Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Sands in B&W  (Read 1659 times)

arlon

• Pbase account
White Sands in B&W
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:50:55 pm »

I think White Sands NM was just made for B&W. Not normally a big B&W fan but I liked this one.
Shot with Nikon 16-35mm F4 on D800E, F6.3 ISO 100.  I like the 16-35mm but it is real prone to picking lens flares especially when I forget the lens shade in the car.  This had a huge semi circular flare on the far left edge of the frame (cropped to get rid of it). Sun was going down almost 90deg to my right..

Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

batmura

Re: White Sands in B&W
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:53:10 pm »

Fantastic image!

Larry Heath

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 02:13:45 pm »

Sweet shot! Oh, how I do like this shot.

Later Larry

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:49:01 pm »

16-35 is also on my radar. Other than lens flare w/o the hood, do you find it performs well?

I too love this shot.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 04:25:17 pm »

16-35 is also on my radar. Other than lens flare w/o the hood, do you find it performs well?

I too love this shot.

To me, it's a bit of a specialty lens. It has a few quirks but so does anything when you get down to 16mm. It's a very sharp lens for a zoom. I might be able to get a slight bit more shaprness from a prime but it wouldn't be worth the loss of flexibility to me. Distortion is like any lens, live with it or fix it. Learn to shoot so you have room to correct the distortion and all is good. I get some crazy merges when I use this lens for panoramas. I haven't completely figured that out yet. I use Elements 11 and Autopano Pro, they both have some difficulty with the distortion. Only time I use this lens is if I can't fit the subject into the frame with my 28-300mm..

Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »

Having lived in Oman for a few years, I just love the desert. This photo is superb, I like the deep shadows.

francois

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 06:54:18 am »

Superb rendition of White Sands with deep shadows and excellent texture. B&W is perfect for this place and for this type of weather.

Good job!
Francois

Larry Heath

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 12:48:21 pm »

With Arlon’s permission I’ve made a number of mods to his image, I don’t know maybe they are a bit over the top and not too subtle, but I do like to fiddle.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:42:04 pm »

Great photo - very dynamic - but the black area on the left is "too" black. Even a small glimmer of detail in the shadows would give a greater sense of depth. Yes, i know it already has incredible depth, but... it could be "better" - at least to my eyes.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up