Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New study says online piracy isn’t hurting entertainment industry  (Read 1092 times)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images

Read here..

Actually helping.. hmmm.. some of us have been saying this all along and why some of the big names make piracy so easy.  What better way to increase your user base..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

SunnyUK

Re: New study says online piracy isn’t hurting entertainment industry
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:02:47 am »

There is actually quite a larger number of studies saying piracy isn't hurting the entertainment industry. And that must be nice and reassuring if you're one of the handful of large international entertainment industry companies. It's not so nice though if you're a struggling painter, an indie band playing at local pubs, a geek trying to make a living out of writing software, or a photographer.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: New study says online piracy isn’t hurting entertainment industry
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:35:19 am »

Not convinced by some things stated.

“Despite the Motion Picture Association of America’s (MPAA) claim that online piracy is devastating the movie industry, Hollywood achieved record-breaking global box office revenues of $35 billion in 2012, a 6% increase over 2011,” the report states.

Doesn't account for the fact that ticket prices may have have increased/inflation in general. Nor that more turnover doesn't necessarily equal more profit.
Also of note is that the variety of films that can be seen seems to be favouring big, safe and profitable blockbuster event type movies. Which are all fine and dandy, but even though I love pasta I don't want it for every meal and even I'm getting a bit fed up with action Sci-Fi/Marvel type films despite being a fan of those genres and I'm really miss the interesting art house stuff that the multiplex used to show when it was owned by a French company. Maintaining profits are not the only indicators of health of the entertainment industry. Rare to see anything new and different tried these days as it's mostly remakes, sequels and adaptations of already popular subjects.

and this...

And while music sales have faced steeper declines in recent years, the authors say those numbers have largely been balanced out by increased sales in live performance and other outlets.
Which only benefits certain specific types of musical forms and already established bands who already have a big fanbase. This also tends to mean music is more staid than it used to be and it'd also be nice to hear music that didn't sound like it could have been made at any time in the last 40 years and sounded of now instead. Imagine growing up in the 1960s/70s/80s/90s and the music all sounded like it was made in the 1930s/40s/50s.
Music used to be how teens rebelled against their parents, now their parents are likely to say, 'that sounds just like what I listened to at school'.

Piracy may be strangling the entertainment industries more in a creative sense rather than a financial way.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up