Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1 Profiler - grey ramp too dark  (Read 7240 times)

gfsymon

Re: i1 Profiler - grey ramp too dark
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 05:50:27 am »

By speaking the same language : ICC.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 07:56:22 am »

I'm concerned about the tonal separation in greys approaching the Baryta325's achievable black.

I'm using an i1Pro-non-UVcut.

I'm actually running the developer release of 10.9, but it's not different to 10.8x.

With less light shadow separation tends to decrease.

Right, so it does excite the OBAs with UV and makes a profile accordingly.

So Mac, I do hope that your i1Profiler path takes care of the Mac OS / Adobe issues on target printing without a color space assigned.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 10:15:47 am »

And they can be speaking past each other, or speaking in different locations if you'll beg the analogy. Yes, the display profile and printer profile are 'linked' so to speak, when you soft proof. The creation of the printer profile has absolutely no knowledge of the display when built nor does the display know anything about the printer. Further, these printer profiles have two tables, one that affects output, one that affects the soft proof. In a prefect world, they are in sync and not only speaking the same language but understanding the nuances of the language. But that may not be the case. The printer's soft proof table requires a properly built display profile as well, one that is built to create a visual match to the print which means the print viewing conditions are part of the conversation. If the display is calibrated and profiled and this important part of the conversation isn't discussed, there's a mismatch.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 11:43:12 am »

>"That doesn't sound right - Perceptual should give you excellent blacks/shadows that's not that different from RelCol with BPC enabled."

Precisely what I think.  Nevertheless there is a significant difference.

That's a red flag you need to investigate. Why are they coming out so differently? What's screwing this up?

I made the profiles with i1Profiler 1.4.2 and ...  icc v2 (v4 doesn't work on the Z3100). 

Another red flag! If you're utilizing application level color management and selecting the profile in Photoshop's print dialog box the Z3100 doesn't know or care what version the profile is. Are you using your profiles at the application level or at the printer level? What options are you selecting at the print dialog box? What firmware are you using on the Z3100?

I suspect there are important details about your workflow that you haven't told us. There's a reason you're getting terrible results and if you'd spell out each and every step in your process more clearly perhaps we can catch what's happening.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 12:22:00 pm »

You really need to go back and read some basic explanations of how colour management works because your understanding is faulty.

Printer profiles don't try to match your monitor's output AT ALL. Until you grasp that, you're just going to confuse yourself further.

Consider what would happen if they did; If you had to install an old limited gamut monitor on your system would you expect your printer to suddenly be crippled back to the gamut of the monitor ?

gfsymon

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 03:40:45 pm »

And they can be speaking past each other, or speaking in different locations if you'll beg the analogy. Yes, the display profile and printer profile are 'linked' so to speak, when you soft proof. The creation of the printer profile has absolutely no knowledge of the display when built nor does the display know anything about the printer.

Indeed.

The printer's soft proof table requires a properly built display profile as well, one that is built to create a visual match to the print

Indeed 2.  Hence my comment that X-Rite have all the tools and should be using them to connive the best output.  As I said before, I'm very happy with the colour ... but squished blacks are getting old.

Andrew, I know that this is dreaming, but I'm sure we're in agreement that this is where we want to go.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up