Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping a 30x40 Canvas  (Read 7403 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Shipping a 30x40 Canvas
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:22 am »

What is the best material to put against the canvas for shipping?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Shipping a 30x40 Canvas
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:43:56 am »

Stretched or not Stretched?  if not stretched, I would use a layer of non-tack material, non-tack facing the printed side.  Also called release paper.  When I ship a canvas of this size, I use a poly coated kraft paper placing the poly coating facing the canvas and roll it up.  Then place it in a strong tube.

If it's a stretched canvas, then you pretty much need a special box, within a box.  Box around the 30 x 40 with a sheet of foam core on the face of the print, then place that box inside a separate box and then hope it's not destroyed by UPS.  This is how the web companies like simply canvas ship.  It's expensive but keeps the print protected.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:07:27 am »

I use glassine on top of photographic papers and canvas.  Layer that with other packing materials, including foam blanket and plastic bag (keeps it in place) and corner guards. Sandwich between sheet of corrugated cardboard, and box well.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:18:06 pm »

. . . Box around the 30 x 40 with a sheet of foam core on the face of the print, then place that box inside a separate box and then hope it's not destroyed by UPS. . .

Send by FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery, or Priority Mail, and the box will arrive much more in the shape it was shipped in than if it goes UPS Ground.  Stated based on having shipped over 50,000 packages in a previous business.

When I ship stretched canvases, I am always scared to death.  However, I haven't had a single problem with FedEx Ground/Home Delivery/Priority Mail.  I don't even insure the packages for more than the amount they let you insure it for without extra charge.  I decided to go the route with packaging that would be adequate for a normal person moving a box around - but certainly less than adequate for what the shippers recommend - and substantially less than adequate for what UPS Ground would need for packaging.  I often have a whopping 1" of packaging material around the canvas, and use a single box, but do use extra pieces of cardboard.

Somewhat crazy choice, but I made it for several reasons.  The cost of a package goes up substantially when the size of the box goes up (dimensional weight.)  The money I save by not paying for insurance should balance out well for the cost of re-printing a non-original piece of artwork that can easily be replaced.  (Someday something will get damaged.)  If something happens to a package, I can easily tell the customer it's taken care of, and not have to fight to get an insurance claim paid when they're going to say it was inadequately packaged unless a ridiculous amount of packaging is used.

For the material, I use a combination of foam in roll format and bubble wrap.  I typically foam wrap the canvas piece, and tape on a single wall piece of cardboard on the front and the back.  Then, I use bubble wrap to fill the rest of the box.  This way, bubble wrap isn't going to push on the canvas and make it looser or create dents being pressed on the stretcher bars.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Mike Sellers

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 11:45:23 am »

I can`t find 30x40 foam core around here so I had to make do with cardboard and bubble wrap. I am going to ship FedEx. Thanks for the tips.

framah

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 03:30:16 pm »

Where ARE you that you can't find a single frame shop or hobby store?

They ALL sell foamcore in 32x40 sheets.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Mike Sellers

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 04:10:01 pm »

unfortunately not within 60 miles!

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 07:40:00 pm »

Do you have a Staples close by?  They sell 30x40 foam core.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 08:47:09 pm »

our Staples closed recently

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »

Geez!  I don't think I ever saw a Staples close.  At least FedEx still comes by though.  Good luck with the packaging.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 05:53:33 am »

Your location in the world could be a major factor in finding supplies?
Takes a little time to find good suppliers,but they are out there.
I buy a lot from Decor Moulding and especially Harbor Sales in Sudlersville,Md.
They run trucks my direction 3 days a week no extra charge.
Call them one day have my order the next morning at 7 am.
Just got a small order yesterday of a couple of sheets of Dibond and Gatorboard ,no minimum.
I also get the cases of 40 x60" foam board and then just cut them down to whatever size is needed.
Some extra space and a few extra dollars is required to stock pile consumables but when you need them you know you have them.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:06:47 am by Dan Berg »

ddolde

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 06:29:29 pm »

Beware of Harbor Sales. I ordered four sheets of 48 x 96 x 3/8 Gatorboard. Had it cut into 36 x 48 plus 24 x 48.

Arrived poorly packaged UPS. By that I mean only one layer cardboard box with no corner protection. Every single sheet had at least a broken corner, some were much worse.

I asked them to replace the order as it was unusable as I had planned. They refused but gave me a 60% credit on the shipment. They claimed no matter how well they packed it, it would likely get damaged.  Total BS, laziness, and refusal to take responsibility.  They could have easily packed it in corner reinforced boxes as well as wrapping in bubble wrap.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 07:56:14 pm »

Mine comes on the company truck, never an issue.
Take pictures and request they file a shipping damage claim.
Works every time. Have had quite a few things come through damaged from other companies.
Lately it has been Chromaluxe Metals. No protection at all other then the outer cardboard layer??
2 Pictures sent to sales and I got 20 new blanks 3 days later.

ddolde

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 08:02:52 pm »

Mine comes on the company truck, never an issue.
Take pictures and request they file a shipping damage claim.
Works every time. Have had quite a few things come through damaged from other companies.
Lately it has been Chromaluxe Metals. No protection at all other then the outer cardboard layer??
2 Pictures sent to sales and I got 20 new blanks 3 days later.

I'm done with Harbor. They COULD pack Gator well enough to survive a UPS Ground delivery to California but they WON'T !

Lazy or cheap take your pick.  Irresponsible in either case
Pages: [1]   Go Up