Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Politics and Such  (Read 33370 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: National Parks Closure
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 12:40:26 pm »

... current roughly 60% of the country would like Obamacare at least delayed...

And the source of that is...? Other than Faux News, that is.

The biggest fear for Republicons is not that Obamacare would not work. That outcome would work in their favor. They should actually be the first one requesting a speedier implementation: the sooner it starts, the sooner it would collapse, allowing them to gloat "I told you so" and get the whole country behind their request to repeal it.

No, their biggest fear is that it actually might work. That's why they are trying so rabidly to stop it.

Isaac

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 01:38:23 pm »

Do you think it's unreasonable that the people who use National Parks should pay more for maintenance than the people who don't use them?
Your question is a non sequitur, ...

No, it was just a question, not part of an argument.

... but either way, I think that if they're National Parks, general taxation should fund them. They are national resource, available to all citizens. If some choose not to use them, that's their decision.

You don't seem familiar with US National Parks, and I mistakenly thought you were trying to understand how they operate.

dhancock

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 02:49:02 pm »

I know too many people from other countries, that have had physical problems, and would have died if they hadn't come to the U.S. for better healthcare. Yes, government run healthcare may be free for all, but not accessible to all. If I need to wait 2 years to get a cast on my broken arm, that's BAD! Even worse, if I have cancer, and have to wait that long = YIKES. I'll be dead before then.  8)

:P

Floyd Davidson

• Images From Barrow Alaska
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 03:35:45 pm »

I know too many people from other countries, that have had physical problems, and would have died if they hadn't come to the U.S. for better healthcare. Yes, government run healthcare may be free for all, but not accessible to all. If I need to wait 2 years to get a cast on my broken arm, that's BAD! Even worse, if I have cancer, and have to wait that long = YIKES. I'll be dead before then.  8)

Sure... that's why the US is so far down the list on figures for longevity!  The World Health Organization put the US at 33, while Japan is number 1 (2011).  The 32 countries where you are more likely to live longer than in the US all, virtually by definition, have a "better healthcare system"!

The country that has the best medical facilities is the US, and for those who can get it, whether citizens or foreigners, it is great.  But the country that spends the most on health care and delivers it to the lowest percentage of the population is the US.

You've fabricated unrealistic  scenarios to denigrate countries with better health care systems than ours.  We have the national wealth to produce the best doctors, the best hospitals, etc etc to provide the best medical treatment available anywhere in the world!  But we also have one of the worst health care systems.

Worse than the figures for longevity are those for infant mortality.  The UN ranks the United States as the 50th down the list (Japan is at number 2).  Even that does not tell the real horror though.  In the wealthiest nation in the world, there are areas where the infant mortality rate is two or more times the national average!  No, not just poor regions either; the difference are racial!  Native Americans, who are supposed to get "free" medical care from the US Government typically have poor medical facilites.  (An example is where I live, on the North Slope of Alaska, which is per capita one of the wealthiest locations in the US, but also is primarily Alaska Native by race and depends entirely on Indian Health Service funded hospital services.  The infant mortality rates are not as high as on the average Indian reservation, but they are closer to that than to the national average.)

The point of course is that President Obama and the Democrats in Congress have at least tried very diligently to actually improve the health care delivery system in this country.  The Republicans have tried very hard to protect the insurance industry.  Guess who donates the most money for polictical campaigns?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 03:44:33 pm »

And the source of that is...? Other than Faux News, that is.

Hi Slobodan, Interesting that watchership on your "faux" news keeps increasing while watchership on the traditional networks keeps falling. Eventually people figure out they're being lied to. But yes, Fox is one of the sources for this info, and I gave an approximation. The actual figure: 57% would like to delay and 54% would like to repeal. The figures change at a rapid pace.

I notice that you didn't address the bribes the Dems had to make to pass the law. Maybe that was something made up by "faux" news?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2013, 03:59:16 pm »

Hi Slobodan, Interesting that watchership on your "faux" news keeps increasing while watchership on the traditional networks keeps falling...

Not interesting... sad, sad, sad... and utterly dangerous.

Isaac

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2013, 04:09:55 pm »

Interesting that watchership on your "faux" news keeps increasing while watchership on the traditional networks keeps falling.

That might be interesting if we knew more about the claim. As it stands, "watchership" might simply mean those who still get their news from couch cable TV rather than tablets and phones.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2013, 04:35:17 pm »

Hi Slobodan, Interesting that watchership on your "faux" news keeps increasing while watchership on the traditional networks keeps falling. Eventually people figure out they're being lied to. But yes, Fox is one of the sources for this info, and I gave an approximation. The actual figure: 57% would like to delay and 54% would like to repeal. The figures change at a rapid pace.

According to Forbes Magazine, only 33% of Americans want Obamacare delayed, defunded, or repealed. Given Faux (love it!) News's long and documented history of lies and distortions, guess which I will believe? Oh wait, Forbes is a noted liberal rag, right?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2013, 04:49:36 pm »

In a fit of anger her majesty Queen Elizabeth II issued the following letter to the citizens of United States of America:

Revocation of Independence

Love #7  :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:01:53 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

dhancock

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2013, 06:12:15 pm »

I have yet to see a news source that doesn't seem to bend the news. For example, how many of you knew about the other Aurora shooting? The one that definitely shows how negative gun control really is. http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/12175-two-aurora-shootings-one-widely-known-the-other-ignored

Oh, and as far as America being one of the wealthiest countries, look at our debt. Tell me how long you can survive with that.

And believe me, McDonalds and donuts aren't too good for longevity.

Floyd Davidson

• Images From Barrow Alaska
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2013, 07:12:15 pm »

For example, how many of you knew about the other Aurora shooting? The one that definitely shows how negative gun control really is. http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/12175-two-aurora-shootings-one-widely-known-the-other-ignored

That article does not support the concept of "how negative gun control really is."  The citizen with a weapn who killed the perpetrator... was a police officer.  No ordinary citizen with a gun, but an official who is extremely well trained and it most likely required to carry a weapn even when not on duty.

The intent of gun control, whether it is able to accomplish it or not, is to make it more difficult for that perpetrator to have obtained his weapon in the first place.  Two men might still be alive if we could have found at least a partial solution before that date.  The next person to die due to gun violence might not die, if only...

dhancock

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2013, 08:38:36 pm »

If only they didn't steal the gun from someone else, and then shoot the innocent person, because they are a crooked, bad person?  >:( But if every good guy has a gun, they won't want to even think about it. Would you want to rob a bank, if everyone in it, around it, and coming into it had a gun?  I sure wouldn't!

Not that I would anyway.  8)

dhancock

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2013, 10:07:23 pm »

And to clarify, there are rules about needing training to get a concealed carry license. Gun are tools, as spoons are. Yet no one blames spoons for making them fat. I wouldn't think that someone who has history of being drunk should carry a gun.

If every teacher carried a concealed gun, do you think you would still be hearing of mass shootings? An old lady can defend herself against a 200.lbs hunk of muscle with a gun.

dreed

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:24 pm »

As well as paying a lot of money it is difficult to get visas for the States which involves a lot of time and effort.

Heh. I believe that the VISA waiver program for the USA was introduced so that people could fly to the USA on business or pleasure without needing to get a VISA because of the problems government shutdowns (and thus embassy/consulate shutdowns) had on people trying to get them.

dreed

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2013, 11:16:43 pm »

Report on what Republicans think

The meme that is currently growing is that the Republicans hate Obamacare because (a) it might actually work and (b) people might actually like it. The problem for them is the millions of people that currently vote Republican could benefit and like Obamacare and thus decide not to vote Republican.

New York Times: Why the health care law scares to the GOP

"The only possible conclusion from all this is that the law's opponents have succeeded brilliantly in marketing "Obamacare" as something it's not, and its defenders have failed miserably at communicating what it is."

LA Times: The truth is, Americans love Obamacare
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:20:40 pm by dreed »

dreed

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2013, 11:27:46 pm »

The intent of gun control, whether it is able to accomplish it or not, is to make it more difficult for that perpetrator to have obtained his weapon in the first place.  Two men might still be alive if we could have found at least a partial solution before that date.  The next person to die due to gun violence might not die, if only...

The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 1
The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 2
The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 3

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:18:42 am by dreed »

dreed

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2013, 11:54:19 pm »

Evidently this shut down is not bothering the climbers on El Capitan.  Many are still up there and I wonder how long they plan to stay. We don't see anyone telling them to come down.  I love it!! 

But if they run into trouble, as others have in the past, who will rescue them?

From Google's cache:
Climbers rescued from El Capitan

That is to say that one of their "safety nets" is now not going to be there if they run into life threatening trouble.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2013, 12:40:12 am »

... That is to say that one of their "safety nets" is now not going to be there if they run into life threatening trouble.

Eliminating safety nets is so very Republican... and (according to them) so Christian. Helps self-reliance, eliminates "culture of dependance," etc.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:16:56 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

dhancock

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2013, 09:34:05 am »

I don't like youtube (it absorbs to much time), so I looked it up online for an article. Basically, maybe Australia doesn't have the mass shootings. BUT, what about other violence? The cure for mass shootings is more individuals who carry guns, to stop the shootings before they make progress. The old lady can't defend herself against the big guy with the club (or vegetable peeler), if she doesn't have a gun.

And no, there aren't enough police to be everywhere.  :-\
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up