Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laminate film and static electricity  (Read 5451 times)

jferrari

Laminate film and static electricity
« on: October 06, 2013, 08:43:46 am »

Looking for advice on how to deal with dust and static electricity while working with overlaminate films and vacuum presses. Currently the RH is near 60% but will be dropping very soon as winter approaches. I am in the northeast US. I keep the studio pretty clean and wipe down all surfaces just prior to laminating but notice more and more static issues as I remove the backing paper from the film. I will be introducing some moisture to the space via a humidifier but I'm wondering if any of you use some type of anti-static spray or powder? Or something else?  TIA      - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

framah

Re: Laminate film and static electricity
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 10:53:02 am »

One of the things to do is to pull back  the release paper a couple of inches and set it onto the piece to be laminated. Then pull the release paper out slowly from under the laminate till it is all off.

This way you lessen the opportunity of little specks getting under the laminate.

I then take a static brush and brush the top surface of the laminate which helps lower the static charge as well as smoothing out the laminate.
I hope you are using the pre perforated laminate as it makes it easier for the air to escape and minimize bubbles.
Drytac makes a very good laminate.

A whole room air filter helps as well. Turn it on for an hour or so before working and it should help keep the dusty bits from floating onto your work.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

jferrari

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:11:24 am »

Thanks, Framah. That is the technique I've been using and I am using the perf'ed products from Drytac and Seal/Bienfang. I'll give the brush a try and install a room filter unit like the one I use in the wood shop.

framah

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 02:03:19 pm »

You might want to eliminate the Beinfang laminating products as they have been sold off and the laminate coming in under the DK Impressions label is pure crap.
I bought a  roll, assuming it was still Beinfang and I laminated a canvas and it turned all of my nice blue sky green.  The laminate had a distinct yellow cast to it. Sent it back and got another roll with the same problem.

Whatever it is going on, it is definitely an inferior product from what Beinfang used to make and sell.

Who in their right mind would think that it would be ok to sell a laminate with a color cast to it when it is specifically being used to cover art?
Went and bought a roll of Drytac and I was back in business.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 05:57:17 pm »

How big is the room?  I have an autofill humidifier which does a nice job of keeping a 25x25 foot room at 45%, if you have plumbing access to a place to run the small tubing.  Pretty easy to maintain.  This keeps the humidity at 45% for my Epson printers and is really is easy to maintain.

I also have a Kinetronics anti static air nozzle which works very well if you have clean compressed air available.   A few puffs and the static is pretty much gone.  There are quite a few other companies  selling anti  static air/guns and knifes depending on your budget.

jferrari

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:58:08 pm »

The Bienfang stock came with the press and is almost gone. I've got two rolls of the Drytac and one roll of RemiMatte and no color-cast issues. Thanks again for your help.

jferrari

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »

I've already got a humidifier but I really like the one that you have. The auto-fill feature would be a big time saver. I really like the looks of the Kinetronics unit. I've got shop air in the studio so I think I will look into getting one of those for the winter season. Thanks for your help Wayne.

PatrickAllen

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 05:35:47 pm »

We have been using the StopStatic Cords kit which have been pretty effective. Of course you need to have a multi-layered approach and the stop static strings are only part of a greater workflow but they do there job.

Cheers,
Patrick
Ken Allen Studios

jferrari

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 08:48:58 am »

Thanks for the tip Patrick. I've got some copper tinsel that I'm going to rig up to my media rack because it's cheap to try. Plus, I shaved the cat...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 07:24:06 pm »

Plus, I shaved the cat...

rofl ... that will help ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up