Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: High school photography teacher needs a printer.  (Read 10401 times)

Floyd Davidson

• Images From Barrow Alaska
Re: High school photography teacher needs a printer.
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2013, 03:04:04 pm »

I have advised award-winning newspaper and yearbook for 26 years

I'd expect that experience to be of much greater significance than either photography or printing experience.  Knowing how your particular students work and react is important.  Teachers are necessarily resourceful people, who as a rule are very able at being resourceful in terms of budgets and supplies and are good at making things work.

The fact that you stated to begin with that you are a long time school teacher is specifically  something I've been taking into account.  Printing is "easy" only to the degree that you either have no concerns about quality and will accept anything, or you are willing to pay attention to many fine details in the entire process (including putting thought into physical operation of a printer).

The beginners are mostly seniors with terrible grades. They have been quite enthusiastic, and fairly quick to pick up camera basics -- they are getting correct exposures with manual settings.

That observation is interesting.  One of the most significant characteristics of digital photography today, as opposed to the way film photography worked 15 or more years ago, is the very fast feedback loop. A fast feedback loop allows many people to learn much easier now than it was with film.

And while much of photography today can be computer based with no need to ever make a print, the value one gets from printing has a similar dichotomy.  Getting prints made at a "local print shop" has a significantly longer feedback loop than is accomplished when operating your own printer.  I would expect that short feedback loop may  be a necessary part of your effort to include prints in the curriculum, even when they are done only as a bit of extra inspiration.

In addition to a base fee and providing a packet of 8x10 prints (particularly if you make the choice of images to print rather than letting the students experiment with it on their own), perhaps it might also be useful to work out a way to allow them to pay for the supplies used and let them print whatever they like.

I have thought about using Costco. At $1.49, plus tax, I thought it might be a more expensive option. Since there is one near me, it might be more convenient.

The feedback loop using Costco is too long, but whacking out 3 or 4 variations on a single image right there in class, even at $1 each, might be a terrific way to keep students inspired.

And while 16x20 prints can be done easily with a 17" carriage printer, 20x24 and 20x30 prints cannot.  Likewise a 16x20 canvas wrap, which is very easy and inexpensive to produce and terrific for exhibition, requires a larger print than a 17" carriage can produce.

You might find a package of 5 8x10's plus one large print would be more inspiring for students than 10 8x10's.  It won't be initially... but by the time they are nearing the end of the course and have seen even a couple of large prints made it will be!

The idea of buying software to run a test print on a regular basis is a great one, no matter what printer I get.

That is an interesting suggestion, and in some cases it is very useful.  Note however that as you do more research you'll find that "ink waste" is even a bigger cause of complaints than "clogged heads".  The cost of ink per millilitter is enough to get people excited.  The relevance is questionable, and the total cost of ink per production print is the figure to pay attention to.  In the long run, ink is not such a huge expense.

Still, one theory is that the printer should never be turned off and should never have a head clean routine run unless the head is known to be clogged (most printers run a cleaning routine when powered up, some will do that automatically at other times too).  All because of the "wasted" ink.  And of course a "maintenance print" will also waste ink... :-)

My view is that because cleaning heads is so easy, I don't let it happen automatically.  But that has nothing to do with the cost of ink either, because the amount used for cleaning is a drop in the bucket compared to the number of "test prints" I toss in the trash on a regular basis.

My room, btw, is air conditioned, which mean that humidity will be low. I can keep a printer in a room without air.

That's another one where there are many theories, and but no consistancy.  Where I live we experience some very wide ranges in relative humidity over a year's time.  I've never been able to correlate humidity to head clogging.  I did, years ago, find that printers that do not have vacuum assisted paper transport systems can be very touchy about sheet feeding.  Some papers worked well with higher humidity and some worked well with lower humidity.  It was extremely annoying.

I would certainly use the printer for more than my photo classes. My publication photographers win national awards, and it would be great to be able to display their work too.

You need a 24" wide printer.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:11:43 pm by Floyd Davidson »

mziegler

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2013, 04:12:19 pm »

I'm dealing with a number of learning curves right now. I need to learn about printing before I teach it.

I learned a little about Piezo years ago, around 2006. It was cool then, and I can only imagine what the results are with 7 inks.

If I go with an Epson inkjet, I have a feeling the 3880 will be the one, although I am going to check out the offerings from Canon (yes, I do read posts).

Bullfrog

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 05:04:19 pm »

You can print quite a bit without learning the whole thing and for many people that is OK.  But you are in a teaching role and people expect (I presume) you KNOW what you are talking about.

What really can make or break you is matching the print to what the student (and you) saw on the monitor.  THAT is what will have students asking questions.

The proverbial "why is my print too dark" question will haunt you till end of days.

If you are brand new, and yet need to demonstrate knowledge as a teacher - you need to buy the thing, use it, and practice a bit before you teach it.  Get some media and try it - what prints on paper (RC lustre) well isn't going to necessarily look good on canvas (assuming you even go that route).

If you do, then there's the whole coating the canvas lesson - which is really an entire course in itself.  

I would set some boundaries on what you will teach and what media you will use - and if its your first printer, stick to the RC coated papers.  YOu can always outsource to get a profile made for you (not that expensive - maybe $25) -and this profile would work on one media type.  At least that way, you have a foundation.

Whether its Epson, Canon or HP, no printer miraculously prints things consistently and while you may luck out and print a few that look great, there will always be the ONE that didn't go according to plan.

I guess it depends on you and how important it is to be perceived as an expert.

I took a computer programming course in college and after day 2 it was pretty obvious the instructor was learning the language as we went.  I admit I was not impressed but he was good (I guess) at faking it -and in the end, the class did OK.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:09:55 pm by Bullfrog »

mziegler

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 05:15:19 pm »

I want to print in order to display the students' work, so yes, I am sure as hell going to know what I'm doing, just like the time I first bought the Nikon D1 and a slew of good lenses. I learned how to shoot at night football games, then taught my best two students how to use the camera, then they taught other students.

At first, in other words, I will be the only one printing.

mziegler

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 05:41:10 pm »

Why hasn't anybody suggested the new Epson CISS printers? They're small format, cost peanuts and the running economy will trump even pro printers since you buy ink by the bottle--you can even substitute with 3rd party inks and push running costs down to near zero with little trouble. They're even dye based for the least clogging trouble. Even the top model L800 costs just $500 or so.

Of course, any printer can be converted to CISS by aftermarket modders. I was offered to have my $200 Canon iX6560 (that prints 13" wide) converted to CISS for a mere $30. Maybe I should have taken them up for that offer...  ;D but such warranty-voiding measures may be hard to swallow for the school administration... hence the suggestion for the Epson L-series...

I actually have no idea what this is about. What is the quality of the photos?

Bullfrog

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2013, 06:18:21 pm »

I want to print in order to display the students' work, so yes, I am sure as hell going to know what I'm doing, just like the time I first bought the Nikon D1 and a slew of good lenses. I learned how to shoot at night football games, then taught my best two students how to use the camera, then they taught other students.

At first, in other words, I will be the only one printing.

OK.  Good luck.

hugowolf

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 07:25:08 pm »

I actually have no idea what this is about.

Well, that could be because they are not available in the US or Europe.

Brian A

mziegler

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 08:57:44 pm »

Of the Epsons, the 4900 looks ideal in terms of specifications, but I am just not comfortable with the nozzle problems associated with it. I would not mind getting a 24'' printer, since I could print 8x12's, right? Of course I don't know if I will have the money for those.

Based on comments here, I am looking at some of the large format iPF Canons, which look promising. Any thoughts about those would be appreciated.

Joseph Yeung

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »

Well, that could be because they are not available in the US or Europe.

Brian A

Here's a US ebay listing for the Epson L800:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-L800-Original-continuous-Ink-Tank-System-CIS-CD-DVD-Paper-Inkjet-Printer-/260911070734

And this EU page is the first google hit for the Epson L800 so I assume it is available somewhere in the EU too:
http://www.epson.eu/ix/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/overview/11398

hugowolf

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2013, 11:02:53 pm »

Here's a US ebay listing for the Epson L800:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-L800-Original-continuous-Ink-Tank-System-CIS-CD-DVD-Paper-Inkjet-Printer-/260911070734

The Ebay sale is a gray import. The seller claims to be ‘US’ based, but can’t form an English sentence: ‘By purchasing this item, buyer must agrees to our Return Policy’.

When Epson announced the L800, it was said to be only for Asian and Middle Eastern markets. There is no mention of it on the US, UK, French, Dutch, or German Epson websites: ‘Ihre Suche war leider erfolglos, bitte versuchen Sie es erneut.’

And this EU page is the first google hit for the Epson L800 so I assume it is available somewhere in the EU too:
http://www.epson.eu/ix/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/overview/11398

If you follow that link, then click on the 'Find a Dealer' button, and then try any capital city in Europe.

Brian A

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2013, 10:29:20 am »

Wonderful, but irrelevant.  The Epson 3880 would not be a better choice than the Espon 4900.
I disagree. I have both. The 3880 never clogs. The 4900 all the time. Both live in the same environment. The 4900 clogs so often I hate it. The OP teacher can actually come to Santa Fe and I'll give it to him. And FWIW, I've owned probably dozens of Epson's dating back to the 1200. The 3880 is the best printer they have built by far. The 4900, far from it.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mziegler

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2013, 10:45:44 am »

Santa Fe is a great town! Maybe I should take you up on it.  ;D

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2013, 10:47:05 am »

Santa Fe is a great town! Maybe I should take you up on it.  ;D
Come and get it (but bring a large vehicle).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up