Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800E - ideal lens for Landscape work?  (Read 15314 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Nikon D800E - ideal lens for Landscape work?
« on: September 13, 2013, 10:00:29 pm »

I'm selling my H4D-50 and 28mm lens and I've just purchased the Nikon D800E.
With it I purchased the Nikkor 24mm PC-E lens.  From this starting point, you can tell that manual focus is not a problem for me.  I'm after the best field of view and image quality.

Want to hear what lenses others using the D800E have found to be the best for Landscape work.
I have no interest in Zoom lenses as I've never found one that could beat a Prime.

Thanks

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Nikon D800E - ideal lens for Landscape work?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 12:58:04 pm »

I'm quite interested in this response as well, though I don't find good zooms a problem. I've been looking at both the 12-24 2.8 and the 12-24 f/4 but more this one because I can use my filters.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 02:10:59 pm »

Hi Chris,

Amazed at the lack of reply to this thread!

FYI:  I've been doing a lot of research and the Zeiss ZF.2 21mm f/2.8 seems to have very good reviews.
Also the Zeiss ZF.2 15mm f/2.8 has great reviews.  Neither is inexpensive, but compared to Hassie lenses they are a bargain, so I don't care.

My default for years with the Hassie H4D-50 was the 28mm lens.  Thus I'm thinking the Zeiss 21 might be a good replacement.
A 15 would probably have just too much distortion for my primary topic:  Landscapes in B&W.

Jack

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 02:38:32 pm »

$1,800 tamaters is a bit steep but then the optics are unparalleled. I like that they built it so you could attach a filter. Now to check and see if Lee supports an 82mm. I will add it to my maybe list.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 03:06:42 pm »

Amazed at the lack of reply to this thread!

Maybe if you'd posted in Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 03:57:57 pm »

Hi,

I have a Samyang 14/2.8 that is amazingly sharp at medium apertures...

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Colorado David

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 04:24:12 pm »

Well, I'd answer, but I don't quite meet your specifications.  I have the D800 not the E and I am very satisfied with the 14-24 2.8, the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8.  I don't have a problem with the top of the Nikon line zooms.  I would like to buy a really good manual focus prime for stitching, but haven't nailed it down yet.  I'll keep watching this thread.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 04:51:02 pm »

I have tried on the D800E the Leitz summicron R 35 and have found it very good, amazing indeed.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 05:00:04 pm »

I use a Zeiss 21 on my D800. The lens correction in ACR does an excellent job with any distortion. I tried the 24 PC-E, but the corners are weak and it doesn't stitch that well (at least the example I tried). It is, however, very good using rise for converging verticals.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 05:05:57 pm »

I bought a 55 f3.5 AIS macro from KEH for my D800 and was so amazed at the IQ I immediately ordered another one as a backup.  Very sharp at infinity and of course it's an excellent macro lens.

My new Samyang 14 is very sharp, too.  For skies, it's superb.

NashvilleMike

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 06:01:10 pm »

After a fair amount of trial and error I arrived at the following wide angles for my landscape kit for my D800E:

Zeiss 21/2.8 - probably my favorite of the bunch. Not perfect (cyan corner shading) but no wide angle is on this body. The sharpness and particularly the microcontrast is astounding.

Nikon 24/1.4G - needs to be stopped down to F/7.1 for the corners to work. You won't need this as you've got the PC-E.

Nikon 28/1.8G - built like crap, field curvature galore that needs to be "learned", but the payoff is that it's quite sharp at the landscape apertures and long subject distances.

Sigma 35/1.4 - utterly amazing at the moderate distances, still pretty good at the longer distances. Some folks have reported some variation on this one, but mine is a truly wonderful, a class leading lens, so I'm happy. It beat out my Nikkor 35/1.4G (since sold) and a Zeiss 35/2 I evaluated in my tests, which is why I bought it.

I also have the 14-24, which I use in the rare instances I need an ultrawide (I'm not really an ultrawide shooter) and if I had the budget, I'd also like the Zeiss 25/2 for it's superior (class leading) middle distance performance (I'd still take the 24/1.4 for distant subjects though)

-m

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 06:43:43 pm »

Maybe if you'd posted in Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

I put it here because I wanted feedback from folks that focus on Landscape work.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 09:06:19 pm »

The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is a terrific lens, both photographers and testers agree. A few people have noted quality control problems, with occasional units not living up to specs - so if you get one, make sure you can exchange it for another if need be.

But remember, a zoom does not have to "better" a prime, it just has to equal it for practical photo work. A prime may beat a zoom on the optical test bench, but if it doesn't take better photos, who cares?

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 09:38:34 pm »

After a fair amount of trial and error I arrived at the following wide angles for my landscape kit for my D800E:

Zeiss 21/2.8 - probably my favorite of the bunch. Not perfect (cyan corner shading) but no wide angle is on this body. The sharpness and particularly the microcontrast is astounding.

Nikon 24/1.4G - needs to be stopped down to F/7.1 for the corners to work. You won't need this as you've got the PC-E.

Nikon 28/1.8G - built like crap, field curvature galore that needs to be "learned", but the payoff is that it's quite sharp at the landscape apertures and long subject distances.

Sigma 35/1.4 - utterly amazing at the moderate distances, still pretty good at the longer distances. Some folks have reported some variation on this one, but mine is a truly wonderful, a class leading lens, so I'm happy. It beat out my Nikkor 35/1.4G (since sold) and a Zeiss 35/2 I evaluated in my tests, which is why I bought it.

I also have the 14-24, which I use in the rare instances I need an ultrawide (I'm not really an ultrawide shooter) and if I had the budget, I'd also like the Zeiss 25/2 for it's superior (class leading) middle distance performance (I'd still take the 24/1.4 for distant subjects though)

-m

Good info - thanks for sharing Mike!
Jack

shadowblade

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 03:27:27 am »

From 14mm to 20mm, you won't find a prime sharper than the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 (yes, that includes the Zeiss 15, which I'd say is about equal to the 14-24). The Canon TS-E 17L would be sharper, but, unfortunately, cannot be mounted to the D800E even with an adapter, due to Nikon's greater flange distance.

From 21mm and up, of course, you have the Zeiss 21mm Distagon.

The Nikon PC-E lenses don't hold a candle to Canon's TS-E tilt-shifts. Less sharp, less shift and no ability to independently adjust the tilt and shift axes.

jerome_m

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 03:32:14 am »

The H28D has about the same field of view as a 20mm on the D800. For these kinds of wide-angle, your choices are:
-the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 zoom, which is Nikon's best ultrawide, but is too heavy for you
-Zeiss 21mm f/2.8.

Closed down to f/8-f/11, you would also get decent results from the Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR zoom or, presumably, the old and tiny 20mm f/2.8. But the lenses above are better.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 07:28:51 am »

From 14mm to 20mm, you won't find a prime sharper than the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 (yes, that includes the Zeiss 15, which I'd say is about equal to the 14-24). The Canon TS-E 17L would be sharper, but, unfortunately, cannot be mounted to the D800E even with an adapter, due to Nikon's greater flange distance.

From 21mm and up, of course, you have the Zeiss 21mm Distagon.

The Nikon PC-E lenses don't hold a candle to Canon's TS-E tilt-shifts. Less sharp, less shift and no ability to independently adjust the tilt and shift axes.

Agree on the Nikon PC-E.  Nice but not going to be my default.

Sounds like the Zeiss 21 Distagon may be my "go to" default lens.  I keep reading great reviews and getting confirmation here.
BUT I just checked at Dxomark.com and they are not very fond of the 21!
That's concerning to me!!

As I never felt the need for wider than the 28 Hassie, I expect the 21 will be as wide as I have to go.
But I must admit interest in your comment about the 14-24.  How does it compare to the Zeiss 21?

I am going from the H4D-50 plus the 28, 50-118 and 80 down to a D800E with just two lenses, a wide and probably one other lens in my pack.  Thus even with the added weight of the 14-24 verse the Zeiss 21 I'm still way ahead. (also tired of the hugh depreciation of the Hassie digital gear.  For what I lost in value on my last system I could buy all of the Nikon gear I want and still have money left over for a great dinner with friends).

Next, define the next step up in focal length lens.  I have the Nikkor 85 but would like something in between that is as sharp as the Zeiss 21.
Ideas?

Jack
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:43:07 am by Lust4Life »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 08:43:25 am »

Hi,

This may be interesting: http://www.3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127:uwa-comparison&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

And this may be interesting, too: http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2012/11/zeiss-28mm-f2-8-zf2-on-d800e

Best regards
Erik

Agree on the Nikon PC-E.  Nice but not going to be my default.

Sounds like the Zeiss 21 Distagon may be my "go to" default lens.  I keep reading great reviews and getting confirmation here.

As I never felt the need for wider than the 28 Hassie, I expect the 21 will be as wide as I have to go.
But I must admit interest in your comment about the 14-24.  How does it compare to the Zeiss 21?

I am going from the H4D-50 plus the 28, 50-118 and 80 down to a D800E with just two lenses, a wide and probably one other lens in my pack.  Thus even with the added weight of the 14-24 verse the Zeiss 21 I'm still way ahead. (also tired of the hugh depreciation of the Hassie digital gear.  For what I lost in value on my last system I could buy all of the Nikon gear I want and still have money left over for a great dinner with friends).

Next, define the next step up in focal length lens.  I have the Nikkor 85 but would like something in between that is as sharp as the Zeiss 21.
Ideas?

Jack
Erik Kaffehr

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 09:01:09 am »

Want to hear what lenses others using the D800E have found to be the best for Landscape work.

In addition to words & opinions, evaluate the actual lens and images taken with that lens by using a service from a rental shop such as LensRentals.com.
~ CB

jerome_m

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 09:09:45 am »

Don't forget that people using the 14-24 f/2.8 for landscape complain about its sensitivity to raindrops, temperature changes and stray light.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up