Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't FTP my catalog to PhaseOne support  (Read 7479 times)

dandaman56

Can't FTP my catalog to PhaseOne support
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:43:53 pm »

PhaseOne support wants my catalog to provide help.  I've tried three FTP clients (Cyberduck, Filezilla, and Classic FTP) and all connect successfully to their server.  I navigate to the Upload folder and drag my catalog (44 GB) to it to initiate upload.  All clients start prepping files and I see file names whiz by for maybe 30 seconds.  Then all clients show transfer failed.  I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and have a 4MBps upload speed on my connection.  I've attached the most helpful transfer log (partial).  Someone suggested a network glitch - I know their download server is often terribly slow.  (3 hrs to download 7.1.4)  Anyone in the US successfully FTP to support on a Mac?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Can't FTP my catalog to PhaseOne support
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 03:53:31 pm »

44.5 gig is a lot to be transferred via FTP in a single file.. I can't remember doing such a big file.  My first inclination would be to break it down into parts with a zip utility and send the parts separately.  There are two benefits to this, the FTP clients/servers will more easily recognize a zip extension, and smaller files transfer more easily.

Good luck.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:02:53 pm »

I FTP files to P1US and P1DK nearly weekly. Never had a problem.

However, I've never sent anything near 44gb. Largest I ever sent in a single file was probably ballpark 700mb.

dandaman56

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 08:07:28 pm »

I agree, 44 gb is a lot.  However, it seems not to transfer as one .pkg file as I thought it would.  I see the clients going thru all the individual image files as it preps to send.  And here's the thing - they don't start showing up on the remote side and then hit some kind of size limit.  The very first bits to go don't make it at all.  Zero bits/bytes transferred.  I'm looking into the zip suggestion, but if it works it appears it will be due to liking a zip file format better than the original pkg format, because the zip file barely achieved any compression savings at all.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:54:24 am »

I agree, 44 gb is a lot.  However, it seems not to transfer as one .pkg file as I thought it would.  I see the clients going thru all the individual image files as it preps to send.  And here's the thing - they don't start showing up on the remote side and then hit some kind of size limit.  The very first bits to go don't make it at all.  Zero bits/bytes transferred.  I'm looking into the zip suggestion, but if it works it appears it will be due to liking a zip file format better than the original pkg format, because the zip file barely achieved any compression savings at all.

Personally I would try to compress the file to .zip as this will be truly one file then.  The catalog is a packaged file, so probably not the best way to send it.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

dandaman56

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:00:30 am »

I zipped the file and split it into 500mb segments.  Connected to the Uploads remote folder and watched/am watching as each goes out.  It takes about 18 minutes per segment and at the end of each I get a "failed transfer" because (apparently) per the error log I have no permission to store.

dandaman56

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 04:22:46 pm »

I FTP files to P1US and P1DK nearly weekly. Never had a problem.

However, I've never sent anything near 44gb. Largest I ever sent in a single file was probably ballpark 700mb.

When you do use FTP to upload, what folder to you target?  I assumed it would be Support/Uploads, but if it were something else like just Support, perhaps there could be differences in permissions?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 09:19:41 am »

When you do use FTP to upload, what folder to you target?  I assumed it would be Support/Uploads, but if it were something else like just Support, perhaps there could be differences in permissions?

I think this is maybe a question for support, as they are the recipient??
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager
Pages: [1]   Go Up