Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 Signature Worthy  (Read 2226 times)

Garnick

Epson 3880 Signature Worthy
« on: September 30, 2013, 11:16:32 am »

Hello all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 3880 for smaller jobs and to handle card stock, which of course the 9900 will not accommodate.  It would seem that the only difference between the standard 3880 and the Signature Worthy Edition is the driver.  There doesn't seem to any other spec that differs between those two versions of the printer.  Therefore, for a driver that includes the "Signature Worthy" papers, this is a $179CDN add on.  I can print on the Epson Cold Press Natural quite nicely with my 7600 and its driver does not include that paper.  There's usually a way around every situation and I imagine the 3880 "Standard Edition" is no exception.  Please advice otherwise if I have missed some crucial piece of information that separates those two printer versions.   

Thank you,
Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

na goodman

Re: Epson 3880 Signature Worthy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »

The only difference I have found is that they include "Signature Worthy" papers as part of the printer sale. There is an assortment for you to try.
You can always download the profiles separately for those papers from the profile list on Epson's site if the standard 3880 does not include them.

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:36:24 pm »

I have all the 'Signature Ready' papers listed in my 3880 driver. Why not download and install the driver and see what it comes up with. You may need to uninstall and reinstall it if you buy the printer.

Brian A

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:52:05 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  However, this doesn't totally answer my question.  First, does the 3800 driver show the signature worthy papers for selecting "Media Type".  I realize I can download the profiles from the site, but not sure if the drivers for the two versions are basically the same.  I already use two of the papers on the 9900, so I know what they can do and don't need sample packs etc.  So if the driver for the 3800 shows these papers in the "Media Type" dialog I'll simply download the profiles and save myself $179.

Thanks again,
Gary
Gary N.

StuNY

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »

Most profiles you add or that come with the printer don't have a direct listing in the "Media Type" menu. For instance Epson Hot Press Bright White profile on my 3880 is used with "ultra smooth fine art paper" as a media type as recommended by Epson. No need to see papers listed under media type, the supplier of the profile will indicate which media type to select with their profile. Hope that helps. The 3880 is a great printer and works very well with these papers and the "signature worthy" version of the printer does not seem to be necessary. 

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 01:12:29 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  However, this doesn't totally answer my question.  First, does the 3800 driver show the signature worthy papers for selecting "Media Type".  I realize I can download the profiles from the site, but not sure if the drivers for the two versions are basically the same.  I already use two of the papers on the 9900, so I know what they can do and don't need sample packs etc.  So if the driver for the 3800 shows these papers in the "Media Type" dialog I'll simply download the profiles and save myself $179.

Thanks again,
Gary

EDIT

My Win 7 3880 install shows the profiles for the various signature worthy papers, but, they are not specifically referenced in the paper type options in the driver if I recall correctly.  Can't be more specific as I am not near the printer now.  Hopefully someone sitting by their printer can give you more specific information. 

My recollection may be faulty based on Brian's screen grab below of the media types that show up in the driver dialog
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:03:56 pm by AFairley »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 01:32:52 pm »

There are not multiple drivers for the Epson 3880 printer, and the printer in the Signature edition is identical to the standard edition.  For the extra money you get 125 8.5x11 sheets of 5 different signature worthy epson paper.

hugowolf

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 01:35:31 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  However, this doesn't totally answer my question.  First, does the 3800 driver show the signature worthy papers for selecting "Media Type".  I realize I can download the profiles from the site, but not sure if the drivers for the two versions are basically the same.  I already use two of the papers on the 9900, so I know what they can do and don't need sample packs etc.  So if the driver for the 3800 shows these papers in the "Media Type" dialog I'll simply download the profiles and save myself $179.

It can depend on your location. I have heard that they don't appear as media types in some regions. I have the standard edition, in the US, running under Win Vista and Win 7, the papers do appears as media types:

Even if they don't show up under your operating system or regional driver, you can download the profiles and create a custom media type for them.

Brian A
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:38:25 pm by hugowolf »

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 01:35:52 pm »

My Win 7 3880 install shows the profiles for the various signature worthy papers, but, they are not specifically referenced in the paper type options in the driver if I recall correctly.  Can't be more specific as I am not near the printer now.  Hopefully someone sitting by their printer can give you more specific information. 

Yes, absolutely, something I had forgotten.  That shouldn't have happened, since I just checked a couple of driver presets recently and of course not all of the papers are listed in the Media Type selection dialog.  I believe the information on the site pertaining to the signature edition is simply in regard to the papers that are included with the purchase of that edition, as mentioned in a previous thread.  None of which I need and therefore would be unnecessary in my case.

Thanks again,
Gary
Gary N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up