Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting to Zenfolio  (Read 4207 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Exporting to Zenfolio
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:01:31 pm »

I have been using the Jeffrey Friedel plug in to up load images to Zenfolio. I've noticed that the images on Zen, in the slideshow mode, are not as sharp as they should be. I played around with numerous export settings, from full size to the recommended 1100 x 850 pixels, and with the output sharpening standard and high in Lr. I also exported some images from Lr to reduced JPGs, which looked good on my computer screen, and then uploaded these to Zen. All of these methods result in rather unsharp screen images when viewed at Zenfolio.

I'm pretty sure Jeffry and Adobe are innocent here. Zen is doing something to the images that causes them to lose their crispness. Does anyone know what Zen is doing and is there a way to upload to Zenfolio so that you get good, crisp on-screen images?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Jimmy D Uptain

Re: Exporting to Zenfolio
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:32:54 am »

For what it's worth, I didn't like the Zenfolio plugin. I really cannot remember exactly why I didn't like it
I use Photo Mechanic to upload to Zenfolio and it works fine.
tell ya what, I'll try it and see if there is a difference in sharpness.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:04 am »

Try it with 5.2. In 5.0 there was a sharpening bug if you exported JPEGs which were under 1/3 of the original dimensions.

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:56:04 am »

The problem is not with the Zenfolio plug in. I uploaded directly from JPGs that I had created using the standard Lr JPG export tool and set for a good screen size and high screen sharpening. Those images looked very good on screen before uploading. When uploaded to Zenfolio, not using the Lr export, but dragging and dropping directly to the file, they became very soft.

I have contacted Zenfolio customer support and they have given me a  response with a couple of suggestions that I will try later on. I'll post the results of using those suggestions.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:36:55 pm »

Here's a link to my Misc. directory in Zenfolio.
http://paintboxphotography.com/p612493174
There are two identical pics depicting a ball with buildings in the background.
The first was a C1 conversion, converted to jpeg and sent via Photo Mechanic. The second is a Raw to Zenfolio via Lightroom (named "Lightroom" btw)
The only setting change I made in the plugin was "sharpen for screen" or something like that.
It looks to me as if the Lightroom version is a bit sharper.

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 08:19:41 pm »

I suppose this really isn't a Lr thread, it's a Zenfolio thread.

I exported the same image to Zenfolio using both the full size image (4618x3121) and images reduced to Zenfolio's recommended 1550x850. I used a variety of Lr export sharpening settings. The best one is a reduced image set for high screen sharpening in the Lr export settings. The grouping is in the album http://homershannon.zenfolio.com/p965692660

I've attached a 1550x1000 jpg export that was exported with standard screen sharpening as a reference.

My Zenfolio contract is up in two weeks and I don't think I'm going to renew if this can't be worked out.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:27:15 pm by Remo Nonaz »
Pages: [1]   Go Up