Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Politics and Such  (Read 33356 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: National Parks Closure
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2013, 03:09:48 pm »

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else"

Winston Churchill

;)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2013, 04:02:54 pm »

Poverty is a crime?

There's a large group of reality-detached people, Stamper, who believe that poverty causes crime. They believe that if you take enough money from people who've worked and earned it and give it to people who don't work, and are poverty-stricken, you'll eliminate crime. That this is ridiculous on the face of it doesn't penetrate, because in college that's the theory they memorized and parroted back, and if reality doesn't fit theory, reality must be wrong.

There was far more poverty during the great depression than there's been since, but there was, relatively, a lot less crime. The theorists won't face that fact because it would blow their theory to hell.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2013, 05:00:12 pm »

Just off the top of my head, no academic papers or theories behind, the three most crime-ridden cities (per-capita) are Camden (New Jersey), Flint and Detroit (Michigan). It must be a pure statistical fluke then that they are also some of the most poverty-stricken areas in the US?

RSL

« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2013, 05:39:13 pm »

No fluke at all, Slobodan, those are three of the cities where large amounts of taxpayer money are being handed out to help reduce crime, now without any work requirement. The result has been broken families, drug dependency, and schools that can't teach. I grew up in a suburb of Detroit. When I left in 1951 Detroit was a beautiful city. Nowadays the only way I'd go downtown in Detroit would be if I were in a Hummer with a  quad fifty mounted on it.

Isaac

« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2013, 06:13:01 pm »

Detroit does feature in the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places but that's currently unavailable -- http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/detroit/‎

Contingency Plans for Operations in the Absence of Appropriations
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:08:41 pm by Isaac »

dhancock

« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2013, 09:18:12 pm »

Unfortunately, most inner city dwellers know little about how to live, how to save money, how to work hard, and how to keep clean: not all, but many. This results in a lack of money and run down buildings, because it often takes money to earn money. And yes, they don't learn how to work or save money, when the government provides for them. Teaching them that they are just elevated monkeys doesn't help either, because animals do whatever they want, and they have no reason to value others. That isn't even scientific! According to Science Daily, scientific method "is based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning, the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses." Yet, no scientist has every been able to give an example of absolute nothing becoming something. See more at Evolution vs God.

Yes, there are some youtube movies I have been convinced to watch.  :o

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:03 pm »

Oh, dear Lord (metaphorically)! How much drivel can this thread bear!?

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2013, 10:04:47 pm »

« Reply #105 on: Today at 08:18:12 PM »
   ReplyReply
Unfortunately, most inner city dwellers know little about how to live, how to save money, how to work hard, and how to keep clean: not all, but many. This results in a lack of money and run down buildings, because it often takes money to earn money. And yes, they don't learn how to work or save money, when the government provides for them. Teaching them that they are just elevated monkeys doesn't help either, because animals do whatever they want, and they have no reason to value others.

How do I phrase this politely??

OK GAME OVER - MICHAEL PLEASE CLOSE

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to lens optics or software design.  But this is not not true.  Your perspective is off and you don't know it.  Poverty does not always make sense and your explanation is just plain wrong and opinionated. Obviously you have no connection what so ever with the subject.  It is OK not to understand but don't try and contrive your own tiny world perspective.  Sorry to have to be so direct and I guess Rude. 

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:12:20 pm by HSakols »

stamper

« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2013, 04:26:16 am »

If someone loses a job and can't find one and they don't get financial help then in order to live stealing becomes an option? The threat of being jailed isn't frightening because if it happens then they will have a roof over their head and three square meals a day which they couldn't purchase otherwise. Obviously some people think they are immune from poverty because they have a "dependable" job. Unfortunately many intelligent and hard working people have ended up in the gutter. Some compassion for your fellow human being is needed because ANYONE can end up there. With regards to comparing people to monkeys then this is seriously deranged talk. :o

SunnyUK

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2013, 05:59:15 am »

So... about the national parks... does anyone still think that's a serious problem when compared with all the other parts of your society that is suffering as a result of some politicians not having learnt to play by the rules?

Rocco Penny

« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2013, 09:00:16 am »

I see most people in NPs as interlopers, not all, but dang near to the person,
monkeys aren't as good a metaphor as goats-
Let me explain...
A goat is a goat-never will you expect the goat to learn to wait its turn, or to be polite, or to care in the least what happens to you.
You can see it as they're assaulting small children, old people, and the just dumb...
They just don't care,  not mad, not anything, just don't care...if you make friends with them somehow, well then you may come out of any interaction without huffing and puffing, but more than likely, if you go into the field with my goats, you are gonna get the worse end of it.
Many visitors to tourist destinations act like my goats-
when I have open studio, I like to have a goat tied out front, keeps the human goats from looking so well, goatlike to me

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2013, 09:33:40 am »

.... With regards to comparing people to monkeys then this is seriously deranged talk. :o

He had in mind a widespread simplification of the theory of evolution, ie, that humans evolved from monkeys. Not that I condone the context he used it in.

RSL

« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2013, 09:50:26 am »

So... about the national parks... does anyone still think that's a serious problem when compared with all the other parts of your society that is suffering as a result of some politicians not having learnt to play by the rules?

Sunny, if you were to read the Constitution you'd understand that these ARE the rules. People seem to think what's going on is some kind of aberration. History will tell you that's not true.

RSL

« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2013, 09:52:05 am »

ONCE AGAIN PLEASE CLOSE THREAD

Yes. It's pretty evident that cluelessness is contagious.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2013, 09:56:09 am »

ONCE AGAIN PLEASE CLOSE THREAD

You do realize that, as the one who started the thread, you have the power to close it? Not that I suggest you should.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2013, 10:02:13 am »

... these ARE the rules...

Russ, many criminals walked away free based on technicalities, ie, strict following of rules. So, you are right, this seems to be just another example ;)

Isaac

« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2013, 12:35:11 pm »

You do realize that, as the one who started the thread, you have the power to close it? Not that I suggest you should.

So that's what the "Lock topic" link at the bottom-left of the page is for!

Isaac

« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2013, 01:09:05 pm »

Yet, no scientist has every been able to give an example of absolute nothing becoming something.

Please give an example of "absolute nothing".

What is the weight in pounds of the color green?

When you ask grammatically correct questions that make no sense, the problem is with the question not the answer.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:10:16 pm by Isaac »

RSL

« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2013, 01:35:11 pm »

Russ, many criminals walked away free based on technicalities, ie, strict following of rules.

And you think that's caused by the Constitution? If so, Slobodan, how about enlightening us and explaining the connection.

Isaac

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2013, 01:41:37 pm »

Please start a topic "US Political opinions"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up