Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: importing direct from camera  (Read 2353 times)

gary_young

importing direct from camera
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:25:19 am »

First, a very big thank you to Michael and Jeff for producing your video tutorials. They are so entertaining and educational, I have bought every one.

I am unable to import into Lightroom with the SD card from my Canon camera using any card reader.

In Michael's Lightroom 2 video tutorial, Ingesting, he states; "connecting the camera to the computer, bad idea".

He did not say why this is bad, so I am intrigued about this advice. I have never heard this advice given before.
I use a card reader out of personal convenience, but why should you never connect the camera?

GDRoth

Re: importing direct from camera
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:16 am »

What version of LR are you using?
Fuji X100S w/23mm f/2, Fuji XE-2 with 18-55mm, 10-24mm, Lightroom 5.5 and Photoshop CS5

My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901919@N03/

gerryrobinson

• Gerry Robinson Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:11:52 am »

Hi
Does Light Room see your card reader, or is your card reader unable to read the SD card that your camera uses?
 My card reader doesn't support the newer SD cards, so I have to connect the camera when using the newer card.
The only issue I've run into by using the camera to import files, is a speed issue.The card reader is quite a bit faster,
not to mention handier. Of course you have to wait until the import is finished to shoot with your camera, so that makes it
inconvenient as well.
Hope this helps
Gerry

Steve House

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:29:10 pm »

...In Michael's Lightroom 2 video tutorial, Ingesting, he states; "connecting the camera to the computer, bad idea".

He did not say why this is bad, so I am intrigued about this advice. I have never heard this advice given before.
I use a card reader out of personal convenience, but why should you never connect the camera?
When USB ports fail it's usually upon connection or disconnection from the computer.  Every time you plug or unplug, there's a chance of a zzzzap frying something.  If it's your unlucky day, it's far better to have zapped a reader that can be replaced at relatively low cost than it is to zap a camera costing hundreds of dollars to repair.

gary_young

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:57:09 pm »

Thanks Steve, this is the answer, and that makes sense to me.

Thanks Gerry as well, I have found the speed difference also, I forgot about that as it has never been an issue for the number of images I import at one time.
regards
G

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:05:04 pm »

Not only that, but cameras were designed to write image data to cards.  Cameras were never designed to transfer data from cards to computers.  Yes, you can do it, but if you plug in your camera to your computer for file transfer you may as well go and watch the molasses races.  And yes, if you have a newer camera and, say, and SDHC or SDXC card, an older card reader likely won't recognize it.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

gary_young

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 04:20:39 pm »

Cameras were never designed to transfer data from cards to computers.

Herein lies the problem; I have been looking at the instruction manuals over the last few days for as many cameras as I can get hold of, from cheap point and shoot to top end Canon.

Every one explains how to use the software on the supplied disc to transfer the files on to the camera using the supplied USB cable. There is no warning of any of the issues reported in the other posts.

The average user has never heard of any issues caused by tethering the camera to download images.

I will spread the word!

Glenn NK

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 02:03:47 am »

Cameras were never designed to transfer data from cards to computers. 
Mike.

Do you know of a reference to that?  I'd be interested in it.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources
Pages: [1]   Go Up