Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Banging head on wall  (Read 4844 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Banging head on wall
« on: September 19, 2013, 11:08:09 am »

Or, how NOT to learn to use your new camera.

I got up at 6 AM the other day to do some dawn shooting at the coast with my new D600. I thought I got some pretty good images, but when I examined them they all seemed cropped. WTF? Turns out the camera was set to DX format rather than full-frame. Oy, that's one mistake I won't make again!

Cem

• Photographs
Re: Banging head on wall
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:13:16 am »

I think we all make similar mistakes every now and then Peter, sorry to read about yours. Does this mean that you weren't chimping during the shoot? Otherwise you would have noted the cropping I reckon?

PeterAit

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 11:34:36 am »

I think we all make similar mistakes every now and then Peter, sorry to read about yours. Does this mean that you weren't chimping during the shoot? Otherwise you would have noted the cropping I reckon?

Chimping? No, I left my chimpanzee at home. Seriously, I don't know what that means, although I guess it means checking the photo on the LCD screen right after shooting.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:40:22 am »

This has to be one of more useless features.  Can't you just crop later?  What benefit obtains, other than saving data storage space?  Am I todally missing something?

Cem

• Photographs
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:41:15 am »

Chimping? No, I left my chimpanzee at home. Seriously, I don't know what that means, although I guess it means checking the photo on the LCD screen right after shooting.
Yes indeed, it means exactly that.

PeterAit

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 11:50:59 am »

This has to be one of more useless features.  Can't you just crop later?  What benefit obtains, other than saving data storage space?  Am I todally missing something?

I agree - but perhaps it is meant for those using DX lenses. The viewfinder does show an outline of the crop area, but it's not all that obvious.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:07 am »

This has to be one of more useless features.  Can't you just crop later?  What benefit obtains, other than saving data storage space?  Am I todally missing something?

Actually, a very useful feature. It allows you to use your DX lenses. Either because you moved from DX to FX and have a couple of DX-only lenses, or you specifically want to use a DX lens, say when traveling, as they are more compact.

PeterAit

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 12:16:53 pm »

Actually, a very useful feature. It allows you to use your DX lenses. Either because you moved from DX to FX and have a couple of DX-only lenses, or you specifically want to use a DX lens, say when traveling, as they are more compact.

But wouldn't the camera "know" that a DX lens was mounted? Why make it an option that the user has to set?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 12:44:27 pm »

Yes the D600 does switch automatically to crop mode if you mount a DX lens, but the option to override crop mode is there. It might be worth your while to RTFI.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:10:52 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 03:41:38 pm »

You could still mount and use your DX lenses and crop to taste.  I found that I could use my 12-24 DX on my D800 down to about 18mm without serious IQ issues.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:23:38 am »

Enabling the crop feature means you can frame the image more accurately. Slobodan is correct in what he states. I did it once using my d600 and a Nikon 18-200 DX lens. As far as I know there aren't any FX lenses that cover that focal range so if you want to travel "light" then it is worth considering. Buying an FX camera and using it with a DX lens exclusively however doesn't make sense because you lose over half of the pixels. If my ageing memory is working then it is 10.6 mb compared with 24 mb.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:25:18 am by stamper »

BJL

Re: Banging head on wall: raw+JPEG?
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 10:02:40 am »

This is one side advantage of using raw+JPEG, even if you (like I) mostly aim at getting the settings right so that the JPEG is usable. I do not know about the D600, but on the cameras I do know, the in-camera crop only applies to the JPEG, so the uncropped RAW is there to save you. (It can also be the savior from other errors in settings, like white balance.)

Rob C

Re: Banging head on wall: raw+JPEG?
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 10:22:11 am »

This is one side advantage of using raw+JPEG, even if you (like I) mostly aim at getting the settings right so that the JPEG is usable. I do not know about the D600, but on the cameras I do know, the in-camera crop only applies to the JPEG, so the uncropped RAW is there to save you. (It can also be the savior from other errors in settings, like white balance.)

That seems like a very good idea, especially if you are shooting on the hop. But I don't think hanging on to crop-frame lenses makes sense if you also own an FF body - better sense to trade them away and get a single lens that's FF. You have to pay your losses at some stage - why waste your time, getting a lower value too, by putting it off?

I still have D200 to go with the D700, but I'd not use it unless for some stupid, passing idea of the moment; anyway, all my lenses are FF manuals - always were, bar a 180mm where I had no choice but buy one that does af too...

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 02:13:42 pm »

I was out shooting last night on the beach as it got dark. I was standing in a large patch of beach grass and I needed to make an equipment change. I took off my backpack, made the switch and promptly forgot about the pack! I got to the truck about a half hour later when it was pretty dark and realized that I had left the pack. I ran back to the furthest point I had been and retraced my steps, wishing my backpack wasn't black. I did find it  :) thankfully, before the tide did. I read a few years ago about a guy out in the wilderness who set down his pack in a field and did the same thing I did and he never did find it - loaded with tons of gear.

Sharon

You don't say whether it was a pro or am situation; if am, I'd suggest you copy my system: take a single camera with whichever lens has inspired you to brave the outdoors - you must have envisaged a shot prior to departure! It keeps out dust and sharpens the mind considerably.

Less is more in some situations.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 03:38:24 pm »

:-) But you were probably the beneficiary of something your wife had in her purse... My camera bag is like that. I carry an extra lens, filters, shutter release, etc. and then all the things I MIGHT need like lens cleaner, bug repellent, bandaids, wet wipes.

I make my living with photography but last night was for my pleasure... Truly a beautiful evening here. I was enchanted.

Sharon

Huh!

She was a business partner, loved the trips, giggled with the models but hated photography!

That's why nobody understands women.

;-)

Rob C

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 04:46:19 pm »

Yes the D600 does switch automatically to crop mode if you mount a DX lens, but the option to override crop mode is there. It might be worth your while to RTFI.

What! You'll be wanting us men to go along to maternity classes or eat salads next!!  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up