and use it for reflective work.  For film scans Silverfast only has positive/chrome targets, but you can save the settings you use for specific neg films and use them like a profile.  Not as good as a reference target and calibration, but better than having to start fresh with each neg you need to scan.  Silverfast is not the easiest program to learn, but it definitely has all of the controls you'll need.  Also, if you do decide to try Silverfast, get Mark Segal's book.  You can order it directly from the Lasersoft site.  A LOT of good information!

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up