Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: hasselblad v system  (Read 19410 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: hasselblad v system
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2013, 08:42:32 am »

The real price of a mass-produced digital back is easy to compute. Take a Leica M, and divide by the price of a 6D. Now you know the "knowledgable dealer" markup, the "luxury branding" markup and the "European production" markup, and of course the "small market" markup. .

Now scale the price of a Phase back in the same way.

Digital backs are the Ferraris of photography and the Nikons and Canons are the Chevvies;  it's time someone built a Mercedes.

I'm willing to bet that Pentax will have a $6K MF camera within 3 years if no one else does it.

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:47:43 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

LenR

Re: hasselblad v system
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2013, 01:40:25 pm »

Hi Edmund,
It looks like Nikon might.

BJL

hasselblad v system: Pentax 645D as a measure of lowest viable DMF pricing
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 10:08:29 am »

The real price of a mass-produced digital back is easy to compute. Take a Leica M, and divide by the price of a 6D. Now you know the "knowledgable dealer" markup, the "luxury branding" markup and the "European production" markup, and of course the "small market" markup. .

Now scale the price of a Phase back in the same way.

Digital backs are the Ferraris of photography and the Nikons and Canons are the Chevvies;  it's time someone built a Mercedes.

I'm willing to bet that Pentax will have a $6K MF camera within 3 years if no one else does it.

Edmund

I suggest that the "rich dilettante prestige pricing premium" for Leica is far greater than for Phase One/Mamiya/Leaf. More to the point, I doubt that there is any significant prestige premium for the Pentax 645D system, so that system provides a far better way to assess the prestige premium and the current economically viable price floor for DMF: I suggest comparing Pentax 645D pricing to that of alternatives with comparable sensors from Hasselblad or "Team Phase One".

I agree that Pentax seems likely to continue to be the most affordable medium format option. For the record, the 645D price is currently US$7,000 for a body with 44x33mm, 40MP sensor, though that likely reflects the significant "price aging" typical with a three year old model: the original release price of US$10,000 is often a better predictor of the release price for a subsequent model.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: hasselblad v system: Pentax 645D as a measure of lowest viable DMF pricing
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2013, 04:35:02 pm »

As you suggested I looked up pricing.
Pentax 40MP was $10K is now $7K@ B&H
Hassy  40MP H5D new model is now $18K @B&H

Although the H5 is very recent, we seem to have a 1.8 multiplier with the original Pentax price. As I believe the H5 is manufactured by Fuji, and the sensors are similar if not identical, I would conclude that Hasselblad could buy Pentax cameras at retail, stick new labels and a precious wood handle on, resell them and still share $8K in profit with their retailers. Oh, wait, that's exactly the model they are trying for with Lunar and Stellar - buy from Sony, add handle, resell, maybe they're not really loony, just applying a business model which has worked for them, and worked for Leica (Panasonic), but which is now more crassly exposed - after all Leica don't bother to put a crafted handle on their Dlux, they just add ... a label.

BTW, I have been surprised, no shocked, to learn that luxury brands buy in most of their products. Who would have thought?

Edmund

I suggest that the "rich dilettante prestige pricing premium" for Leica is far greater than for Phase One/Mamiya/Leaf. More to the point, I doubt that there is any significant prestige premium for the Pentax 645D system, so that system provides a far better way to assess the prestige premium and the current economically viable price floor for DMF: I suggest comparing Pentax 645D pricing to that of alternatives with comparable sensors from Hasselblad or "Team Phase One".

I agree that Pentax seems likely to continue to be the most affordable medium format option. For the record, the 645D price is currently US$7,000 for a body with 44x33mm, 40MP sensor, though that likely reflects the significant "price aging" typical with a three year old model: the original release price of US$10,000 is often a better predictor of the release price for a subsequent model.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:29:22 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up