Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolomites, Italy. September, 2013  (Read 15901 times)

J. Paul

Dolomites, Italy. September, 2013
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:11:38 am »

Hello Kevin,
Your Dolomites scene is truly amazing!  I love the composition but the color seems over saturated on my laptop.  Could you tell me how much processing you did on this image? 
Kind Regards,
J. Paul

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Dolomites, Italy. September, 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:32:49 am »

J. Paul,  I did do a number of things to make this image pop.  I made the choice to show this image done this way.  Sometimes I like to take an image further for emphasis.  Is it right or wrong? There is no answer, it is what I wanted to do for this image.  It does make you look at it.  It does stand out.  In reality the scene was pretty intense, I just helped it along a bit.  It was totally my call. 

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

J. Paul

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 12:39:52 pm »

Kevin, thanks for your reply.  I just wanted to get an impression of how it really looked that day.  It is such a beautiful scene and photograph that I wouldn't think you would have to do much at all to make it look good.

I do enjoy seeing all of your photography and hope to see more!  You are a welcome addition to Luminous Landscape!
Regards,
J. Paul

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:30:11 pm »

To each his own, but maybe it's a good example of what black/white has to offer.

I find the colours far too green saccharine for my tastes, and I have no doubt at all that those clouds would have been absolutely stunning through a pola and yes, even on digital capture. There are those who say it doesn't work with digital - I find quite the opposite, but as I said, to each his own.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:40:29 pm by Rob C »

leeonmaui

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:59:03 pm »

Aloha,

Is it my imagination,
or were some posts removed from this topic?

Lee

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 04:52:13 pm »

Thanks all for your opinions and feedback.

I had fun taking this image and working on it.  I generally have fun when making my images.  More than anything else I got to witness and record an amazing evening of changing light.  We re-visited this location last night with even more amazing images and the moon in a great location.  I'll post some of these images in the coming weeks on my blog. For the record the greens were pretty darn green. 

I love sharing my work and hearing feedback.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions.  Obviously I am entitled to mine too as shown with the images I share.  The bottom line is I love what I do and I have a lot of fun doing it.

I look forward to sharing.  Look for a new image tomorrow.  This time from a different place.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

michael

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 05:13:40 pm »

Fun? How dare you have fun?!

Photography is serious, and is about accurately capturing an image of the situation without personal bias. Forensic accuracy is required. Fun is for children.

Cheeze. Come on Kev, get with the program.

Michael

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »

Hi,

A slightly unmanipulated picture of mine from my recent trip to the Dolomites (with some detail).

Best regards
Erik

Fun? How dare you have fun?!

Photography is serious, and is about accurately capturing an image of the situation without personal bias. Forensic accuracy is required. Fun is for children.

Cheeze. Come on Kev, get with the program.

Michael
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 05:35:29 pm »

Hi,

Another slightly unmanipulated picture from my recent trip to the Dolomites.

BTW, that PODAS in the Dolomites would have been nice. Sorry I missed it, but I couldn't do it anyway. I have seen quite a few of Hans Krause's great pictures from the Dolomites!

Kevin's image is great!

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:40:47 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:45:36 pm »

Well, I didn't know that LuLa was now showing paintings. I wonder what a photograph of that scene would look like? Pretty good, I bet.

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:37:08 pm »

TSJ1927

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:23:19 pm »

Good composition of the original scene ......................... Ugly representation of the same scene.  Art is not always in the eye of the beholder!

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 03:58:07 am »

Good composition of the original scene ......................... Ugly representation of the same scene.  Art is not always in the eye of the beholder!

Surely art is always in the eye of the beholder.  Once again, I agree with you about this picture - though I wouldn't say 'ugly', just a bit over-saturated - to my taste.  I know photographers who would love this work.

Tom, I just had a look at your website and I can see you are obviously an experienced and competent photographer.  However I don't really like 75% of your pictures.  To me they are over-processed and stylised.  Perhaps this is why you do not like Kevin's work, because it too is very heavily processed, but not in your style.  You are quite entitled to your opinions, but perhaps they should be tempered in public with subtlety and humility.  Perhaps you would like to share some of your work here.  And if you already have, I apologise in advance for having missed it.

Jim

PS - I have the luxury of being a photographer with no pretence at being an artist.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 04:11:45 am »

I do not understand the "aggressive" tone of some posts, with words like "ugly"... for sure the image is not to everybody's taste, but that is precisely the point? The scene is wonderful, with the rolling hills, barn, mountains, and sky.

If one is going to "overdo" this image, I would rather have it in colour than B&W; I think that people are more "forgiving" about "overdone" B&W images, compared to colour ones?

I actually like the colours on this image very much; they are saturated, of course, but to me the image shouts "Fuji", with all the rich greens and blues (I used to shoot a lot of Velvia...).

laughingbear

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 04:50:36 am »

This Kevin is a picture I called up every single day since you posted it. There was another one by Yat Lee from Jack Flesher's forum that had the same intruiging effect on me, here shot with a technical-camera also using the IQ 260.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yatlee/9577614910/

It is this "something" I strive to achieve ever since I started photography, here for example a mid day shot of Gweebara river in Ireland, taken with a humble Olympus E1, a 5MP camera, hence nearly a decade ago, and boy was this fun ;D

I would not hesitate to hang this Dolomites shot in my crip as a 60 inch wide print. Stunning!

Best
Georg

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:57:22 am by laughingbear »

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 05:13:12 am »

This Kevin is a picture I called up every single day since you posted it. There was another one by Yat Lee from Jack Flesher's forum that had the same intruiging effect on me, here shot with a technical-camera also using the IQ 260.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yatlee/9577614910/

It is this "something" I strive to achieve ever since I started photography, here for example a mid day shot of Gweebara river in Ireland, taken with a humble Olympus E1, a 5MP camera, hence nearly a decade ago, and boy was this fun ;D

I would not hesitate to hang this Dolomites shot in my crip as a 60 inch wide print. Stunning!

Best
Georg

Hey Georg, you might be striving to achieve that look, but I think except perhaps for a slightly over-saturated sky, your picture is much more enjoyable than the one you linked to by Yatlee.  That one is an amazing scene, completely over-cooked in my view. But then it is only my view!  Your picture is very natural.

Jim

cmi

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 07:56:05 am »

I think its a bit overdone and also the colors are a bit off. But still, an amazing scene and otherwise I totally like it.

stamper

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:50 am »

"Digital Photography Is Painting"

Isaac you are guilty of getting me to spend another £22 on a photo book. If I don't like it then I will bill you for the amount. :) The image is a bit cartoonish but there is room for all types of images except for the ones straight from a camera without user intervention. ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 09:13:49 am »

Bollywood.

I have no idea why and how, but that was the first thing coming to my mind upon seeing the picture. Truth to be told, I do not even think I've seen a single Bollywood movie in my life. And yet, this looks to me like a Bollywood poster or billboard. I keep looking for some kind of god or godess, sitting in those clouds in the ohmmm pose, or whatever pose gods strike in the clouds.

I do not even know if it is a good or bad thing, whether I am criticizing or paying a compliment. I guess I am hesitant to criticize it too much, as I personally often go for a bold, graphic interpretation in post processing. I often get that my photographs are like paintings too. I assume people (read: non-photographers) mean it as a compliment. And yet, something is bothering me in this photograph (painting?). I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Sky too blue? Clouds too crunchy? Shadows too open? Too contrasty? Too saturated? All of the above?

The picture is like a song you can't get out of your mind once you hear it. I keep looking at it, like people who can't help but stare at the scene of a car crash they are driving by. Once again, I do not know if it is a good thing or bad thing.

Intriguing.

Isaac

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 12:11:27 pm »

Isaac you are guilty of getting me to spend another £22 on a photo book...

The public libraries in Silicon Valley thrive -- I guess that isn't true in the UK.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up