Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from 35mm to Medium Format. Need guidance (Sorry for yet another thread!)  (Read 46805 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

Batch exporting all captures to 16 bit TIFF before you can do meaningful work on them is a terrible workflow compared to working with native raw files until the final stage. Needlessly large files during the adjustment phase, lose of the reserve dynamic range and flexibility of the underlying raw file (even at 16 bit TIFF you lose data compared to the original raw file).

I'm surprised you'd accept this.

I have been using Raw Developper to process my DP2m files recently.

The workflow is still not super smooth, but it is closer to what you get with decent raw developpers.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bart_van_der_Wolf

> vertically stacked layers respond to Red, Blue, and Green

See attached.

Actually: no. The top layer responds to B+G+R, the middle to G+R and the bottom one to R only.

Indeed, and it also shows that there is hardly any color separation between the channel responses. There is more overlap than separation, which also shows when examining the Raw data (which almost looks like a monochrome RGB image). There is significant mathematical separation and amplification required to produce (saturated) color, which also explains the relatively poor high ISO performance of Foveon sensors. Also skin tone color in the shadows is pretty poor.

It is almost surprising how a color image can be calculated from that source data, but it also demonstrates that with clever post-processing almost any Raw data can be made more acceptable. So I'm still not sold on the skin color from e.g. Leaf backs being caused by the sensor. It's more likely a combination of CFA filter choices and an IR filter to match, and a Demosaicing that favors skin tones. The latter is just software doing its job.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 03:27:34 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

It's amazing how one can solve inverse problems these days - eg. CT scan.
But one doesn't always get results which are "nice" ... effective detail loss, noise, artefacts.
In the end, if the information has been damaged too much by the sensor one will pay a price.
The interesting question with Foveon is how much software improvement can be done, compared to all the work which has already been done with Bayer, and also how much cell design can be improved, in Bayer fill factor has been pushed a lot and there are backlit arrays with shared readouts. I do wonder if Sigma put a conventional Bayer sensor in the DP series that is only good in strong light, eg something with cells the size of a camera phone, how many MP would that be? 60? 80? 100?

Edmund

Indeed, and it also shows that there is hardly any color separation between the channel responses. There is more overlap than separation, which also shows when examining the Raw data (which almost looks like a monochrome RGB image). There is significant mathematical separation and amplification required to produce (saturated) color, which also explains the relatively poor high ISO performance of Foveon sensors. Also skin tone color in the shadows is pretty poor.

It is almost surprising how a color image can be calculated from that source data, but it also demonstrates that with clever post-processing almost any Raw data can be made more acceptable. So I'm still not sold on the skin color from e.g. Leaf backs being caused by the sensor. It's more likely a combination of CFA filter choices and an IR filter to match, and a Demosaicing that favors skin tones. The latter is just software doing its job.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 05:31:58 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Hulyss

• H.Bowman

Actually: no. The top layer responds to B+G+R, the middle to G+R and the bottom one to R only.

Yes Jerome is right. I will explain that later because it take a lot of times :)
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

Thanks for the correction re: the exact manner of the vertical color-response on the Foveon. I'm glad to have learned something today - and it's only 9am here!

Iliah

It is not colour response, it is spectral response. The moment one stops thinking of the Foveon response in terms of colour and starts thinking in terms of luminosity and colour difference he is half-way to making it right.

Phil Indeblanc

BTW:
There is a "hack" for the Live view on the SD1 when I was looking around. It is capable of it now, but needs some software alterations

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

I kinda feel bad at bringing the Sigma to this conversation, but it deals directly with synn's issue.

Thank you for that sample. It's absolutely brilliant and yes, if Sigma ever get around to making a full frame version of this sensor and an interchangable lens version of the DP3m, they are gonna hit it right out of the park.

Having said this, I'm still surprised the Sd1 wouldn't work for you.

Edmund: Yes, even on Sigma site its about $1700
When a Phase back produces good images it makes superb images, I have done 44" wide from 1/4 of the frame of my P45+ with no problems, and there is huge DR.
Yes, MF does great at this.

but many people in this forum have had at least this level in quality for 10 years or so.
I think your key word is quality. I would disagree on people seeing this level of quality.
I also think this varies between people in how quality is perceived, and there is the rub on measuring such a mix of esthetic and technical info. Meaning you are right in one sense, but I would disagree in another sense of looking at this file. This comes from something Jerome pointed out....The noise in shadows are not misinformation, they are simply luminosity from the true data. This is NOT seen easily in 10 years of files.
Sigma sabotaged the SD1 by overpricing it; I hope at some point they will make larger sensors and provide programming help so their usage spreads.
I hope you're right and they be a bit more quick about it! :-)

The one thing which everyone here prefers to forget is that Sigma is a lens manufacturer, and they "donate" a really good lens with each DP camera; An equivalent lens for an M series Leica or a dSLR or an MF camera  would cost several times the price of the whole DP package.
Good point!

Erik:
just an oddball camera with a small market share that needs a lot of development effort.
   Maybe Oddball, but with proper foundation and potential to dominate. Yes, a lot of dev needed. FF at the minimum, and they should partner up as they need the leverage.

Hulyss:
Just open the files and then only batch export ProPhoto Tiff 16bit and you are done

(even at 16 bit TIFF you lose data compared to the original raw file).
I'm surprised you'd accept this.

This I agree with Doug, and not JUST because you can't do 16bit TIF and get "the job" done, but more so in principal of the raw info as an archival data(for the "photographer", not production content producer) vs cooked.

I too think of all the possibles Sigma can do with a FF sensor, a true 40+mp, but they are moving very slow, and making baby steps. They need rocket fuel!  And yes, they should be on the forefront helping other Dev apps with their RAW file type.

As far as the file on first impression.....I think it is a WOW!  Look at the white area of the eyes. I have not see such true information in this area on so many camera types. There is NO color guess work pixels to be found!!! Lips, no color bleed guessing. It looks like someone took a Scotchgaurd pad on the glass and removed a thin layer of haze "film" of misinformation. Jerome is rather harsh on this to even compare to a Point and shoot.

Have you worked with a Phase file in Capture One v7??
It's incredibly sharp at 100% and it uprez's phenomenally well.
Loss of sharpness due to Bayer pattern used to be a big deal. That's just not the case anymore. I'd rate it as 10-15% depending on the subject.
The idea of Sigma advertising the SD1 as a 46mp system is a bad joke.

I agree with Doug. Yet I wouldn't dismiss or underplay(not that Doug is doing that)  the different "level" or rather approach to clarity the Foveon produces.
If you let the $ difference get in your way, it is easy to try and dismiss. but if you look at the file and result, you will be hard pressed to dismiss it.
Yes, 46mp is simple dishonest advertising. It is the worst point of the commercial market game to play.

Phase One supports nearly all commonly used professional cameras. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Samsung, Leica, Mamiya Leaf, Olympus, Panosonic.
I can't speak for them, but I'm quite sure the reason this camera isn't supported is because it has a very unusal sensor which would require a lot of custom work to support, and there are very few pros using it. Very poor return on investment for their time.
Very true about C1, and I shouldn't has stated it that way. I was thinking more that they have their own priority before others, yet they HAVE extended C1 to meet so many others. I hope SigmaFoveon is in the works, A7R too :-) But very poor return on investment perhaps you are referring to when they fist launched it. It is now $1699! If it had a Canon or Nikon mount, I would have easily had one in my arsenal.

We are between people who know what we are talking about, that for sure. To not mess around, some of us are very intrigued by this foveon technology. It is not mature, some said this is the future of photography

I maybe one of those people, but I always have a back up(funny how what I use as the main I refer to as a backup) :-)

We all seek the perfect Camera/software line for our specialized or generalist work but it do not exist. Even when we put large amount of money, deep in us, even if we do not say it, we are not THAT happy sometimes.
Yes, even if we are, when you see such greatness from something so unexpected into such an open large and able market, it can make a lot of waves.

Jerome :
I am sorry, but in my opinion this is a bit overexposed on the skin (can't recover all highlights), does not react very well to processing, shadows are very noisy (but it is only luminance noise) and some bands appear on the top if try to process the file. As to the colors, I suppose that this woman wears make-up, so it is difficult to judge: it looks like make-up foundation color, not skin color.

I mean: it is very, very good for a point and shoot and at present price it is almost a steal. But is shows clear limits and I am not so sure what you are trying to prove with that picture.

It is a raw file. Are you saying the highlight a touch on her forehead and under her right eye are blown out and cannot "pull back" in the dev? I highly doubt this. Hulyss, please test.
Not reacting very well to processing? (this maybe a 16bit vs 12 or 14bit issue I would guess. I know the MF files are meaty and have mass info to push around. But this you can't tell unless you have the RAW!
Why would you try and process this cooked file? That is not a apples to apple comparison! Hulyss saying to do this in my opinion is something he was referring to for his own needs, and not something to use as a baseline of measure!

Yes she wears makeup, this file is screaming that at you. Its the first thing I noticed. You can actually see the cake layer vs thin areas. Look at how clear the lips are with the rouge!  The best part is, no matter how far you zoom in, the color information is not a blurry mess. it stops where the reality of the subject stops...No interpolated info!

With all this said, you can't ignore how our brain functions. It in of itself fills gaps and information and interprets color differently in situations we are faced with.  If you watch this video it has some great examples of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZVzzgTxys  

To compare this to a point and shoot is not just wrong, but dismissing a great deal of information.
I think you maybe looking at certain numbers and charts to make up for a calculation. I have used a lot of gear and seen many files from many sources, MF and others. There is no doubt in my mind that IIIIFFFFF(big "IF") Foveon can get a FF or more, and at least double the resolution, AND get the dev/raw ironed out, it will be the next industry shifter.
Until then(and further on), we will have these conversations.

Cheers,
Bart

I think its a mistake to compare things looking at the TIF file, as I think Doug would agree. We should be looking at the RAW. Without that, we can't conclude things.
Look at the improvements C1 made from earlier versions to the way v7 processes. Sigma is still at the first stages.
BTW: Skin tone in the shadows is great to me. This is often where sensors add misinformation.
Regarding the Leaf back... Thats why I think Foveon is a great sensor technology, it takes the sensor out of the equation. But you not liking the colors your subjective preference.

The interesting question with Foveon is how much software improvement can be done, compared to all the work which has already been done with Bayer
yes Edmund!

Seeing Bernards pix, I'm kinda surprised I don't have one of these cams! I don't have any point and shoot sized camera yet :-\

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

eronald

It is not colour response, it is spectral response. The moment one stops thinking of the Foveon response in terms of colour and starts thinking in terms of luminosity and colour difference he is half-way to making it right.

Point of view is 30 points IQ. (ascribed to Alan Kay)

Edmund
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:10:00 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Iliah

"We haven't gotten any smarter, we've just changed our representation system. We think better generally by inventing better representations'.

synn

• My fine art portfolio

Having said this, I'm still surprised the Sd1 wouldn't work for you.

No leaf shutter, absolutely no resale possibilities here, lenses not as tightly integrated into the system as the Dp series lenses are and so on.
Basically, I'd be selling my 35mm system to get another 35mm system from scratch (Yes, with a sensor more suited to my needs), but that doesn't offer me enough differentiation.

Another way to look at it is, the DP3m can act as a great second cam for me, but the SD1 doesn't work as a great first cam.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

eronald

Indeed, should the scientist change her point of view, she will gain more satisfaction by this greater abstraction of the variable depth of penetration

;D

More seriously, the parsimony achieved by adopting the spectral point of view obscures the physics; it helps hugely for modeling, but the depth of penetration physics provides immediate insight into the likely sensor characteristics. I prefer going back to the simple  physics rather than read the spectral curves which offer no clue as to how the technology might evolve.

Edmund
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:03:02 am by eronald »

synn

• My fine art portfolio

I think my thread has gone further and further away from the topic for one reason or another.

To re-iterate, I have been doing strobe lit portraiture for quite some time now. I am quite comfortable doing this genre of photography and I would like to improve the technical quality of my work (My vision has always been the same, it's not gonna change no matter what tool I use).

The first question was, whether or not it's worth spending money on a medium format setup. To me, it is. I shoot medium format film on occasion. I like that experience much more than when I use 35mm cameras. Now medium format digital is another beast altogether; I agree; but it is closer in ideology to medium format film than 35mm digital will ever be, 36 megapixel sensor or not (Remember, I have been working with one for quite some time now). Before I started this thread, I examined a whole lot of MFDB files and the quality I desire is there. After I started this thread, I did get even more files from various resources including Mr. Doug Peterson, which reaffirmed my beliefs. I don't spend a whole lot of time looking at MTF charts, histograms and whatnot. I am a photographer, not a mathematician or physicist. And what I have discovered is that MFDB delivers what I want.

So yes, it is worth it for me.

In the meantime, thanks to the input from several gentlemen in this thread, I have also learned how to improve my post production of 35mm files. Neither the D800 or the D7100 that I have are a match to the MFDB files I worked on, but now I feel more comfortable using them as secondary cameras for my projects in situations where MFDB might not be viable. So, I thank you for that. When the Sony A7R is out, I will be testing that too to see how much closer it gets to my needs as a secondary camera.

Another strong reason why I will be getting an MFDB is because I am eventually planning to use it on a technical camera platform (A Cambo Wide RS, maybe) for product photography (A genre I have always been interested in, but never really made the time to practice heavily) and the occasional landscape and architecture shot.

One of the few product shots I did. This one is with the D800 and the lowly 70-300 G lens.

At first, I was thinking of going with the cheapest setup I could get, with an older gen back, but I realize that I will be using this new setup a LOT and hence, it is better to invest in something that fits my vision and lasts me a good 6-7 years with the freedom of upgrading the body in the meantime, if need be. The older gen PhaseOne backs are out of contention because of this. Those screens are simply not adequate for my on-location shoots. The Pentax is out of contention because it locks me into a camera/ back combo and has no leaf shutters. I do not like the Hasselblad strategy of a lock in either (With phaseOne, I could get an AFD III as a backup body for not too much money eventually). So yes, I am more or less on board the team PhaseOne train.

Between the newer PhaseOne and Leaf backs, I really like the Leaf rendition of colors better and their pricing is more digestible too.

Therefore, my final toss-up is between either the Aptus II 8 or the Credo 40.

I understand the general difference in user experience between the two (Better and more responsive screen being the top feature), but I am also interested in the finer points such as start up time, battery efficiency and (if there is any), image quality differences between these two backs.

If any member with experience using the two backs in question could comment on these points based on their real life experience, that would be very helpful. I would also really appreciate some examples in the form of actual images rather than charts and graphs as I, as mentioned before is more of a visual person than an analytical one.

Thanks in advance,
Sandeep

eronald

For product an old multishot Imacon back might be best and cheapest ($2K).

Edmund

I think my thread has gone further and further away from the topic for one reason or another.

To re-iterate, I have been doing strobe lit portraiture for quite some time now. I am quite comfortable doing this genre of photography and I would like to improve the technical quality of my work (My vision has always been the same, it's not gonna change no matter what tool I use).

The first question was, whether or not it's worth spending money on a medium format setup. To me, it is. I shoot medium format film on occasion. I like that experience much more than when I use 35mm cameras. Now medium format digital is another beast altogether; I agree; but it is closer in ideology to medium format film than 35mm digital will ever be, 36 megapixel sensor or not (Remember, I have been working with one for quite some time now). Before I started this thread, I examined a whole lot of MFDB files and the quality I desire is there. After I started this thread, I did get even more files from various resources including Mr. Doug Peterson, which reaffirmed my beliefs. I don't spend a whole lot of time looking at MTF charts, histograms and whatnot. I am a photographer, not a mathematician or physicist. And what I have discovered is that MFDB delivers what I want.

So yes, it is worth it for me.

In the meantime, thanks to the input from several gentlemen in this thread, I have also learned how to improve my post production of 35mm files. Neither the D800 or the D7100 that I have are a match to the MFDB files I worked on, but now I feel more comfortable using them as secondary cameras for my projects in situations where MFDB might not be viable. So, I thank you for that. When the Sony A7R is out, I will be testing that too to see how much closer it gets to my needs as a secondary camera.

Another strong reason why I will be getting an MFDB is because I am eventually planning to use it on a technical camera platform (A Cambo Wide RS, maybe) for product photography (A genre I have always been interested in, but never really made the time to practice heavily) and the occasional landscape and architecture shot.

One of the few product shots I did. This one is with the D800 and the lowly 70-300 G lens.

At first, I was thinking of going with the cheapest setup I could get, with an older gen back, but I realize that I will be using this new setup a LOT and hence, it is better to invest in something that fits my vision and lasts me a good 6-7 years with the freedom of upgrading the body in the meantime, if need be. The older gen PhaseOne backs are out of contention because of this. Those screens are simply not adequate for my on-location shoots. The Pentax is out of contention because it locks me into a camera/ back combo and has no leaf shutters. I do not like the Hasselblad strategy of a lock in either (With phaseOne, I could get an AFD III as a backup body for not too much money eventually). So yes, I am more or less on board the team PhaseOne train.

Between the newer PhaseOne and Leaf backs, I really like the Leaf rendition of colors better and their pricing is more digestible too.

Therefore, my final toss-up is between either the Aptus II 8 or the Credo 40.

I understand the general difference in user experience between the two (Better and more responsive screen being the top feature), but I am also interested in the finer points such as start up time, battery efficiency and (if there is any), image quality differences between these two backs.

If any member with experience using the two backs in question could comment on these points based on their real life experience, that would be very helpful. I would also really appreciate some examples in the form of actual images rather than charts and graphs as I, as mentioned before is more of a visual person than an analytical one.

Thanks in advance,
Sandeep

synn

• My fine art portfolio

For product an old multishot Imacon back might be best and cheapest ($2K).

Edmund

Perhaps, but do note that it is ONE of the many uses I want out of my back and not even the primary one. On location portraiture will always be my main genre.

eronald

Perhaps, but do note that it is ONE of the many uses I want out of my back and not even the primary one. On location portraiture will always be my main genre.

Ah. I think you want a shmoocam.

Edmund
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:47:20 am by eronald »

synn

• My fine art portfolio

I am not sure what you're aiming at Edmund, but I would appreciate serious replies to the questions I asked before. If you do not have anything on those lines to contribute, might I humbly ask that you leave the topic to those who do?

Thank you.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I appreciate the sample. As I am essentially a landscape shooter I know little about skin colors, but the tonal scale looks good to me, at least when I open the file in Photoshop.
There are some comments on noisy shadows, and I would agree I see some noise.

What I am at odds with is the hair rendition.

I also made a small experiment, I read a small sample of my hand using my Color Munky Photo.On your picture I selected a small area and replaced 'a' and 'b' channels in Lab mode with measured value from my hand. So I keep structure which is mainly in the L-channel but replace color with color of my hand.  It's interesting how well they mix.

Best regards
Erik

Here we go for DP3m sample. Large file, 80+ Mo (ProPhoto RGB). Simple settings, neutral color mode under flash (Elinchrom + Octa 100cm), no reflector, just a shoot. So you can manipulate it, PP it, and up-size it if you want to see how big it can be printed. Foveon skin tones are right. I mean, it is what you see and not a guestimate of the camera. Under correct lighting results are more than awesome. Might give some more later in the week. The amplitude of HL/LL recovery is very large on this imagers, close to what you can do with a D800 (in the HL).

www.hulyssbowman.com/tempo/Lula/Test.tif

For sure, if SIGMA come up one day with a FF sensor ... I think it can be just Wow.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:56:59 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

jerome_m

I do not like the Hasselblad strategy of a lock in either (With phaseOne, I could get an AFD III as a backup body for not too much money eventually).

My understanding about "Hasselblad lock-in" is that the camera are locked, but not the backs. Wouldn't a Hasselblad back work with an old H1/H2 used as a backup body?

synn

• My fine art portfolio

My understanding about "Hasselblad lock-in" is that the camera are locked, but not the backs. Wouldn't a Hasselblad back work with an old H1/H2 used as a backup body?

Hi Jerome,

My understanding is that (correct me if I am wrong), if you want a backup body for an H3/H3II/H4/H5, the backup body must be from the same generation and has to be sent back to the factory along with the back for calibration.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up