Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VR/IS on a 500mm f4  (Read 2453 times)

dwnelson

VR/IS on a 500mm f4
« on: September 22, 2013, 07:57:03 pm »

I am thinking of getting a Nikon 500mm f4 AF-S II for $5000, the last version before VR. Should I spend about $2500 more and get a lightly used VR?

I have rented VR and non-VR lenses, and I use a solid tripod and gimbal head. I usually don't need the VR as I like high shutter speeds and freezing action (birds and wildlife). When the light is low and my subjects stationary I can also get sharp pictures down to about 1/60th with good long lens technique. I can't really see myself hand holding the 500/4 very much for birds in flight. I do have a monopod, but I rarely use it.

This is a big investment, so speak now or forever hold your peace. :)

PhotoEcosse

Re: VR/IS on a 500mm f4
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 11:33:13 am »

Faced with the same dilemma, I went one stage farther back and bought a Nikkor 600mm f/4 AI-S for a £-few hundred (less than 10% the cost of the latest model) on ebay.

I certainly don't miss the VR as I do, indeed, almost always use it on a gimbal head with fast shutter speeds. I also rarely miss the auto-focus as, for 80% of my photographic "career" no such thing existed and we all focussed manually all of the time anyway.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

ltphoto

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 07:24:09 pm »

I made the big jump to VR a couple of months ago. For shooting in adequate light, it does not make a difference. For me, at least, it makes a huge difference shooting in the early morning when I typically am using my 500. I use a Wimberley on a sturdy Gitzo tripod, but find at shutter speeds below about 1/250 I am getting better results with the VR. I sold my old lens for $5400, so the difference was large, but not quite the same as starting from scratch.

stever

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 12:09:27 am »

I've tried over time to use tripods and avoid them whenever possible.  Just downloaded Flight Plan from Art Morris' Birds as Art.  a bit over priced, but hand-held technique tips are worth it and the stunning in-flight shots show what is possible.  I've used stabilized and non-stabilized lenses and think a non-stabilized lens ties one hand behind your back.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 05:27:58 pm »

Well, I have been shooting with one hand tied behind my back  ;)  , and I haven't minded too much - but my ISO settings are higher than desired. I have a low weight, (relatively) low-cost autofocus Canon 400mm f/5.6L. I consider it an apprenticeship in learning long lens technique. No doubt I sacrifice some early morning shots on the altar of ISO 6400. I don't know how much better image quality I can get without spending serious money, with or without IS. I have toyed with adapting (Ed Mika) one of the old FD Canon Big Whites, but without the autofocus, there is much less utility as a bird-in-flight lens. The EF 500mm f/4.5 no-IS with autofocus is another possibility, but it is still selling in the over-$3,000.00 range, so not enough of an inducement given I don't have an autofocus-at-f/8 camera that would allow use of a 1.4x teleconverter while maintaining AF. At some point, youbetcha I am going to get IS in a 500mm or 600mm lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up