Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quantum Turbo 2x2x2 questions  (Read 1555 times)

sharperstill

Quantum Turbo 2x2x2 questions
« on: September 17, 2013, 06:44:20 am »

Hi all,
I have bought some PW triggers from a friend and he threw in a Quantum Turbo 2x2.
It hasn't seen much use lately and is currently on the charger. My research has taught me that the 2x2 uses NiMH cells and these can 'die' sooner than the SLA batteries in the older Turbo models, and they can also die if under-used.
So, my first question, is there a way to determine the health of the current battery cells? I have a large shoot coming up in October, so if I can determine the health of the cells I can do something about it by then.
I understand the need to run AAs inside the unit, and to change custom function 12 on my 580 EX II flashes, so that the AAs power the circuitry and the Quantum would power the output. My second question is; Can I use Eneloops as the internal AAs, as I currently do without the Quantum?

Jon

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Re: Quantum Turbo 2x2x2 questions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:10:02 pm »

Jon,

I have the Turbo 3, so am familiar with the general system, though the newer Quantum battery packs are Lithium battery based. You've acertained, correctly, I think the problem, which is that the batteries have lost any kind of conditioning from lack of use -- a significant problem with NiMH batteries. Because of it's construction, there really is no way for you, the user, to check the condition fo the battery. My recommendation is send it to Quantum for evaluation (even if it cost you a little something, since you got the battery for free). Based on their assessment, either have then do a battery replacement with fresh cells, or go with some of the newer battery packs on the market -- most of which are cheaper than Quantum units. Nissen and Bolt produce some nice packs, and Quantum even has more affordable units. It all depends on what Quantum says they will chareg to replace your cells and whether it is worth the cost versus a newer unit. Have it evaluated soon if your shoot is in October.

Nemo
Pages: [1]   Go Up