Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from 35mm to Medium Format. Need guidance (Sorry for yet another thread!)  (Read 46714 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

Sony doesn't expose hotter, I do. This was about the best I could do in the field. Keep in mind that this is not a test, it is observation on two images shot under field conditions, based on in camera histograms and my experience. Doing an 1/3 bracket I could get within 1/6 stop.

The Phase One P45+ has 39 MP while the Sony Alpha has 24 MP so it is expected to have less detail.

Best regards
Erik

From the two histograms, it seems that the Sony exposes 1/2 to 2/3 EV hotter, see the position of the peaks in relation to EV1-EV2.

As to the shadows sample: the Sony has less chroma noise, but lacks all detail. It would thus seem that the "raw" data from the Sony sensor already includes some noise reduction, possibly at the sensor level.
Erik Kaffehr

jerome_m

Sony doesn't expose hotter, I do. This was about the best I could do in the field. Keep in mind that this is not a test, it is observation on two images shot under field conditions, based on in camera histograms and my experience. Doing an 1/3 bracket I could get within 1/6 stop.

You are not within 1/6 stop, the Sony is 1/2 to 2/3 hotter than the P45+. If you have a whole series of exposures, I think you could find two pairs which would be better matched. In any case, I think that the overexposure on the Sony falsifies the comparison of the shadow detail considerably.

The Phase One P45+ has 39 MP while the Sony Alpha has 24 MP so it is expected to have less detail.

Sure, but the Sony details look smudged as if there was some hidden noise reduction at play.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I did no 1/3 stop brackets, tried to expose HTTR according to histogram.

I did find a higher exposed P45+ image and reposted under this thread:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=84192.msg680710#msg680710

The image below is the new one.

Thanks for input. I think that improved the new posting.

Best regards
Erik
You are not within 1/6 stop, the Sony is 1/2 to 2/3 hotter than the P45+. If you have a whole series of exposures, I think you could find two pairs which would be better matched. In any case, I think that the overexposure on the Sony falsifies the comparison of the shadow detail considerably.

Sure, but the Sony details look smudged as if there was some hidden noise reduction at play.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:12:44 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up