Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avoid the Epson R3000  (Read 2255 times)

ablankertz

Avoid the Epson R3000
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:19:28 pm »

While it has the nominal capacity for roll paper, it's impossible to print panoramas because the paper won't feed straight, and Epson's customer service won't acknowledge that there's a problem.

John Chardine

• chardine photography
Re: Avoid the Epson R3000
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 10:13:03 pm »

I have the R2000 and it feeds roll paper flawlessly. No reason why the R3000 should be any different. If your printer is still under warranty I would insist on Epson fixing or replacing it.

mac_paolo

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 02:02:25 am »

I never printed any roll on my 2yrs old R3000, but definitely yes, it doesn't print really straight. Measuring white borders on a A4 or bigger you can verify a little bit of error.

NeroMetalliko

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 02:35:12 am »

While it has the nominal capacity for roll paper, it's impossible to print panoramas because the paper won't feed straight, and Epson's customer service won't acknowledge that there's a problem.

Hello,
I think that it is right to point out experienced design flaws that may arise in real daily works with a product,
this could help users to make their choices and could push the manufacturer (Epson in this case) to keep in consideration the user feedback and enhance their printer/services.

That said, I honestly think that there is a lot more in a printer like the R3000 other than the roll capability,
I'm not saying that it is not important, but I think it gives it not justice to open a thread with a generic and lapidary title like "Avoid the R3000" only for this reason.

Just my opinion.

Ciao.

Andrea :)

lfajardo

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 11:24:13 am »

I encountered similar problem with a third party paper roll on my epson 4800. On close examination, I found that the spool of paper was not flush with the end of the spindle. While on the spindle I gently rotated the roll 'backwards' to loosen the paper. Then I gently re-tightened (but not too tight) the roll of paper, making sure that it was flush against the spindle. This solved the problem.

What we are talking about here is rather small misalignments ( a few degrees between roll/spindle/head). I've wondered why Epson does not provide a straight edge guide? I've come up with two possibilities: First, having an edge when the paper is fed askew, may cause the paper to buckle and causing major head strikes. Second, to do it right, I think the roller assembly would have to consist of a metal flat bed at least 2-3 feet long with the paper being pressed down. This would be expensive.

So, I'm left with developing a gentle touch in lining up the roll in the feed path.

Andrea, Your comment is on the spot. In a wider context, it reflects the current state of American politics - folks are more interested standing on their soap boxes, rather than looking for solutions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up