Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf 6400 sleeping wil it print auto nozzle?  (Read 3694 times)

dgillilan

Canon ipf 6400 sleeping wil it print auto nozzle?
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:31:00 pm »

Hi,
I have  put my ipf 6400 in the following modes: on all the time, no shut off, and sleep after a few hours of non use. It is doing these things.
My question is: will it still do auto nozzle checks and agitate, while in sleep mode, i.e, does it wake itself up to do these?
I have noticed in about 3 weeks of no shut off and sleep mode on, that no auto nozzle checks were done(in my absence, nothing was spit out,and I have some lightweight matte roll paper installed).

I am just wondering now if I need to turn off the sleep mode altogether, so it never sleeps, to get auto nozzle checks and agitation.
Thanks, Debra

Pete Berry

Re: Canon ipf 6400 sleeping wil it print auto nozzle?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 01:33:54 pm »

Unless things have changed the iPF LFP's only do printed nozzle checks on demand, while the periodic maintenance nozzle checks are done internally - probably checking the electrical integrity of the thermo-electric nozzles which eventually fail through burnout (shorting out?) rather than ink clogging. There's a huge redundancy of nozzles in the heads allowing re-mapping of failed ones.

Unless you get a printhead error message, which will eventually happen when spare nozzles are exhausted, no need for forced nozzle checks at all.

dgillilan

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 02:56:44 pm »

Thanks Pete, I was unaware of the ability to do the internal nozzle checking with no prints spit out, like I get with the manual nozzle checks. Thanks. I did know about the redundancy in the nozzles and ultimate need in the future for printhead replacements. But I plan to do all I can to maintain this ipf properly to get as much life as possible from it.
Thank you for your reply,
Debra

enduser

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:12:08 pm »

Our 6100 Canons wake up periodically and do temperature and humidity checks, agitation and nozzle checks.  With 6100s this is the default, where they go into "energy saving mode" by themselves, leaving just one light on.   I have read here that later nodels can be set to do the same, by digging in to the menu,

Scott Martin, and others, say that you really need to do a print two or three times a week to keep everything operable.

Pete Berry

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:15:31 pm »

Our 6100 Canons wake up periodically and do temperature and humidity checks, agitation and nozzle checks.  With 6100s this is the default, where they go into "energy saving mode" by themselves, leaving just one light on.   I have read here that later nodels can be set to do the same, by digging in to the menu,

Scott Martin, and others, say that you really need to do a print two or three times a week to keep everything operable.

"Amen" to that. These workhorses are made to run, not to rest; and those with the longest head lives in terms of print volume before failure seem to be the ones used the hardest in production studios. No babysitters allowed!

A good corollary is diesel auxillary engines on sailboats, particularly, and owners who "baby" them expecting to increase their life by rarely running at more than half-throttle. The problem here is that exhaust gas temperatures must reach a critical point - 1800 Deg.F comes to mind - to burn off exhaust valve carbon deposits that invariably accumulate at lower exhaust temps, and this requires about 85% throttle to reach. When a tough chance at sea comes requiring full power, it will often not be there in a babied engine with coked up valves, leading to overheating and other stresses. This can be avoided by running up the engine to near full power for a few minutes daily when under way. Heavy usage of printers with thermo-electric heads could behave in the same therapeutic manner with frequent or heavy usage keeping the nozzles in top shape...their orifices free of accumulating hard deposits.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:37:19 pm by Pete Berry »
Pages: [1]   Go Up