Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another View in Paris  (Read 1360 times)

cjogo

Another View in Paris
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:40:46 pm »

Think this is near Pompadour  :o

cjogo

Re: Another View in Paris
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 02:41:42 pm »

150mm lens with a Softar 1  ( my fav filter of the day )

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »

Funny how we used to pay a fortune for the Zeiss glass and then pay another small fortune for the Softars.  I am guilty as charged, your Honour.

Funny thing is that many of the Zeiss lenses (the 150mm in particular) were not all that sharp to begin with.  But the Softars lent some atmosphere to the world.

I then moved on to Harrison Black Dots and Frosts.  Particularly glowy with a three-quarter back-light.

Enchanting pic Joe.

W

cjogo

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 09:06:00 pm »

I think it was a  Black Net 77mm I used for portraits /weddings -- 

cjogo

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 02:40:25 am »

Funny how we used to pay a fortune for the Zeiss glass and then pay another small fortune for the Softars.  I am guilty as charged, your Honour.

Funny thing is that many of the Zeiss lenses (the 150mm in particular) were not all that sharp to begin with.  But the Softars lent some atmosphere to the world.

I then moved on to Harrison Black Dots and Frosts.  Particularly glowy with a three-quarter back-light.

Enchanting pic Joe.

W

The 120 Macro was one of the sharpest -- My 250mm was very sharp :-)

WalterEG

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 03:58:25 am »

Yes Joe,

The 120mm was a cracker, and so too was the later introduced 180mm.

I splurged and bought the 250mm Super-Achromat which redefined sharp at the time.

I also far preferred the 100mm to the 80mm.

cjogo

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 04:05:42 am »

The Rollei SL > especially for travel   <  because of the light weight Zeiss  (without shutter ) -- the 250mm was tiny ~!!c

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 11:30:03 am »

There was/is a potential shot...not the one as posted though. Cropping off the top and right side of the treillage arch...but leaving the left side...hacked off radiuses that visually work against the other arches? ..makes no sense at all to me. It's quite a leap but it could have been about "three receding arches"...not terribly interesting.  The thing that IS interesting in what you posted...is one of the most famous stores in the world...La Samaritaine ca. 1869 in the bg...framed by the smaller arch.  Even though the name is cut off the name is still recognizable.  The blue rectangle illustrates just one possibility....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:32:55 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

cjogo

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 12:41:19 pm »

There was/is a potential shot...not the one as posted though. Cropping off the top and right side of the treillage arch...but leaving the left side...hacked off radiuses that visually work against the other arches? ..makes no sense at all to me. It's quite a leap but it could have been about "three receding arches"...not terribly interesting.  The thing that IS interesting in what you posted...is one of the most famous stores in the world...La Samaritaine ca. 1869 in the bg...framed by the smaller arch.  Even though the name is cut off the name is still recognizable.  The blue rectangle illustrates just one possibility....

One lens -- one spot to set the tripod... Any lens wider would include a hoard of people.   Needed to be more of a rectangular camera .   Sure with 35mm  zoom and room to move with a hand-held >> would had been more of a chance = to create a better composition ;)  And yes, the main composition was to capture La Samaritaine ~!    ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:54:32 pm by cjogo »

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »

Joe - a thought....the "User Critiques" forum is about "what one posts"...not what one could've posted. Someone posts something in this forum because they ostensibly want a critique on...that image. We all could've shot something a different way, with a different camera, different lens, different filters, with a tripod, without a tripod, a different frame of mind, on a different day...but this forum is not really about that.  Cheers, B
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:07:55 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

cjogo

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 01:15:42 pm »

Joe - a thought....the "User Critiques" forum is about "what one posts"...not what one could've posted. Someone posts something in this forum because they ostensibly want a critique on...that image. We all could've shot something a different way, with a different camera, different lens, different filters, with a tripod, without a tripod, a different frame of mind, on a different day...but this forum is not really about that.  Cheers, B

>but leaving the left side...hacked off radiuses that visually work against the other arches? ..makes no sense at all to me
< I was just trying to explain the sense to it  :D

Great suggestion on that "crop"  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:18:51 pm by cjogo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up