Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flooding in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico  (Read 5880 times)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Flooding in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico
« on: September 14, 2013, 10:36:31 am »

I know the biggest flooding problems are in the Front Range of the Rockies, but a little online investigation finds flooding and paved road wash-outs well south into New Mexico, and west near Hurricane UT, Escalante UT, and Capitol Reef Nat'l Park.

I've got a long trip to planned to start late next week to the areas near and between Aspen and Ouray Colorado, Farmington NM, and the 4-corners area of  southeast Utah. For the most part we're planning to be on the "back roads" in these places, which range from graded dirt to high clearance 4 wheel drive. Before I cancel and go to "Plan B" I wanted to ask if anyone here has local information about any of these areas.

Thanks
- Dean

NashvilleMike

Re: Flooding in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 04:07:56 pm »

I recently returned from the northern arizona / kanab utah / page arizona area, and I can tell you that the list of closed or impassable roads in that region was longer than I've ever seen it. I don't know if they are posted online, but offhand from memory, cottonwood canyon road is closed, house rock valley was impassable at one point and there was a whole list of roads that one couldn't get on in the escalante region as well. The ranger at the Big Water station basically said "it's pretty much just the paved roads that are usable at this point". However, that was 2 weeks ago; you might want to call up some of the contact stations and find out for sure before you make your trip. The weather there has been really rough in terms of floods/roads, so you might be in for some re-planning.

Sorry I can't remember more details!

-m

DeanChriss

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 04:53:21 pm »

Thanks for the input, Mike. Your description is fine, and in line with everything else I've been able to find out. I've seen water cut impassable trenches through dirt roads in the past, and I'm sure any roads that ford streams are completely gone. In all I think we'd be better off doing something a lot further north right now and give this another shot next year.

Thanks again.
- Dean

SeanBK

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:47:44 am »

NashvilleMike, u mentioned Page, AZ, how does the Antelope Canyons look? I read that ladder is washed away, so only one is there to go up & down. Also anything @ White Sands National Park? In next 2-3 weeks I was planning. :( Thinking of cancelling & doing a spring/summer shoot.

NashvilleMike

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 02:29:43 pm »

When I was in the area lower antelope was closed. I know those guys tend to work hard at getting out the sand, etc, so it might be open now. I haven't heard anything about any (or which) ladder got washed out though - I was only in Page for a day as I was headed to the North Rim and used it as a stop over point.

White Sands is pretty far away; I have no clue how it has been doing. Might be worth a call.

-m

SeanBK

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:14:51 pm »

Thank u. Road collapsed, Rt 89 closed near Page, AZ
http://www.az511.gov/adot/files/traffic/
   Same thing near Alamogorda, NM for White Sands national Park.  :'(

aduke

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 04:20:50 pm »

Thank u. Road collapsed, Rt 89 closed near Page, AZ
http://www.az511.gov/adot/files/traffic/
   Same thing near Alamogorda, NM for White Sands national Park.  :'(

The collapse of Rt 89 happened more than six weeks ago and has little to do with the current rain conditions.

Alan

SeanBK

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:27:33 am »

Thank you. But it shows it still is impassable. I was just interested in going to Antelope Canyon & taking images, I can certainly wait till later date.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 04:12:12 pm »

I just got off of Cedar Mesa and I live in Moab.  Snow Flat Road is impassable as of yesterday.  Unless some new storms come in it'll likely re-open within a couple of days.  McCloyd Canyon, where Moon House Ruin is located, flashed while we were there and it was the biggest and scariest flash flood I've personally witnessed.  Cedar Mesa got hammered yesterday and it is likely that some of the other popular roads in the area are also impassable.  The White Rim is closed at Labyrinth Canyon but may re-open as early as tomorrow.  Just about everything in The Needles is closed.  I haven't heard anything but I wouldn't be surprised if Lockhart Basin is impassable.  Most of the other roads in the Moab area are open. 

DeanChriss

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 03:22:12 pm »

I just got off of Cedar Mesa and I live in Moab.  Snow Flat Road is impassable as of yesterday.  Unless some new storms come in it'll likely re-open within a couple of days.  McCloyd Canyon, where Moon House Ruin is located, flashed while we were there and it was the biggest and scariest flash flood I've personally witnessed.  Cedar Mesa got hammered yesterday and it is likely that some of the other popular roads in the area are also impassable.  The White Rim is closed at Labyrinth Canyon but may re-open as early as tomorrow.  Just about everything in The Needles is closed.  I haven't heard anything but I wouldn't be surprised if Lockhart Basin is impassable.  Most of the other roads in the Moab area are open. 

Thanks for the info Bret. Between that and the fact much of our itinerary was in Colorado, most of what we planned to do is either impossible or "iffy". We decided to put this off until next fall and do something completely different. Regardless, I appreciate the response very much.

Thanks!
- Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up