Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three Things  (Read 2719 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Three Things
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:53:11 pm »

Nothing photography related, but...

1) This looks like fun! Kinetic Sand

2) This one is interesting. Human Harp Project

3) This one is beautiful. Educate the Heart

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Three Things
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:38:18 pm »

Mike,

You really do manage to find the strangest things on the Web, and often they are quite interesting.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 01:27:17 am »

I'll take that as a compliment!  I just hang out with really strange people.  Like this:

A Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics

Mike.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:05:26 am »

Nothing photography related, but...

3) This one is beautiful. Educate the Heart

Mike.

We've gone through so many circular threads about art or not art. I think this little film illustrates what art really is all about.

Like film titles, it depends on imagination, one big thing that technology can't give you. And gurus can't deliver unto you, either.

Rob C

Harald L

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 06:44:36 am »

I'll take that as a compliment!  I just hang out with really strange people.  Like this:

Mike.

Kudos to all people who really understand this stuff. I've always admired the sheer beauty of mathematics and quantum physics but when I've finished my studies 35 years ago I departed piece by piece from science. Sometimes I envy some friends who made their vow of poverty at that time and adhered to science.

Harald

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:48:28 am »

Mike.
You take it correctly. I never miss your posts.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 10:30:57 am »

Kudos to all people who really understand this stuff. I've always admired the sheer beauty of mathematics and quantum physics but when I've finished my studies 35 years ago I departed piece by piece from science. Sometimes I envy some friends who made their vow of poverty at that time and adhered to science.

Harald

Harald

That's interesting; I hadn't realised there were two ways of making that vow and paying the price later; I thought you only had that option in the visual arts.

Does it make me feel better? I doubt that very much!

I'm sitting here listenting to The Beatles' White Album. What a load of pretentious old rubbish it turns out to be.

One of those days, I'm afraid; even lunch was lousy, but as I made it myself, not much I can do about it.

;-(

Rob C

Harald L

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 02:42:18 pm »

That's interesting; I hadn't realised there were two ways of making that vow and paying the price later; I thought you only had that option in the visual arts.

Does it make me feel better? I doubt that very much!

I'm sitting here listenting to The Beatles' White Album. What a load of pretentious old rubbish it turns out to be.

One of those days, I'm afraid; even lunch was lousy, but as I made it myself, not much I can do about it.

;-(

Rob C

C'mon Rob, you can't compare that. Your fate was much easier 'cause you got the chicks while the scientists got only Quarks and nerds.

;-)

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 02:54:07 pm »

C'mon Rob, you can't compare that. Your fate was much easier 'cause you got the chicks while the scientists got only Quarks and nerds.

;-)

Harald

Yeah, but I'm sure their pensions are better! The scientists, not the chicks: they got football players. Maybe it's better being poorer.

;-)

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 02:15:52 am »

Harald: If you haven't seen this book, you might like it: "The Power of Limits" by György Doczi.  I found this book in a little independent bookstore, flipped through it, and thought: "This is how I see the world."  Bought it immediately.

Mike.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 04:33:00 am »

Mike, I was never a religious person in the normal sense of 'religious' but as I age and experience more things, both good and devastating, the more I come to believe that there is a power, a director, something beyond human ken that controls and guides everything we experience.

It's been called God, all sorts of handles have been hung upon it and all manner of man-made rules and regulations grafted upon the concept. Yet, it survives, being part of the human need. Why? Because, I think, it is intrinsic to us; somewhere within us the consciousness of our origin remains though we can't see it well enough to have concrete images of the how - barely of the why. If we come to realise that, I think it makes the coming and passing of ourselves a far easier concept to accept. Almost comforting.

Science delves ever more deeply, as is its nature, and that leads some minds to conclude that we now know it all, that we can label life with the notion of cosmic accident. I don't think so at all. If anything, the more we discover about our world the more I think it shows a remarkable planning. I have seen accident; it has never seemed complex.

Rob C

Harald L

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 05:57:41 pm »

Harald: If you haven't seen this book, you might like it: "The Power of Limits" by György Doczi.  I found this book in a little independent bookstore, flipped through it, and thought: "This is how I see the world."  Bought it immediately.

Mike.

When I finished my studies of computer sciences in 1980 I've joined Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC) and served CERN, DESY, SLAC and other well known labs. In that time I've got to know a lot scientists who confessed that there must be a force which deliberately rules the rules. Those guys realized that every answer they delivered provides thousands of new questions and they couldn't believe that the patterns of nature are pure co-incidence.

I must admit that those guys changed the way I think about god and creation. I don't know wether they're wrong or not but I can't believe that just a simple twist of fate organized the chaos. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a question of which religion is the right one.

Harald

PS: This is much more true since I hold my grandchild Benny in my arms:-)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:59:57 pm by Harlem22 »
Glad to be an amateur
Pages: [1]   Go Up