Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB 3.0 import question  (Read 2423 times)

RRSPhoto

USB 3.0 import question
« on: October 01, 2013, 09:56:16 pm »

I use a Lenovo Ultra book for my photography. It has one USB 3.0 port and additional 2.0 ports which I use with a USAB 3.0 card reader. I backup my pictures at home and keep the backup drive safe. I went through all my fast cards and more at a weekend event last month. I also had Windows update problems. I bought an external HD so that I could do import backups through LR on the road.  If I import, using the 3.0 port, to the Ultra Book with a copy to the external drive on a USB 2.0 port will the whole process slow to USB 2.0 or will LR view them as separate tasks? If this would slow the process, would a USB 3.0 hub solve the problem? I do not want to add more devices to my bags of camera equipment so less is best. If you recommend using a hub, please give suggestions.
Thanks,
Richard

Simon Garrett

Re: USB 3.0 import question
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:13:16 am »

I use a Lenovo Ultra book for my photography. It has one USB 3.0 port and additional 2.0 ports which I use with a USAB 3.0 card reader. I backup my pictures at home and keep the backup drive safe. I went through all my fast cards and more at a weekend event last month. I also had Windows update problems. I bought an external HD so that I could do import backups through LR on the road.  If I import, using the 3.0 port, to the Ultra Book with a copy to the external drive on a USB 2.0 port will the whole process slow to USB 2.0 or will LR view them as separate tasks? If this would slow the process, would a USB 3.0 hub solve the problem? I do not want to add more devices to my bags of camera equipment so less is best. If you recommend using a hub, please give suggestions.
Thanks,
Richard

The process appears to be read-one, write-one - so yes, it would slow down to the speed of the slowest. 

I was asking myself the same question recently.  In my case both ports were USB 3, but while the card reader was USB 3, the backup drive was USB 2.  However, I didn't do any comparisons importing with and without the backup, so I can't confirm my view!

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 08:36:59 am »

In general, any operations with USB 2.0 will be slower, right? I used to use the "make duplicate copy" when importing images but found it slowed the process down to much. My workflow now, while on the road:

1. I create a Catalog for the trip (like I just did Europe2013).
2. Import images as I take them (like each night). I keyword, possibly rank, delete some clunkers, etc.
3. At night/while out to dinner/etc, use SyncToy (http://download.cnet.com/SyncToy/3000-2248_4-10629009.html) to replicate the images and catalog to my backup SSD. I keep this backup SSD in my wife's luggage (i.e. spreading out my images among our luggage). Note that with this method, changes I might be making to my "travel catalog" during the trip are continually applied to my backup.
4. When I get home, I import from the SSD into my MAIN Catalog on my desktop.
5. Once all is set and I'm sure I have all my images on my "main" desktop, backed up to my various places, I delete the "travel catalog/images" from my travel laptop.

This has been refined over many trips and is the fewest number of steps, whilst continually having 3 sets of all my images during my travels (because I don't overwrite my SD cards and I keep those on my person).

Hope it helps! Bob.
Bob
 ht

Simon Garrett

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 04:07:29 pm »

The problem with bobtowery's approach for my work style is that I don't like to wipe memory cards until I've imported and got a backup.  I like to get that backup done immediately so I can then wipe the memory card in the knowledge that I've got two copies of the images.  For that, I might as well create that second copy while I'm importing to LR, even if it slows it down a bit.  If I don't do it then, I'm going to do it straight afterwards anyway.  I wouldn't want to leave till that night or whatever. 

Perhaps that's over-cautious, but the only people that haven't lost data as a result of hardware failure, software failure or user failure are either very young or very lucky.  And have you noticed that those data-losing failures always occur at the worst possible moment?
Pages: [1]   Go Up