Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 35mm f3.5  (Read 22169 times)

ondebanks

Re: Mamiya 35mm f3.5
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 11:31:22 am »

The question becomes, do I roll the dice and try to find a good copy of a Mamiya 35mm MF, which may mean sending several back, or just jump in with the Pentax lens?

It really isn't a question of finding a "a good copy of a Mamiya 35mm MF". What people often mistake for a "bad copy" is that these lenses - all of them - have strong field curvature which makes distant details soft towards the edges. They could all be very good copies, but the design itself has that flaw.

So if you are not tied to a Mamiya camera (and you are not if you're adapting to a Canon), you might be better off with the Pentax 35mm lens.

Adrian:

The 645/EOS adapter in essence turns the Pentax into an EOS mount lens, so it should mount on his Mirex EOS/Mamiya adapter.

Unfortunately that won't work as both adapters have the medium format lens on the front, EOS camera on the back.

Ray

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 11:39:36 am »

As always results differ as I don't feel a Pentax 35mm FA or F on a P65+ or any 60 MP back or higher will out perform a Schneider SK35mm espeically on center.  I have used the SK35 for almost 2 years now and it's a very very sharp lens both on the P45+ and P65+ class backs.  It suffers on shifts past 9mm on the P65+ backs with both detail smearing and saturation loss.  However you can't shift a Pentax 35mm F or FA at least on a medium format back, yes you can shift it all day on long a EOS or Nikon.  

My Pentax FA was boxed in Japan, but made in Vietnam, which surprised me as the outer ring said made in Japan, but when you looked inside the back of the lens near the last element it was stamped made in Vietnam.  Not sure what was up there. Still was a good lens.

By far the single biggest limitation is that the SK35 has to have the physical CF installed otherwise your image will suffer too much due to vignetting and light fall off.  The CF adds at least 2 stops of exposure which makes the 35mm SK a very slow lens only.   The 40mm Rodenstock which can be easily used without a physical CF is better here if you can live with a bit less focal length.

Center on frame on, only, it would be a interesting test.  My 35mm SK is the sharpest 35mm I have ever used in Medium format in the F8 to F16 range.  It's not very good below F8 and diffraction sets in a bit past F16.  This on 60MP and 80MP backs.  The Mamiya 35mm AF F3.5 and Phase One D versions can't come close especially in the corners.   A nodal pan with the Pentax vs the SK35 would an interesting test.  I always try to nodal pan when I can instead of shift due to all the color shifting issues that shifting brings into play (even with a LCC corrections).

Most people I know of using the Pentax FA or F are using it on a Pentax 645 and that sensor is going to be a bit more forgiving that the Dalsa 60MP chips or higher.  Still a great lens and one I don't think is being made anymore.  

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

mm111

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 01:21:57 pm »

dear paul2660
i was wondering if you have an examples of what you describe using the 35xl on a p65+ back?
i have been steering away from the lense since the specs say it cannot be used with sensors greater than 37x49mm
thanks & all the best

tsjanik

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 01:39:44 pm »

It really isn't a question of finding a "a good copy of a Mamiya 35mm MF". What people often mistake for a "bad copy" is that these lenses - all of them - have strong field curvature which makes distant details soft towards the edges. They could all be very good copies, but the design itself has that flaw.

So if you are not tied to a Mamiya camera (and you are not if you're adapting to a Canon), you might be better off with the Pentax 35mm lens.

Unfortunately that won't work as both adapters have the medium format lens on the front, EOS camera on the back.

Ray

Ray,

Perhaps the OP could clarify what equipment he is or will be using.  Based on the quote below, I had the impression he was adapting a Canon T/S and so a 645/EOS adapter would work as well.

This was one of the reasons for my question. If I purchased the Hartblei camera with the Canon 24mm TS, would the performance of the 35mm Pentax lens be worth the price of a second Myrex adapter? I have the Mamiya 50mm shift and it is an excellent copy, but 24mm to 50mm is too big a jump. The question becomes, do I roll the dice and try to find a good copy of a Mamiya 35mm MF, which may mean sending several back, or just jump in with the Pentax lens?

Aphoto

• Architectural photography, Berlin
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 02:21:36 pm »

Ray,

Perhaps the OP could clarify what equipment he is or will be using.  Based on the quote below, I had the impression he was adapting a Canon T/S and so a 645/EOS adapter would work as well.

I think he is talking about the Hcam, which has a Canon EOS mount.

Because of the focal flange distance, only the following combinations are possible:

Canon EOS mount to:
  • Canon FD: NO
  • Nikon: YES
  • Pentax645: YES
  • Contax 645: YES
  • Mamiya 645: YES
  • Hasselblad: YES

Nikon mount to:
  • Canon: NO
  • Pentax645: YES
  • Contax 645: YES
  • Mamiya 645: YES

Pentax 645 mount to:
  • Canon EOS: NO
  • Nikon: NO
  • Pentax 67: YES
  • Contax 645: NO
  • Mamiya 645: NO

Mamiya 645 mount to:
  • Canon EOS: NO
  • Nikon: NO
  • Pentax 645: YES, but only in theory. There is not enough space for the mechanical parts of the aperture control, as Mr Zoerkendoerfer told me
  • Contax 645: NO
  • Mamiya 645: NO
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:24:59 pm by Aphoto »
Best, Adrian // www.adrianschulz.com

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 04:46:33 pm »

Announcement:

HCam is now into looking to do a mount conversion for Pentax 645 lenses-especially the 35mm SMC/A to Mamiya 645/AF.
There will be a complete new Bajonet replacement to keep infinity. If the adaptation will work I will post more infos soon.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

Kabraxis

• www.kabraxis.de
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 05:18:24 pm »

HCam is now into looking to do a mount conversion for Pentax 645 lenses-especially the 35mm SMC/A to Mamiya 645/AF.
There will be a complete new Bajonet replacement to keep infinity. If the adaptation will work I will post more infos soon.

:-) That will save me from buying a Pentax 645 Mirex Adapter

Thanks from Zuerich

BillOConnor

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 10:26:54 am »

Stefan, you are such a troublemaker.

Thank goodness for people like you.

Bill

Rob Whitehead

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 10:24:56 am »

Walked into the team digital shop in perth this arvo and noticed that the print framed on the wall is a landscape shot with the mamiya 35mm and a P65+.

First time i've ever seen someone promoting this lens. Owner said the 'tog 'had a good copy'.

Still haven't really shot with my mamiya 35mm (supposedly a good copy too) on the P65+ - doing some landscapes down south at the moment but have had to travel with a light-ish kit so the 35mm is back home.
Carpe lucem
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up