Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with bad clog on Canon ipf 6350  (Read 4010 times)

Jeff Stevensen

Help with bad clog on Canon ipf 6350
« on: September 16, 2013, 12:40:41 pm »

I'm trying to resurrect for a friend a very low-use Canon IPF 6350 that unfortunately sat for some time with only half the inks installed after use. I don't know if the previous owner followed proper procedure with transporting the printer, but it had had full ink in it at one time. Printer reports Head A clogged and is unable to clear it with several cleaning attempts. Printer is calling for a new print head. I have yet to make even one 8x10 print with this machine; I had to install the missing ink (!) carts in order to get the machine to do a shut down for moving (thanks for the absurdity, Canon engineers) thus dumping the newly installed ink and requiring a new waste ink tank. Moved, reinstalled inks, persistent clog. I'm reluctant to purchase a new head only to discover yet another problem or to have to buy yet more ink. Is there any way I can remove the print head, clean it and reinstall? Or is this dangerous to the printer? I invite all solutions by users with experience!

cengell

Re: Help with bad clog on Canon ipf 6350
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:56:56 pm »

Hello, you should check and research here http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/

They are mostly are a Canon printer forum!

Good luck

Christopher

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:06 am »

Could you show us a photo of a nozzle check print?

Take a look at ink tubes, and check if there's no air in a tube that's supplying ink to a clogged channel.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Jeff Stevensen

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:28:23 am »

Thank you, will check it out! The nature of the Canon engineering software design for this printer prevents me from making ANY print if the printer decides it is clogged. Unlike my Epsons, it "knows what's best" in the most frustrating manner.

Pete Berry

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:53:31 pm »

Thank you, will check it out! The nature of the Canon engineering software design for this printer prevents me from making ANY print if the printer decides it is clogged. Unlike my Epsons, it "knows what's best" in the most frustrating manner.

Jeff, you've just entered the expensive wasteland of trying to resuscitate an unproven (prints normally, no error messages, clear nozzle check) high end used printer - in your case one that seems to have been treated badly in the past, in addition to being a "very low usage printer" - one of the worst things that can happen to these workhorses.

There's a good reason in Canon LFP's for not allowing printing with a defective head: the heads are electro-thermally activated with a huge redundancy of spare nozzles, and as nozzles eventually suffer burnout, spares are auto re-mapped transparently. As the number of shorted-out nozzles increases, more current is drawn through the controller board, which will eventually destroy the board if printing is allowed to continue. The same thing if supply lines are air-locked, without the cooling effect of the ink. You will undoubtedly have to replace both heads sooner or later at about $800 total, plus several hundred for the ink refilling the purged lines and new heads, and a new maintenance tank.

As seductive as a used high end printer may be, they are rarely bargains unless fully proven to function normally, as there's usually a good, expensive reason they aren't still in use. If you're not prepared to deal with a "project" printer with unknown deeper problems, I'd cut my losses by selling the remaining ink and roll spindle and disposing of the carcass.

Sorry to play the pessimist, but in six years of following the Canon LFP WIKI and this forum which has been an Epson resource, I feel this is a realistic take.

PB

Jeff Stevensen

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:55:24 pm »

Thank you for your insights from experience. I have reached pretty much the same conclusion, that this project has too high a likelihood of expense and failure. I don't plan to continue, and will forward your and other comments to the owner. Cutting one's losses can be hard to do if one becomes too invested financially and emotionally; fortunately, I'm not down that path.

Robcat

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 09:20:53 pm »

I've had the ipf 8300 for 3 years. Needed 2 heads this year---because I let it go a couple weeks between prints a few too many times. No way around head replacement if the printer is demanding it. OTOH, a new print head is very likely to make it work and you're done.

Jeff Stevensen

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 11:03:50 am »

Thank you for sharing your experience. Replacing heads so  frequently has put me off from the large format Canons for now. Perhaps if this printer had been working when I first saw it and I'd seen the quality of the output, I might be willing to go down that path. For now, the printer seems to me to be too risky to invest further. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up