Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony a99 vs. RX1r  (Read 5052 times)

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
Sony a99 vs. RX1r
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:43:03 pm »

Has anyone used both systems?  I pulled the trigger on the RX1r today and I'm very interested to see how it compares to my a99-Sigma 35 1.4 setup???  I'll do side by side testing and decide if I want to keep it.  I'm more interested in the resolution gain the RX1r might have over the a99.

Jay

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Sony a99 vs. RX1r
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:07:53 pm »

DXOmark is accepted as being reliable:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/894|0/(brand)/Sony/(appareil2)/831|0/(brand2)/Sony

If you have a Sony FF system, the RX1/R fits in nicely for two reasons: low-light use (which no Sony body handles as well as the best from other mfrs), and when you need either a small or a silent camera.  According to everything I've read (I have the a900 and the RX1R), the RX1R will out-resolve the best of the a99, but not by much.  It's much much much better in low-light, however.

I think you'll be hard pressed to part with it once you've used it and looked at the files.

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:53:34 pm »

Low-Lite advantage of RX1 comes only in 1/2 EV but A99 has SSS - all lens will be stabilized.

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:01:56 pm »

I got the RX1R in yesterday and I've spent the last 6 hours setting up comparison shots with my A99 and Sigma 35 1.4 on a tripod at different Apertures, ISO's, focus points(far,near), etc..  I now have a headache from pixel peeping!!  I can only detect a very SLIGHT difference between the two cameras.  The RX1R is just barely sharper, and in plenty of shots I cant see any difference.  By the way, I have excellent vision, I have not hit the 40 yr mark(35) where everyone tells me your eye sight takes a dive.  This is subjective, but I don't like the form factor of the camera, it's almost too small for me and doesn't feel secure on my hands, and I don't mind extra weight if it improves handling.  I don't like the optional electronic view finder, I felt as though the finder on the a99 is better.  I did like that the shutter on the RX1R is silent, but it's not something that I need. 

The main reason I was interested in this camera was for it's weight and size.  I liked the idea of backpacking and hiking with this camera,   and I would keep it if it had a clear advantage in IQ and sharpness over my a99, but it just doesn't.

Anyone wanna buy and day old RX1R?
JAy

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 02:23:15 am »

Hi,

Sad to hear you didn't like it after spending your money? You can not send it back?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am happy owner of the A99. I guess I'll check out the Sigma 35/1.4.

Best regards
Erik

I got the RX1R in yesterday and I've spent the last 6 hours setting up comparison shots with my A99 and Sigma 35 1.4 on a tripod at different Apertures, ISO's, focus points(far,near), etc..  I now have a headache from pixel peeping!!  I can only detect a very SLIGHT difference between the two cameras.  The RX1R is just barely sharper, and in plenty of shots I cant see any difference.  By the way, I have excellent vision, I have not hit the 40 yr mark(35) where everyone tells me your eye sight takes a dive.  This is subjective, but I don't like the form factor of the camera, it's almost too small for me and doesn't feel secure on my hands, and I don't mind extra weight if it improves handling.  I don't like the optional electronic view finder, I felt as though the finder on the a99 is better.  I did like that the shutter on the RX1R is silent, but it's not something that I need. 

The main reason I was interested in this camera was for it's weight and size.  I liked the idea of backpacking and hiking with this camera,   and I would keep it if it had a clear advantage in IQ and sharpness over my a99, but it just doesn't.

Anyone wanna buy and day old RX1R?
JAy
Erik Kaffehr

allegretto

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 09:14:54 am »

RRS makes a wonderful handgrip for RX-1. Between the new geometry and added size it makes the RX much easier to shoot at lower SS. Between that wn the hideously expensive Sony thumbgrip it's not the same camera, but retains that well-built feel of the RX that few cameras possess.

Two totally different cameras. Wow, so different that they don't overlap that much in real daily use

Finally, if your problem with the RX is too much motion then for sure don't buy it. Being in focus is more important than any other parameter you'll find pixel-peeping, at least for me. Nothing to do about out-of-focus... it's ruined.
Pages: [1]   Go Up