Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3885 and 3rd party cartridges  (Read 4086 times)

mdg

• MdG Landscape
Epson 3885 and 3rd party cartridges
« on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:20 am »

I have recently purchased Piezo Flush and Piezo inks for my Epson 3885 (which I purchased a few months back).  I have already tested printing using OEM inks and the printer works great both for colored and black and white.  I wish to switch to Piezo and so I acquired the cartridges and inks for this.  I first wanted to flush the current inks and so I already loaded the Piezo Flush into the empty cartridges, primed it, transferred the OEM chips and installed it on the printer.  I have followed the instructions by the letter from InkJetMall site.  However, it seems that my printer does not recognize the cartridges.  It displays "Please insert the correct cartridge" and all bars are blinking and crossed out on the LCD.  I also followed the procedure of resetting the printer but to no available.

Next think I did was to return the OEM inks (of course the chips as well) and tested to print again to make sure it works fine.  My next step was to try installing the third party cartridges one by one together with the original OEM inks.  Whenever I install a third party ink the printer displays "Please insert the correct cartridge" and the slot of the third party ink is blinking and crossed out on the LCD.  I have checked the pins of the third party cartridges and it seems ok.

I tried researching on this and it seems I cannot find somebody else out there who has the same problem as mine.  Then it occurred to me, probably it is on the firmware.  I researched and I found this thread:  http://www.wasteink.co.uk/epson-firmware-update-compatible-problem/

My printer's firmware version number is P0101C5.  I tried installing P01797 (US) or P0070C (Europe) but the Epson LFP Remote Panel software does not allow downgrading.

Does anyone here have an idea on this problem?  Does my firmware version reject third-party inks?

I'm getting desperate.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:46:23 am by mdg »

aaronchan

Re: Epson 3885 and 3rd party cartridges
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:15:46 am »

Hi,

I think you should contact Jon (owner of piezo) for your question, he might have a solution for you.
I've never used piezo on 3880/3885 but did it on my 7880/9800, also 2400 a while back ago.
I think the chip has problem.
When I purchase my ink set, I never purchase the cart from him if you are not in USA.
The reason why is there might be some firmware differential between region by region.
I'm from Hong Kong and I purchase my cart locally. Had a problem once but I just go right into the store and they fixed that for me, which is give me a new set of it.

Just don't feel disappointed from them, their B&W ink is awesome.

Aaron

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:39:36 am »

Hi,

I think you should contact Jon (owner of piezo) for your question, he might have a solution for you.
I've never used piezo on 3880/3885 but did it on my 7880/9800, also 2400 a while back ago.
I think the chip has problem.
When I purchase my ink set, I never purchase the cart from him if you are not in USA.
The reason why is there might be some firmware differential between region by region.
I'm from Hong Kong and I purchase my cart locally. Had a problem once but I just go right into the store and they fixed that for me, which is give me a new set of it.

Just don't feel disappointed from them, their B&W ink is awesome.

Hi Aaron,

Do you have a website of the store where I can purchase empty cartridges and chips for 3885 in Hong Kong where I can order online?  Dana of InkJetMall already responded and she confirms that the cartridges are different from 3880 and 3885.  Lack of research of my part I guess (ooops).

Thank you.

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 12:56:58 pm »

Excuse me for hijacking the thread, but I have never heard of the 3885 -- is it the 3880 sold in a different market or what?  Thanks.

aaronchan

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 01:28:00 pm »

Excuse me for hijacking the thread, but I have never heard of the 3885 -- is it the 3880 sold in a different market or what?  Thanks.

They are the pretty much exactly the same thing.
They just name differently in different region.
Such as Canon 9400, they name it 9410 in China, or Epson 9900, 9910 in China.

aaronchan

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 01:32:22 pm »

Hi Aaron,

Do you have a website of the store where I can purchase empty cartridges and chips for 3885 in Hong Kong where I can order online?  Dana of InkJetMall already responded and she confirms that the cartridges are different from 3880 and 3885.  Lack of research of my part I guess (ooops).

Thank you.

It's hard unless you know how to read Chinese.
www.taobao.com is like ebay in US, they have EVERYTHING.
just search for 3885 cartridge.
since people who sell this kind of stuff don't speak english, so you really need to find someone who can type chinese for you and talk to them with the shipping. it is more complicated for you, sorry about that.

hope that still could help you.

aaron

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:18:26 am »

It's hard unless you know how to read Chinese.
www.taobao.com is like ebay in US, they have EVERYTHING.
just search for 3885 cartridge.
since people who sell this kind of stuff don't speak english, so you really need to find someone who can type chinese for you and talk to them with the shipping. it is more complicated for you, sorry about that.

hope that still could help you.

aaron

Hi Aaron,

My friend also pointed that website to me but yes, I cannot read/write mandarin.  I found one supplier in Donguan, Guangzhou, China and he will ship the stuff tomorrow.  He assured me that they test it on 3885 before they ship it and so I hope everything goes well.

Thank you for the information.

aaronchan

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:52:54 am »

He assured me that they test it on 3885 before they ship it and so I hope everything goes well.

I'm a Chinese, and let me tell you that I don't really trust what a Chinese say.
But don't worry, usually these kind of stuff, they are very low tech thing and usually won't be DOA
have fun with your printer :)

aaron

martin archer-shee

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 01:10:36 pm »

hi

I too am getting a set of refillable carts, for my 3880 from China. 12 to 16 business days... ha  ha
I placed the order August 23 and am still waiting. The tracking shows that the item left China Sept 12. So far nothing....  has not even hit North america yet. Supposedly free shipping so maybe on .... a slow boat from china...
I think I would rather have paid a reasonable amount to have it shipped faster.

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 11:10:54 am »

hi

I too am getting a set of refillable carts, for my 3880 from China. 12 to 16 business days... ha  ha
I placed the order August 23 and am still waiting. The tracking shows that the item left China Sept 12. So far nothing....  has not even hit North america yet. Supposedly free shipping so maybe on .... a slow boat from china...
I think I would rather have paid a reasonable amount to have it shipped faster.

Hi Martin,

May I know why you did not order it within US?  I got mine from InkJetMall but it is for 3880 and not for 3885 hahahaha

Now, I'm also waiting for the movement of my cartridges from China.  It was already in DHL tracking system but it has not moved yet the whole day.  The supplier explained to me that the goods will transfer from one sub-plant to another.  I'm not sure how that works but I have no choice but to wait :)

martin archer-shee

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 12:43:24 pm »

Hi mdg

I did not order from a US firm as the cost was so high and as I am in Canada that would also attract even more duty etc.

As it is I had a note from my supplier today refunding my payment as a good will gesture. The package is somewhere in the middle of the Pacific???

I am currently emailing with two China suppliers for a quick shipment via DHL or Fedex. Supply price looks like about$US50 plus shippng. Probably almost the same. but at $50 or so customs usually does not bother and it is a straight delivery.
Sure hope this works soon as I have put my epson carts up for sale ( on Lula) and really want to get printing on the 3880.
Tracking can be a hit and miss depending on.... well who knows. But it does give an indication of progress.

lets have a race and see who's comes through first..

Good luck
Martin

martin archer-shee

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 09:36:09 am »

I WIN....

I ordered some carts from a Chinese firm on Sunday and they arrived yesterday (Friday). The lady said they were shutting down for a week holiday but would get them out. She was to get the track # to me when she had it. Well that will be next week now/ she even sent pictures of the package being filled to re-assure me.

She gets my vote next time I look for similar.

Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up