Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrades/Repairs needed for 2011 Macbook Pro 15" non-retina  (Read 1691 times)

DanielStone

Upgrades/Repairs needed for 2011 Macbook Pro 15" non-retina
« on: September 14, 2013, 05:47:21 pm »

hey all,

I got a helluva deal($400) from a friend on a 15" 2011 MBP, non-retina. However, it came(I knew this prior to purchase) with a DOA battery. Needs to be plugged into the wall in order to work. Will not charge at all.

However, I'm looking to also do a few upgrades to it to step up from my ~2008 MBP, and wondered if anyone knows a reliable tech here in LA who can do this work(see list below):

1. Swap out battery for new(not necessarily an OEM, maybe a better non-factory?) one, if possible.
2. Upgrade memory(8gb currently, to 16gb)
3. Swap out HD(750GB 7200rpm for 256gb SSD), and reinstall OSX from other drive. So it's "ready to go", I don't need to re-install software, etc.

I can purchase all "upgrade" parts from OWC myself, except the battery(tech will need to furnish/purchase).
However, I'd like for someone else to do the labor portion. Preferably a licensed professional w/ experience. I consider myself too ham-fisted for this kind of stuff.

Any tips/help/pointing in right direction would be much appreciated. Google is tossing me a few links, but reviews seem spotty on most of them.
Preferably a brick & mortar business, not someone's home or apt. Unless they can do it while I wait and watch/help.

thx,
Dan

twelch

Re: Upgrades/Repairs needed for 2011 Macbook Pro 15" non-retina
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:51:25 pm »

Dan,

I don't see where you are located. 

OWC has some great repair videos http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_15_unibody_early11/

I would expect to pay $75-100 USD/ hour.  You can do it!

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:58:12 am »

Dan -- only you know the extent of your ham-fistedness, but as mentioned, these upgrades can be done by anyone patient and careful.  The OWC videos are very helpful.  Format the new drive and install the OS prior to swapping the drives.

Or ask a geek friend.  I'd do it for a single Leffe. 

I replaced the battery in a 13" MBP with an OEM one and had power problems with the machine for a year or so until I replaced that battery with an Apple battery.  N=1, but the daily stalls and crashes on that machine were not worth the $30 I "saved" buying the OEM battery.

(I mix and match camera batteries -- never had a problem.)

Good luck.

DanielStone

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 01:32:24 am »

so this has been a LONG time coming, but with some other things to have tended too before this, I finally decided to take it in and get some upgrades done!

I found(actually through Craigslist!) a place here, in Hollywood:

http://www.macprola.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/macpro-la-hollywood

I spoke with Ray(owner) multiple times about configurations and pricing(120gb SSD, 16gb ram upgrade, new battery install). After tax, it came in @ $650 even.
Chris was the tech who did the work on it, IIRC. Very nice guy(well both of them, but I only met Chris).

I'm typing this response on the now LIGHTNING fast upgraded machine, and with a boot time of ~10sec(and shutdown time of ~4-5sec max), I'm really enjoying this major(to me) upgrade from my former '08 MBP.

Having experienced what so many others on yelp(see reviews on above link) have raved about, I can highly recommend their services if anyone here in the LA area needs any upgrades/repairs done. Small place, but as the saying goes "good things come in small packages" :).

Thanks MacPro-LA!

cheers,
Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up