Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7800 Driver Issues with iMac  (Read 3713 times)

alpsodelic

Epson 7800 Driver Issues with iMac
« on: October 06, 2013, 09:05:13 am »

Hi,
I have a mid 2011 iMac running OS10.8
From the get-go, I have not been able to print on my Epson StylusPro 7800. I have updated drivers, downgraded drivers, been on the phone with Epson and Apple, reset the Mac printing system, and just about everything else I could think of. THe printer just doesn't seem to be able to communicate with the computer. In spite of this, my newer and older macs communicate fine with the printer.
Any suggestions on how to solve this mystery?
Or Am I just out of luck?
Thanks
Andy Alpern
www.tziloom.com

John Chardine

• chardine photography
Re: Epson 7800 Driver Issues with iMac
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 10:27:50 am »

It's a shot in the dark but have you tried repairing disk permissions using Disk Utility?

Also, you may want to create a new user and see if you can print something from that new user. That would isolate it to something associated with your normal login ID.

alpsodelic

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 11:24:40 am »

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure I have repaired disk permission many times since I have tried to print the 1st time and failed. and I haven;t tried under a new User.
I'll try both of those.
Thanks and I'll report back
andy alpern

alpsodelic

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:44:23 pm »

So i created a new user and repaired permissions...still doesn't work. The printer dialog window says the printer is not connected, as it is trying to prints..but the utility connects and can even give me accurate ink levels. It's wierd. And no one at Apple or Epson seems to know what to do or what is causing it. Anyone?..Please!...I'm gonna have to sell the iMac if I cant get this figured out!
Thanks in advance!

howardm

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 09:56:11 pm »

are you sure you're actually using the Epson driver (vs. the Gutenprint driver) ?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 03:48:36 pm »

How are you connecting the printer, USB or Ethernet?

alpsodelic

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:40:19 am »

usb

alpsodelic

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 01:40:54 am »

yes...epson driver..maybe I should try the Gutenprint

swbshogun

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:55:42 am »

Use ethernet to connect to the printer.

The gutenprint driver will give you problems with colour amongst other things.

You probably have an ethernet switch that you can plug the printer into but if not you can plug it straight into the back of the iMac.  Hopefully the 9800 has Bonjour turned on so when you go to add a printer it will just show up.

alpsodelic

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 11:42:51 pm »

I don't have a network adapter for my printer

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 02:30:06 pm »

I don't have a network adapter for my printer
Strange problem.  Curious as to the other macs, how they are connected and what OS they are using.

You don't need a network adaptor, the 7800 has built in ethernet, and you can run a cable directly between the printer and the computer.  The mac should auto sense and thus you don't need to use a crossover cable.  (Although USB should work fine- you have tried a different cable?) as well if it works on other computers.  It is possible for the USB or the ethernet connection in an epson printer to fail with odd problems like this.

When installing the printer in the printer control center, make sure you use the add printer choice in the pop up menu when you click the plus button, do not select your printer when it shows in the menu (which will often use an apple generic driver).  When the next window opens you will see the printer with Bonjour next to it, wait for a minute and you should see the same printer with (IP).  While epson somewhere on it's site states you should use the bonjour choice instead of IP, I"ve had problems which have been solved (at the recommendation of Epson support) by using the IP choice. Once you select it, you should see the Epson SPro 11880 driver choice show up in the pop up menu.

when you said you reset the mac's printing system I'm assuming you did a right click in the printer window in the printer dialog box?  Did you do an uninstall of everything Epson first? Some have found my article helpful when doing this process.  You may also need to un-install built in drivers.

John Chardine

• chardine photography
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 03:57:52 pm »

I am running a 7600 off a Mac mini with the latest OS (10.8.5) via USB. Before trying the printer out at the previous owner's studio, I had installed the 7600 driver for 10.8 (Mountain Lion) directly from the Epson site on my Macbook Air (also 10.8.5). On the day of reckoning, I connected the 7600 to the Macbook Air via USB, ran Print and Scan System Preference, and if I remember rightly, the printer had already been added. I was printing about a minute after I got there and was very impressed with how easy it was, considering the "legacy" nature of the 7600.

cmcolorprinting

• CM Color Printing
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 08:16:45 am »

I think it's about the connector or drivers,
if you use USB, try another usb device with it to see if it work
and check the drivers, or use another printer to test!
@ CM Color Printing -  Professional Book Printing Services Provider from China!
http://www.cmcolorprinting.com/

alpsodelic

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 02:10:03 am »

Thanks for the reply. There is no built in Ethernet on the 7800. I'd have to buy an adapter, if one can be found, for almost $300

I did notice a firewire connection back there. Any ideas about this?

I am tyring the method from your article and different cables and such..will report back soon

aa

alpsodelic

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 02:11:08 am »

USB works fine with other devices

I think it's about the connector or drivers,
if you use USB, try another usb device with it to see if it work
and check the drivers, or use another printer to test!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 01:27:27 pm »

Thanks for the reply. There is no built in Ethernet on the 7800. I'd have to buy an adapter, if one can be found, for almost $300

I did notice a firewire connection back there. Any ideas about this?

I am tyring the method from your article and different cables and such..will report back soon

aa

My bad ... been so long since I've seen a 7800 I forgot about the use of firewire and not building in ethernet.

Firewire should work, you may need a fw800 to fw400 cable (I think the 2011 iMacs only had a FW800 port anyway).

Pages: [1]   Go Up