Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: camera for kayaking in Antarctica  (Read 4216 times)

Lesley

camera for kayaking in Antarctica
« on: September 20, 2013, 02:14:39 am »

In January I will be going to Antarctica on a trip which will include some kayaking. I will be taking my D600 but will not be using it in the kayak and am looking for an easy to use camera for use while we are paddling. Does anyone have any ideas for a camera that doesn't have objectionable shutter lag and that isn't so small that it would slip out of gloved hands? All of the reviews of I have read of waterproof cameras suggest that the image quality is sadly lacking. The Olympus Tough TG-2 seems to be one of the better ones - has anyone used it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks,
Lesley

Petrus

Re: camera for kayaking in Antarctica
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 03:49:22 am »

You are lucky: Nikon has just come out with an underwater (to 15m depth) camera with exchangeable lenses, Nikon AW1.

Dperview has tried it a bit: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/09/19/nikonos-reborn-read-our-first-impressions-review-of-the-submersible-mirrorless-rugged-nikon-aw1?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_1

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:50:17 am »

rovanpera

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:15:02 am »

Check out Outex latex uw-housings, www.outex.com

Lesley

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:46 am »

Thank you so much! The housing looks interesting, but I want a smaller camera for the kayak. However, my brother lives on his boat, and it looks like a good option for him.
As for the Nikon, I think I've just found my Christmas present from my husband! It is a bit more expensive than I had planned for, but this is really a once-in-a-lifetime trip and is already costing us so much that it would be silly to get a lesser camera for the sake of saving a few hundred dollars. Besides, my husband has been after me to buy one of the Nikon 1s since they came out (although he doesn't photograph, he is always encouraging me to spend money on camera equipment), and I would have it to use on cycling trips in place of my Canon G10 with its scratched lens. I am lucky!

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 11:58:34 am »

You will remember to post some of the photos here, won't you?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 01:18:18 pm »

We're looking at that new Nikon for a paddling camera, too. Right now we use old Pentax waterproof p+s cameras, and the image quality is pretty crappy most of the time. I've been considering an upgrade to a new waterproof p+s, which run in the $300 range, but the Nikon 1 looks like a much better choice. If their history is any guide, the price may come down by the end of the year. (Though maybe not for such a specialty item.)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 10:03:53 pm »

In January I will be going to Antarctica on a trip which will include some kayaking. I will be taking my D600 but will not be using it in the kayak and am looking for an easy to use camera for use while we are paddling. Does anyone have any ideas for a camera that doesn't have objectionable shutter lag and that isn't so small that it would slip out of gloved hands? All of the reviews of I have read of waterproof cameras suggest that the image quality is sadly lacking. The Olympus Tough TG-2 seems to be one of the better ones - has anyone used it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks,
Lesley

Depends on how much quality you want. I had a TG-2 on a kayaking trip in Everglades and it was ok; for web and A4 prints at most. Bigger you start seeing the limitations. You can get many shots because there is no reason to spoil it. I had it with one of those big orange floating straps also because waterproof doesn't mean it's not going to sink if you drop it.
On the annoying part that ring around the lens (cosmetic only) it is loose and I lost it. It comes with both red and black but you couldn't buy them separately.

Lesley

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 12:35:47 am »

Thanks Armand, it looks as if it was a lovely trip, and the pictures are nice too. I noticed that one has slightly blown highlights, although near the sun that isn't surprising, and I believe that that is one of the problems many of the p & s cameras. But, I went into my local camera store today and put a deposit on the new waterproof Nikon mentioned above. I thought about waiting until nearer Christmas in hopes of a price drop (last year I got my D600 when they were throwing in the lens), but Nikon has also had shortages on some cameras in the past and, since this is a bit of a niche camera, I didn't want to risk not getting it. Besides, we can still kayak here (west coast of BC) when it should be on the shelves, so I can play with it in some comfort before we go.  I'll be sure to post some photos taken with it when we get back from Antarctica.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:15 pm »

The new Nikon should have much better quality, at a significantly large size though. The TG-2 can go in a pocket.

Lesley

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 11:07:53 pm »

I will be interested to see how it works with gloves; in this particular case I'm not so concerned about pocketability (is that a word?) but it certainly could be a major factor in other situations.  I'll report back once I try it.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 08:55:35 am »

And while we are at it I have a few shots taken a couple of days ago with the TG-2 from the kayak; it can show you the potential. The Nikon should do better with the highlights.

Lesley

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 01:13:05 am »

Very cool! I particularly like the first and the third. Thanks for showing them.
Lesley
Pages: [1]   Go Up