Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FreeFly MōVi M10  (Read 16321 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
FreeFly MōVi M10
« on: September 21, 2013, 10:27:08 pm »

I've recently taken delivery of the MōVi stabilizer.  It's pretty badass.  Here is some footage from my first go with it...

https://vimeo.com/christopherbarrett/review/75121386/75a5f8b45a

The rig wasn't quite balanced so the footage isn't perfect, but it's pretty damn good.  This is going to open up all kinds of imagemaking for me, not just for narrative pieces but also for architectural walk-throughs.

CB

bcooter

Re: FreeFly MōVi M10
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:30:15 am »

Chris,

I was going to order this early on, but backed off . . . have a bunch of stabilizers that set collecting dust.

This one looks good, but how do you tilt without a second operator?

Thanks,

BC

Chris Barrett

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:45:06 am »

there is an interface to the rig via bluetooth where you can set and adjust many parameters.  You can set tilt as locked off at level or have it follow the op's input in the same way as the pan.  I haven't tried it yet, but am exploring all week before we start a new short on Friday.

More test footage, walking down the street to the carnival with the fam..

https://vimeo.com/christopherbarrett/review/75143047/069235201f

CB

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:33:35 am »

Hi Chris,

Might have known you'd be early in line for a Movi :)

Be very interested in knowing your thoughts once you've got used to it. What are you flying on it? A RED? I'm definitely in the market for one of these for my Scarlet, be interested to know how you find single-operator control of pan and tilt, as Coot says that was my main concern with how user-friendly these things are going to be for one man bands. If I have to have a separate op with pan, tilt and maybe focus, it might be out of my range...

Cheers, Hywel

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 12:21:25 pm »

This is how you test a (homemade..) 'movi' :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:56:20 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 02:03:37 pm »

More seriously - why do you want this? Why not use a Steadicam?

bcooter

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 03:34:31 pm »

Can't speak for anyone else, but if I shot interiors and my style was straight lines, the movi looks like the deal, because a stedicam is never ever ever 100% parallel with anything.

I great operator can get close, but not 100% parallel.

Also 15k is a lot but to hire an operator, a focus puller and a f2. zoom is about 2 grand a day, so uh, where's my calculator . .  well you get the idea.

IMO

BC

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 04:38:41 pm »

The op needs to walk in a straight line with either and not dip up and down which a steadicam arm reduces.

For interiors I use a $200 dolly

For my job in Portugal I bought pipe when I got there to run it on

:)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 05:54:48 pm »

More seriously - why do you want this? Why not use a Steadicam?
Because it can do things a steadicam cannot or because it gives a different feel to a steadicam.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Chris Barrett

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 06:28:58 pm »

The politically correct will say that Steadicam and MoVi both have their places.  If you want a really good steadicam you're gonna pay more for it and it'll take you at least two years to get good with it.  Then, there are tons of shots you can do with the MoVi you just can't do with steadicam, like a floor to eye level rise, or passing through a window with a hand-off to a second operator.

Truly, though, I expect to use it more for my narrative work and will still use a lot of dolly on the architecture.  Here is an assemblage of footage from a house I just shot.  We ran 80' of dolly track, which allowed us big moves that were perfectly architectural... what you can't do with dolly track is walk down a corridor, take a left, head into the kitchen and then drop down for a dramatic floor level shot.  Tools, tools, tools

http://vimeo.com/christopherbarrett/review/75239061/ac8d0e3b7f

Password:  bnl
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:30:36 pm by Chris Barrett »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 03:48:57 am »

Well IMO that vid was incredibly boring. If you got paid well that is great of course, but personally I find my 2.5m dolly track quite enough for most property vids -becuase Im generally cutting the shot every two or three seconds. Some shots with a 2.5m track; http://www.sammorganmoore.com/latest/bcu-new-building

As for your film making, and I mean this in the best possible manner, I feel you use the camera as a cold eye, this the steadicam excels at, whereas Coots and I want the camera to be at the party with all the gang, I think the Movi would be perfect for Casual Coots, but I cant really see it matching your work, even your test video the pan was late and did not offer the fomality for frame I have seen from you, not to mention the foot bounce/judder showing even at a high FPS

The Movi seems only to buy you those (valid twice a film) trick shots (fly-through-window and head to toe boom)  at the expense of the accurate precise framing offered by a Steadicam which seems to fit your work perfectly.

BTW - I am hugely interested in the Movi, not as a steadicam replacement but maybe on a jib or other places..

S
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:12:46 am by Morgan_Moore »

fredjeang2

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:12:11 am »

As C.B said, it takes at least a year or 2 to be
Professionaly just ok with a steadycam.

So...

Now, why not a small copter with a tiny cam
Like the gh ?  ;D
Before it crashes on a secretary you train
A year and you're good to go.

http://www.thebigrd.com/tag/octocopter/

Much more exciting device don't you think?
(and compare the prices...)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:31:55 am by fredjeang2 »

jjj

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 05:40:28 am »

Well IMO that vid was incredibly boring. If you got paid well that is great of course, but personally I find my 2.5m dolly track quite enough for most property vids -becuase Im generally cutting the shot every two or three seconds. Some shots with a 2.5m track; http://www.sammorganmoore.com/latest/bcu-new-building
I'd imagine your film would be incredibly boring without any sound too and I'd be amazed if Chris's film wasn't going to have sound added.
Though in the BNL shoot, the move to right and dissolve into walking woman edit is a bit odd as camera is static in second shot and then moves sideways as subject turns. It'd work better if edit came after camera move had started. But probably not as a left dolly into a right dolly cut, you'd probably need something inbetween the two opposing camera moves.

Sam - not entirely sure whether jiggy hand held camera shots intercut with the buttery smooth dolly shots works for me.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 05:59:58 am »

I'd imagine your film would be incredibly boring without any sound too and I'd be amazed if Chris's film wasn't going to have sound added.
Though in the BNL shoot, the move to right and dissolve into walking woman edit is a bit odd as camera is static in second shot and then moves sideways as subject turns. It'd work better if edit came after camera move had started. But probably not as a left dolly into a right dolly cut, you'd probably need something inbetween the two opposing camera moves.

Sam - not entirely sure whether jiggy hand held camera shots intercut with the buttery smooth dolly shots works for me.

Im sure Chris's still will have more edit - I was just trying to show the value of short track for creating shots that are long enough to edit.

As for the HH interviews - I entirely agree not right for the project - the interviews were going to be done inside on sticks but the speeches over-ran eating in to my/their time budget -  I realised that I would need to grab the subjects outside before the subjects melted away - ultimately collecting coherent audio held the project together - the dolly work did not need the 'talent' so I did that after they had gone. As a stills guy I'm still learning to make those on the spot choices - and leaving my sticks in the building was a duff choice - handheld interviews are sometimes 'vibrant/dynamic' but in this case totally wrong. I beleive shooting the voice handheld worked in this case - it depends on the nature of the Broll it is to be intercut with .. http://www.sammorganmoore.com/latest/marida-mountain-bike-teaser

S

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:06:23 am by Morgan_Moore »

jjj

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 06:41:26 am »

Sticks can slow you down when you need to grab a shot, but a monopod with feet can be great for this sort of thing as it dampens jitter and allows you to reposition shots quickly and even do little move-ins by rocking monopod forward on two of the feet.

For example.....

or these which I have. These hide inside bottom of Manfrotto monopod until you need them. Came across them when the Behind the Scenes videographer on a film I was working on was using this setup.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:43:26 am by jjj »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 07:05:39 am »

Yep - for sure, I have a monopod and a light miller solo too - I could have taken either of them outside - it was not a kit failure but a failure to read minds/the situation

S

jjj

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:51 am »

Fair enough. Won't happen again though I guess.  :)

Chris Barrett

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 07:35:32 am »

Perhaps I should have been more clear. When I called the architectural bits an assemblage of footage, what I meant is that tihs is not in any way a final edited video but merely a proof sheet for the client.

CB

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 08:43:06 am »

For sure. I just think that short dolly is the key to fast arch stuff, as in the main - (sure there are some special shots) a short run is enough for an edit.
I don't think you will get as straight or level with a Movi and track on INTs is easy to lay (unlike EXTs where it can be a PITA)

Still interested in your thoughts on the Movi and look forward to further tests from you.

Do you have the gear for a second op?

How is the interface for changing 'modes'?

S

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 02:14:55 pm »

An observation from 30 years "in the vest":

In the old days, everyone wanted the Steadicam to look like a dolly. It was employed only when dolly was impossible.

Over the years, Steadicam changed from "special" shots to "special" days to always available.

And so Steadicam look and feel has become part of the language of filmmaking. I hear very few comments now about camera level as long as the shot works well.

The big advantage of the steadicm over remote operated devices is responsiveness. In the narrative filmmaking that I do, there's nothing more effective for story telling than having an operator who can respond instantly to the actors performance. There is a delay in all remote control operating (technological or reflexive) that limits it's effectiveness.

So, if you're shooting architecture or moving the camera through a window, use whatever works. For adding "life" to performances, I still prefer Steadicam.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up