Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New RedCine-X GPU Accelerated Debayer  (Read 5428 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
New RedCine-X GPU Accelerated Debayer
« on: September 15, 2013, 09:50:49 pm »

RED has just released a beta version of RedCine-X that incorporate GPU accelerated debayer of R3Ds.  What this means is that you can get massive performance improvements (without a RedRocket Card) both in playback and transcodes... like 10x faster depending on your card.  The software uses OpenCL.

I tested it on my MacBookPro Retina and I was able to play back full 5k footage at 1/2 debayer with no stalls or stutters.

Good stuff, Maynard.

Mac Installer Package:
http://red.cachefly.net/redcinex/app...30042_Beta.pkg

Windows Installer:

http://red.cachefly.net/redcinex/app...eta_64-bit.msi

CB

michael

Re: New RedCine-X GPU Accelerated Debayer
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 04:34:01 am »

It'll be interesting to see how Premiere Pro handles CinemaDNG in the MB Retina.

Michael

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:52:40 am »

and I'm really looking forward to the SpeedGrade DirectLink.  I'm going to be simultaneously exploring two workflows...  PPro/SpeedGrade and FCP X/Resolve.  Man, I'm tired of learning new software.

CB

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:06:29 am »

CinemaDNG support isn't going to change anything, really - just as R3D support did before it.

I wouldn't recommend editing compressed CinemaDNG on a macbook because the data rate is going to be around the 65-80 MB/s mark (assuming lossless compression, which caps out at 2:1). You'll barely get two streams going. If you're editing original BMCC footage then the data rate is 150 MB/s. R3D worked because it is 4K, and when working with reduced resolution (1/2 or 1/4) you could still see the footage in 'full' quality. You're basically saddled with the same problems, minus the additional horsepower needed to decompress R3D footage. On the other hand, CinemaDNG isn't like R3D, with multiple layers of wavelet compression. The data rates are going to be on the higher side for the 4K version (300 MB/s+ lossless), and even at 1/4 resolution it will bring any laptop to its knees.

Resolve should be the best bet (after all, BMD knows their sensors better than anybody) to create LUTs on set. The footage can be transcoded to proxies for 'laptop-editing'. A 4-bay RAID 0/5/6/10 system should be able to deal with online edits (via Thunderbolt or USB 3.0). But that takes portability out of the equation.

I'm looking at this workflow:
  • Use Resolve for LUTs and transcoding to proxies. Or sidestep Resolve completely and use ACR via After Effects.
  • Edit in Premiere Pro and take the project to AE.
  • Import the LUT into AE via Apply Color LUT plugin. A LUT is just a starting point. Or use metadata.
  • Grade and finish in AE (Without using AME, which is slower for some strange reason).

I would avoid Speedgrade. For digital video it offers no benefits over After Effects. Direct Link is probably just a step ahead of working with EDLs. Speedgrade is a 'DPX' beast, doesn't do very well with anything else. I would avoid Resolve, because there is no Direct Link. However, if you're editing in FCP-X, Resolve makes more sense because it has support for FCPXML. Also, Resolve has great metadata integration with the cameras. We don't know how Adobe will work with CinemaDNG metadata, and at the same time stay true to XMP.

It's like giving cows free passes to a slaughterhouse.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:10:02 am »

We have a huge Max DIT station we use from time to time, but to work faster we've moved to putting most of the DIT station on a magliner.

For the RED footage we'e just moved to an M-logic case form the older massive "portable" red rocket case.

The M logic is small, lightweight and allows for full 4k debayer, immediate playback, everything you would and could do on a desktop, but do it in the field, but that's only for RED camera files.

What I would like to see, from all the makers of cameras and software to give specs on the complete food chain.  In other words if you shoot cinema dng, what computer, coloring/transcode suite, graphics card(s) will speed production and quality.

The one good thing about RED is they do offer the complete chain.  The bad news is they charge a lot for it.

IMO

BC
Pages: [1]   Go Up