Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolomites, Italy. September, 2013  (Read 15897 times)

Isaac

Re: Dolomites, Italy. September, 2013
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 12:47:32 pm »

I do not understand the "aggressive" tone of some posts, with words like "ugly"... for sure the image is not to everybody's taste, but that is precisely the point?

Would "beautiful" make the tone too saccharine?

The scene is wonderful, with the rolling hills, barn, mountains, and sky.

Does "wonderful" make the tone too worshipful? :-)

The problem with "ugly" is when it's used as a dismissal without explanation.

HSway

• Sunwaysite
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 02:25:32 pm »

Apart from my own photography obviously, I have a weakness for characteristic expressions used by other photographers with their typical and personal imprint in their work, I should say style. I will (not for the first time) reach for example in one modest photographer from Indonesia Rarindra Prakarsa using his old EOS (Rebel) camera. This distinctive (and 'Indonesian') photography has more aspects to contemplate about but I want to particularly mention the intensive colour expression he gives to the certain scenes. He is selective about measuring strong colour saturation and imo pretty accurate with its delivery within his rather compact style.

http://photo.net/photos/rarindra

Kevin’s image comes to me as being put very well together, which is not an easy thing to do with the emphasis on colour of the elements in the scene (very nice scene..). I would say the image builds on this a lot (put together), whether fun or style leaves me unconcerned. I personally often find strong accent images somewhat unglued in one or more directions for my sense of a successful representation in general. For people that didn’t have the opportunity to see this type of clouds, I can only say that these form in some areas regularly and they do look perhaps even more solid than the ground under them. I am not sure about the light composition (and that is with no pun intended), I like to keep its structure in the scene but feel that the colour was pretty intense. I have just a slight problem with the intensity of blues far on the right side in the woods (turning into shadows) and would lower the blues there a tad.

I will stick a note about the 'Tree On A Hill How to' to this comment, well it’s a B&W and that means a distinctive expression almost by default. The composition is also very expressive which caught my attention but it’s quite close to naive for me and I’d have to see a bit more of the frame but would frame probably a little different. Which would, obviously, result in somewhat a different picture. As the debate seems quite passionate, what a surprise :-) , I will add that different means different in my language, and close means close. When I want to say something of a different meaning, I will.
And one general, I suppose that when a person has a very clear idea about his/her own photography/art it stops looking at work of others through particular glasses but with a view more open for seeing the same principles applied differently, with various aims, approach and motivation.
So his/her enjoyment is truly multidimensional, let’s say :-) and can (there still are conditions) last while others are lamenting. When things are done very well, no matter how dissimilar to my own vision, I get inspired. It may be in some indefinite way, but I always do. So yes, being confident about one’s own photography (or whatever) and having pretty good idea about it, whether that is spreading wide or is narrowly focused doesn’t matter, helps to see many important elements in work of others and recognize good from less good in much widened perspective and also enjoy it.

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 03:10:10 pm »

The public libraries in Silicon Valley thrive -- I guess that isn't true in the UK.

You could always rent women in Glasgow, just as in any other city; I much preferred marriage.

Rob C

dieter268

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »

Knowing from the images here and from the LR-Videos that Michael turns the saturation down much more often then increasing it I was quiet surprised when I just saw the image of the Dolomites today.
But a second look showed that it is Kevins image, so I don't have to worry that Michael has changes his style radically or even worse, has lost his sense of orientation and pushed the saturation slider in the wrong direction... ;) :P

Dieter

michael

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 04:37:44 pm »

Which simply goes to show that there exists a wide range of personal expression in photography. And, even though Kevin is prone to Raberization, he's still my friend. :-)

Michael

gerald.d

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 05:06:04 pm »

Forgive me if this seems to be a little too forward, but is the rationale behind posting this article to encourage people to come on the 2015 Antarctica workshop (advertised immediately below the image) so that they can learn from Kevin?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 06:02:02 pm »

Wow, never thought I could start such a discussion by posting an image with some fun post processing.  It's good to hear everyone's opinions.  Lots of positive and a few negatives.  Pretty much had counted on that.  The image is now gone and has been replaced by a new image.  This is a straight image and one I like a lot.  It was made a few weeks ago.  I got to witness and photograph 15 unique Polar Bear encounters.  It was an amazing opportunity to see something not too many people witness.  It's also interesting to learn of the challenges the Polar Bear faces as our environment changes.  Do some google research on the topic and if you get the chance make a trip north.

We have a few more days left for our Dolomites PODAS workshop which I am presently leading.  I have been posting images on my FaceBook page as well as my blog.  Many of the images are straight images with no post processing.   So, you can see that I can make images that look normal also.  In the end I will always make the choice on how I work my images.  It makes me happy!

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 10:13:36 pm »

Kevin,

I for one like the images so far but I like to see others work, whether or not it is what I prefer. I especially like hearing the details behind the image and the processing. Always something to learn. As I am sure you aware, there are always a wide range of passions and responses on this forum.  ;D

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

stamper

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 04:01:02 am »

The public libraries in Silicon Valley thrive -- I guess that isn't true in the UK.

You obviously haven't been in a Library in Scotland? World war 2 books have yet to make it into the history section. ;)

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 06:28:11 am »

You obviously haven't been in a Library in Scotland? World war 2 books have yet to make it into the history section. ;)

Hey, I was there for WW2; they, books about the period, only become history when the last guy's no longer standing.

I may not stand to my full 5'11¾" anymore, but at so few kilos, maybe I look the better for it: camera compression.

Rob C

Isaac

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 11:42:38 am »

You obviously haven't been in a Library in Scotland?

Not in the last 30 years. Digital Photo Art: New Directions

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 03:43:46 pm »

The short answer is I processed the images as 10 inch JPEGS and stitched them.  Now I know it will work I will stitch them full size when I get home. I'll do a full size stitch before I go to bed and the assembled image should be waiting for me when I get up in the morning. While I used 50 images they were not all even in rows and columns.  The images at the bottom were less because they were closer to me verses the upper rows because they were hundred plus yards away.  I used Photoshop and it did a great job.  I have done many stitched images in the Dolomites.  The landscape is so large it is almost a necessity.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

gerald.d

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 04:09:06 am »

Coming back to reality...

A question on the 4-row panoramic stitch. First, if I guess right, that's 4 rows and given the width, looks about 10 shots wide making 40 photographs. Even using the lowest end IQ back, that's 1.6GP. If you're using the 80MP backs, that's 3.2GP. What sort of laptop do you have in the field with you to process *that*? (Heck, even if you had access to some sort of cloud computing to massage all that data for you, it'd take forever to upload and download it all.) Does that even fit on one CF card?

MacBook Pro can handle that kind of load with ease. I've done a 72 image stitch (IQ180 - 500MB tiffs) with it in the past. You just need plenty of RAM, and fast disks.

viewfinder

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 06:06:55 am »

Kevin,...Please can you tell us a bit more about why you gave this particular treatment to your Dolomite shots?

On face value it seems very unlikely that an experienced craftsman would 'sex-up', or 'Disneyfy' such landscapes......there MUST have been reason to use "fun processing" despite the already graphic appearance of large tracts of the Dolomites, but I am genuinely ignorant of why you would do so and would very much like to know.    Obviously, you are not short of intelligence, good equipement, experience, skills or emotions,...So, Why?   I can understand that you did not wish to simply pursue a documentary approach, but why give this area of mid-Europe a semi-tropical look at complete odds with the region?

....Genuinely just inbterested and hoping to learn something!

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:02 am »

Kevin,...Please can you tell us a bit more about why you gave this particular treatment to your Dolomite shots?

On face value it seems very unlikely that an experienced craftsman would 'sex-up', or 'Disneyfy' such landscapes......there MUST have been reason to use "fun processing" despite the already graphic appearance of large tracts of the Dolomites, but I am genuinely ignorant of why you would do so and would very much like to know.    Obviously, you are not short of intelligence, good equipement, experience, skills or emotions,...So, Why?   I can understand that you did not wish to simply pursue a documentary approach, but why give this area of mid-Europe a semi-tropical look at complete odds with the region?

....Genuinely just inbterested and hoping to learn something!

I have posted an entry on my BLOG kevinraber.com showing original images and explaining why I choose to do what I did.  You can see what I started with and what I ended up with.  You can also view other images on my site and see that I don't always stretch things so far.  I put an image a day on my site.  Bottom line as it always is with me, is it makes me happy and I have fun.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

viewfinder

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2013, 05:34:45 am »

Kevin.....thank you for the reply!

I followed your link to your site and now understand why you 'do what you do'......

for other foillowers of this site who don't have time to look at your link, I will make a brief quote from your site so that they can 'get the idea'..........;

"...........  just for sake of qualifications, I can make Capture One, Lightroom and Photoshop do amazing things.  I am an accomplished photographer and have been doing this my whole life.  I have fun taking and making my images and every now and then as the artist I take certain liberties with my images and stretch it just a bit.   when I do I get a lot of people that notice. "

......I think that covers things succinctly.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2013, 06:18:21 am »

It left me wondering what role, if any, a photograph's believability plays in Kevin's happiness with an image? In this case, I can believe the landscape but the sky looks very wrong and would diminish my own satisfaction with it. Or is it more about having fun with the viewer?

John

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2013, 09:29:12 am »

Or is it more about having fun with the viewer?
A curious thing to do. Such grossly over processed images don't reflect well on the originator with many photographers I know.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2013, 09:57:44 am »

Curious? Don't we all enjoy winding people up?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2013, 10:48:08 am »

Don't we all enjoy winding people up?
No.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up