Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RPT backpack  (Read 1291 times)

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
RPT backpack
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:45:10 pm »

Thank you Mark for this article. Years ago I borrowed a technical pack for a weekend hike; the comfort level using that pack was a real eye opener. I'll definitely be replacing my current photo pack with one of these.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

NancyP

Re: RPT backpack
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:17:15 pm »

YES! A photo backpack with torso adjustment and gender-specific shoulder strap cuts!! My F-stop backpack is an excellent bag, but required significant after-market DIY tweaking to make it semi-fit me, a 125 pound woman, such that it feels ok for a full day hike with 35 pound load. That pack is one-size-fits-guys-with-long-torsos-and-no-boobs.  ???

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 06:25:19 pm »

Nice looking system :)

There is simply *no* substitute for getting any backpack professionally fitted.  For example I ended up getting fitted with a woman's Gregory Deva 70, with modifications to the inner frame.  I can comfortably carry 55lbs on weeklong hikes with no back pain or foot issues (you'd be suprised how an ill fitting pack will result in foot/footware issues).  In the US I can highly recommend REI, in Canada try MEC
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:23:43 pm by John.Murray »

leeonmaui

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:50:21 am »

Aloha,

I'm certainly more inclined to use a top end pack over a camera bag, biggest issue for me though is waterproofing my gear. the H2o bag here is pretty good, fits almost all of my Pentax 645 system in it, but the straps just suck for carrying around thirty pounds of camera gear especially after the comfort of a high end bag.

Everything you see in the picture (all 105 lbs) fits into the blue arcteryx Bora 90 in the picture, even the lowpro h20, then I'll set up a base camp and just carry the h20 in the bora if I am moving over longer day hikes over tougher trails, or no trails...

Another advantage of a regular backpack is you just look like some broke backpacker, and your camera bag with $20,000 plus worth of camera equipment is not a target :-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up