Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider 50mm Super Angulon TS for Interiors - Samples  (Read 7307 times)

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
Schneider 50mm Super Angulon TS for Interiors - Samples
« on: September 25, 2013, 11:44:26 pm »

Despite the dearth of hard information available about this lens, I bought one earlier this summer and I've been trying it out for my Arch/Interiors work. At US $3300, it's a significant investment.

I work primarily with the Canon 24TS on a 5DmIII. I also own and occasionally use the 17TS, and I have the Canon 1.4x Extender (v.II) which gives me an effective 33.6mmTS lens when coupled with the 24mm. But -- I've been really missing a 50mm lens with movements. The solution up to now has been the 24 + 1.4 = 33.6, and then cropping....which is not exactly optimal!

Here are a few sample images. The interiors were shot "on the job", the tall buildings were just to take the lens out for a spin and look for distortion. Since the Schneider doesn't record to the EXIF, I can't say with certainty what the apertures were, but I'm normally working between f/10 and f/13. Both of these shots involved shift, likely in the 8mm to 10mm range.

I did a few informal side-by-side comparisons, shooting the same subject with the Schneider, with the "24TS + 1.4X & Crop", and with my trusty "Nifty-Fifty" (Canon 50mm 1.8 plastic lens) and found that the Schneider is nowhere NEAR as good as the 24TS alone (no surprise) but is about the equivalent of the "24TS +1.4x & Crop" method...with the clear advantage of retaining the full pixel count, of course.

The Schneider has some noticeable CA, which is entirely correctable with Lightroom's "auto" CA setting.

The Shift movements are a little awkward to operate. After years of using the Canon TS, I'm still finding it hard to get the Schneider where I want it on the first try. But I'm never really working in a big hurry, so for me that's not a deal-breaker. The Tilt movement, on the other hand, is kind of awesome. It's the same system as the shift (a rotating ring, and a spring-loaded ring; one moves the lens, the other rotates it) but the positioning of the Tilt makes it very easy. Shift....not so much. Overall, it seems to be built VERY robustly. You get a nice confidence just handling it.

Overall, I'm happy. It's the best TS lens in that focal length I've tried. I wish it were sharper, but honestly I think I'm kind of spoiled by the Canon 24!

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Re: Schneider 50mm Super Angulon TS for Interiors - Samples
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 03:10:52 am »

Did you have a chance to test it against the Canon 45 Tilt Shift?
I had one of those and it was fine,apart from the CA.
W
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

sam@

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 10:13:23 pm »

Hi Scott

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Schneider..

I use a Canon 45mm TS (when forced) and all the Canon TSE lenses 17/24/45/90. I am looking forward to a new rumoured 45 and 90.

The 45mm is the weakest by far as you stated in the "Recent Prof Works 2" thread - CA, distortion and softer than the others.

Did you consider the Hartblei IF TS 40 Superrotator at all?

Best regards

Sam

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:28:53 pm »

Did you consider the Hartblei IF TS 40 Superrotator at all?

Best regards
Sam

Huh...I was not actually aware of that lens. This is available in a Canon mount?

@ Rethmeier -- I think the 45 is pretty crappy, actually. The rumor is that Canon is coming out with a V.2 of that, and if they do and it holds up against the 17 and 24, then I'll be all over it like white on rice. But in it's current iteration, it's just not up to snuff.

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:34:34 pm »

OK, I just Googled up the Hartblei.......am I reading that right? $7200 US? Yikes......

stacibeth

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »

I'm interested to hear what you think between the two lenses. I primarily use the schneider 28 pc for my interiors, (no tilt) I had the old canon24ts and thought it was crap. It never seemed sharp and had tons of distortion. I bought the schneider before canon came out with the 24ts v2. Which canon 24 ts do you have?

Also,
Curious, what was your exposure for the interiors (as to ss, and iso) Are you using lights?

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:37:13 pm »

Stacibeth,

The newer iteration of the Canon 24TS is easily among the five best lenses Canon makes. It's entirely different from the V.1.  This is what many are hoping will happen with the 45TS someday soon.

The shots above are likely in the f/11 range (where I usually hang out) and ISO 160. Shutter speed looks like maybe 1/60th - 1/100th for the chair, and probably more like two or three seconds for the kitchen shot.

And yes...I light things extensively!

stacibeth

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:16 pm »

Scott,
So have you found that the new canon 24ts is sharper than the schneider? I'm thinking bout getting the canon 24ts v2, but I've found that the 24 is sometimes almost too wide which is why I also like the schneider 28, thoughts?

As to lighting, in the chair image, looks super natural, nice job! What kind of lighting are you using, strobes? Are you bouncing? I've been staring at the image and can't seem to figure it out, no reflections of lights or shadows (again, nice job!)

I switch between, all natural and then strobes, not so much with continuous lighting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up