Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Rebel XTi to Fuji x100s to ?  (Read 3576 times)

kdern

Canon Rebel XTi to Fuji x100s to ?
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:21:04 pm »

I loved my Canon Rebel XTi, then sold it and got a Fuji x100s. There are things that frustrate me about the Fuji, and I need some help figuring out what camera might be a better fit for me.

I loved using a Canon Rebel XTi DSLR for 5 years. As iPhone images got better and better, I used the Canon less and less. I loved using it but it was just too big to take on every trip, to every dinner party, to every family function, etc. It sat at home and I used my iPhone to take lots of mediocre photos.

A few months ago I sold the Canon and bought the brand new Fuji x100s. I expected to love it because of the size and image quality. I do love these things, but I also miss having a zoom and am often frustrated by the slow autofocus, especially in low light. I do get lots of amazing photos from it, but I feel like I have to take 10x as many photos as I used to have to take with the Canon to end up with a few good ones.

I know many people like the Fuji because it's a perfect camera for street photography. I don't take photos of people when I shoot on the street - it's usually buildings or interesting things, so I don't need a stealthy camera. I miss the speed and image stabilization of my DSLR.

Is there another mirrorless camera I should consider - one with interchangeable lenses? Or a small DSLR that might work for me? Or should I just get the latest Canon Rebel (T5i?) and accept that if I want DSLR quality, I need a DSLR?

One more guideline - I spent $1300 on my Fuji and I think I could sell it for about $1200 if I sell it soon... so my budget for a new camera and lens is $1300. I think I could be happy with a kit lens with IS if it's not too big, or a kit lens and a pancake lens.

Thanks for any advice!

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Canon Rebel XTi to Fuji x100s to ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 11:24:54 am »

It sounds like the size of the DSLR is really an issue -- having a new Canon won't help if it just sits at home.

For $1200 you could have a Fuji XE1 and the excellent 18-55 f/2.8-4 zoom lens. That will provide some versatility and very good image quality, in a smaller package than the Canon. (Though not that much smaller compared to a Rebel.) The lens is stabilized.

For about $1300 you could have a Panasonic G5 micro 4/3 camera with the excellent Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 lens. This lens is also stabilized. Image quality is good, though high ISO suffers compared to the Fuji or the Canon, I think. But the combo is smaller than the Fuji. Or you could get the G5 and the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lenses -- this is a great combination if you like prime lenses. The G5 is a nice m4/3 camera -- lots of good features -- and it's dirt cheap these days. Both of these lens choices are much better than a "kit zoom."

Good luck and good shooting.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

JV

Re: Canon Rebel XTi to Fuji x100s to ?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 06:22:32 pm »

Perhaps I am missing something here...

You say you usually shoot buildings or things but still you are complaining about the autofocus being too slow... ???
Pages: [1]   Go Up