Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolling up a coated canvas  (Read 1070 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Rolling up a coated canvas
« on: September 22, 2013, 07:37:31 am »

I have a client that needs to take an 8' canvas with them on a plane so we were going to deliver the canvas in a roll and they are going to have it stretched when they get it back home.  Is it safe to coat the canvas (I use Timeless) and then roll it up in a shipping tube?  Will that damage the coating at all (I roll the Timeless on).  Any thing else I should be aware of?
Mike Guilbault

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Rolling up a coated canvas
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:10:25 am »

Mike,

Changes in the coating gloss/satin should be your main concern. Roll with it a silicon release paper (sign industry stuff) or if that is hard to get a polyethylene foil with silicone spray rubbed on. Both should no get stuck on the varnish which almost any other packaging material would. Do not use bubble foil either as it may give the pressure marks of the bubbles. If the humidity and temperature can get high during transport there still is a chance the top coating gets impression marks of the foil or silicone paper = changes in gloss.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 11:23:08 am »

Always roll a canvas face out or you run the risk of compressing the surface. Glassine paper SHOULD not stick.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:25:29 am by petermfiore »

Landscapes

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:46:36 pm »

I spray coat, but once its dry, no more than an hour, it should be fine.  I guess the ones that I roll I make sure to dry over night, but if I was stretching it, its dry enough to stretch.  When I put two canvases face to face, they do stick a little, but the worst problem comes from them rubbing against eachother if they are face to face in the same bag.  When this happens I have noticed scuff marks that do rub off, but its still panic when you see this as you're delivering the canvases.  I just make sure to put each in a seperate bag and then there isn't a problem.  But once its dry for more than a day, rolling up in a tube is no problem whatsoever without even anything to cover it like paper or plastic.

davidh202

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 06:57:15 pm »

excellent advice Peter! That is the proper way to roll art on canvas.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:05:58 am »

With Timeless you will be fine, as it will not re-activate under heat.  The coating is not bomb proof, but pretty close especially if you rolled it on. 

Glamour II can re-activate under heat, and will ruin a rolled print.  I have had it happen twice, both times on canvas prints shipped during the summer.  This was Glamour II that had been sprayed on 1 month prior to shipping and it still re-activated.  This same issue of re-activation is even worse if the prints are mounted to gator or a similar material and the coating re-activates under heat.

I always roll my canvas prints face in, not face out, coated with timeless, never have had any issues.  If I have more than one print in the roll, I will place a layer of non-stick release paper between them.

If I ship Timeless canvas prints mounted to gator, I will place a sheet of the non-stick release paper between the prints as there are times that when multiple substrate prints are shipped you can get some issues on the faces of the prints.  I use a coated kraft paper, it has a poly coating on one side and will not stick to the coating. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:27:32 am »

Thanks guys... I'll check into some sort of release paper
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up