Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can a MF screen lie? Need Advice..  (Read 1364 times)

WeatherMan

Can a MF screen lie? Need Advice..
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:39:57 am »

Just had 14 rolls of film (processed and scanned) returned from the lab. Damn it! Eight rolls seriously out of focus and I suspect my gear naturally. Used the same combination for awhile now -- a Nikon F80 and Nikon FE with a 50mm 1.8D lens. I have narrowed it down to the FE+50 1.8D. I have shot multiple rolls (BW, Colour print, Colour slide) this way for a few years and not had a problem until now.

I'd like to know, is it possible to have a Manual focus screen out of alignment with the lens? Thus giving you a false confirmation? Nikon says yes but could not give specifics when I pushed for more detail. This might have been an entry level tech I was speaking too. Examining the pictures from the criminal rolls, I noticed a tendency to front focus. Running a test roll of the FE (not processed yet) I noticed infinity is off -- barrel of lens to what I see through the VF and Manual screen in that the camera focusses on a very distant object and the lens shows well ahead of infinity to 20 ft.

Interesting, I tested the 50 1.8D on my D700. Does not seem to exhibit focus errors. Selecting AF and setting for very distant object and barrel of lens goes to infinity. Hmm..

Seems like it is the FE. What can I do about that.. Nikon will not fix, they say they no longer have parts...

So much for film -- this was an expensive happenstance and I will never get the time back either.

I would appreciate any advice!   

jerome_m

Re: Can a MF screen lie? Need Advice..
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:49:05 am »

You are in the wrong forum, but the answer is yes: the focus screen can be out of alignment. Since the screen is user exchangeable on the FE, the frame which holds it may simply be out of place. The procedure to exchange the screen is described here, have a look whether you can push the frame back in place (without touching the screen, please!).

WeatherMan

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 12:22:43 pm »

Right now camera does not appear to have a shifted screen -- moves unimpeded, smoothly and ends flush with the mirror on a test fire. I will have to take a closer look and follow your link for the instructions. 
Thanks.

Have you ever had filtration interfere with manual focussing (question mrk). I am shooting B&W with a red for sky contrast..

Ken R

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 12:54:00 pm »

Right now camera does not appear to have a shifted screen -- moves unimpeded, smoothly and ends flush with the mirror on a test fire. I will have to take a closer look and follow your link for the instructions. 
Thanks.

Have you ever had filtration interfere with manual focussing (question mrk). I am shooting B&W with a red for sky contrast..

Easy test: Put up a good high contrast target on a wall at a distance that is written on the distance scale of the lens you used. Say, 15 feet. Take a shot using scale focusing and then another one focusing using the focusing screen. You can repeat that at several distances. Check results and see if there is an offset.

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:33:44 pm »

Easy test: Put up a good high contrast target on a wall at a distance that is written on the distance scale of the lens you used. Say, 15 feet. Take a shot using scale focusing and then another one focusing using the focusing screen. You can repeat that at several distances. Check results and see if there is an offset.

I would not trust the lens distance scale to give you anywhere near accurate enough focusing to judge the accuracy of VF focusing.  Try this.  Put the camera, empty, on a hefty tripod and lock it down good and tight. Open the back (should not be a problem with the FE, which has a hinged back if I recall correctly), but a piece of ground glass up against the film rails and focus using a good loupe.  Insert film without moving anything and take a shot of your target.  Focus using the VF and repeat.  Develop and compare.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:38:44 pm by AFairley »
Pages: [1]   Go Up