Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: CC & LR5 New Subscription: How long does the price remaiin at $9.99 a month  (Read 13316 times)

Jsostar

I am not sure how long the $9.99 price will last, if signup for Adobe's new Subscription plan for Photoshop CC and LR5.

I found this FAQ link about Adobes new plan.

http://http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#pslr-bundle

Photoshop photography program offer

What is the Adobe Photoshop Photography Program offer?

This offer includes access to Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5, plus feature updates and upgrades as they are available; 20GB of cloud storage for file sharing and collaboration; and Behance ProSite for your own fully customizable professional portfolio. That means you get all the benefits of a Creative Cloud single-app membership for Photoshop CC, but with Lightroom 5 included as well, for a terrific monthly price (all prices are exclusive of VAT/local taxes):
    North America    $9.99 USD
    European Union    €9.99 EUR
    EMEA non-EU    $9.99 USD
    Australia/New Zealand    $9.99 AUD
    Asia Pacific    $9.99 USD
    Japan    ¥1,000 JPY
    United Kingdom    £7.14 GBP

This offer is available to customers who own a previous commercial version of Photoshop or Photoshop Extended, version CS3 or later (CS3.x, CS4, CS5.x, or CS6). Suites and volume licenses do not qualify. Requires an annual commitment with monthly billing. Available for purchase from September 17, 2013, through December 31, 2013 from Adobe.com only.

Will the cost of my Photoshop Photography Program membership increase?

Customers who sign up by December 31, 2013 will be able to continue their membership. This price is not a special introductory price for your first year only; it is the standard price for this level of membership. But if you cancel your membership in the future, you will not be able to re-join at this special price.

The way I interpret this, is the price will remain at $9.99 until I can no longer make my monthly payment.

Is this the right interpretation? 

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: CC & LR5 New Subscription: How long does the price remaiin at $9.99 a month
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:32:38 pm »

I think so.

Unless, of course, they change the rules again!  :'(
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

jrp

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:44:12 pm »

The way I interpret this, is the price will remain at $9.99 until I can no longer make my monthly payment.

Unfortunately not.  What they are currently saying -- see some of the other threads here -- is that they have no current plans to change that price, but that does not, of course, preclude them deciding to do so at some point in the future.  (So it is not like a current phone contract, where the price is fixed for the duration at the time that you take it out, eg)

MikeChambers

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 03:42:26 pm »

Unfortunately not.  What they are currently saying -- see some of the other threads here -- is that they have no current plans to change that price, but that does not, of course, preclude them deciding to do so at some point in the future.  (So it is not like a current phone contract, where the price is fixed for the duration at the time that you take it out, eg)

That is correct.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

lhodaniel

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:18:26 pm »

Mike,

I now understand that the bundled LR does perish when one discontinues the subscription. This conflicted with Eric's answer in the affirmative when I asked if the bundled LR license is perpetual, i.e. that one could continue to use the LR one had from the bundle at the end of a year after discontinuing.

If the CC LR license does perish, then that is a bit scary since LR catalog files are not backwards-compatible. This could be a bigger problem than PS not being backwards-compatible. A single LR perpetual license upgrade at the end of CC is not a problem, as long as there are never any version restrictions on upgrading LR. I have LR 4 now. If I quit CC at LR 8 and the CC license perishes, I want to be able to upgrade from 4 to 8. If I have to upgrade the LR perpetual copy at every step along the way, it defeats the benefit of the bundle.

Can you clarify this one more time?

Regards,
Lloyd

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:59:43 am »

I have just signed up, and noted the following "guarantee" regarding future pricing:

"Renewal

"The price is valid for a full 12 months. After that, we'll renew your contract automatically, at the then-current price of the offering, unless you cancel. The price is subject to change, but we will always notify you beforehand."

So, the pricing is not permanent.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

jeremyrh

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:04:28 am »

I am not sure how long the $9.99 price will last, if signup for Adobe's new Subscription plan for Photoshop CC and LR5.

I found this FAQ link about Adobes new plan.

http://http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#pslr-bundle

"This price is not a special introductory price for your first year only; it is the standard price for this level of membership. But if you cancel your membership in the future, you will not be able to re-join at this special price."

So, is it a special price or not?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 11:36:04 am »

It's a price that won't be doubled after a year, Jeremy, and would be the base price for any future price rises. So you might find it's £11 in a couple of years' time. At least, that's how I read what Adobe seem to be saying at present.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 01:05:30 pm »

Based strictly on what I've read in print from Adobe, without making any inferences, the only thing we know is that the price for the photographer's bundle is $9.99 per month for the first year. Beyond that there is no price commitment. Given all the controversy I wouldn't expect the first round of price increases to be huge, but anything beyond those first 12 months is just a guess.
- Dean

hubell

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 01:24:21 pm »

Mike:
What would be very reassuring for many, and I think appropriate, is for Adobe to commit to pricing the special PS/LR CC package in the future at a level that preserves the 50% discount off the "regular" price of the PS CC single license. Thus, if Adobe at some raised the price of the PS only CC rental from $20 per month to $24 per month, the price of the special PS/LR CC rental would not be raised above $12 per month. (Of course, Adobe should decide not to raise the rent on the special package at all!) It's nice to know that Adobe has no "plans" to raise the price in the future, but the preservation of the discount does offer significant comfort that the original deal is a real deal and not a teaser price.
Thanks.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 11:51:26 pm »

I now understand that the bundled LR does perish when one discontinues the subscription. This conflicted with Eric's answer in the affirmative when I asked if the bundled LR license is perpetual, i.e. that one could continue to use the LR one had from the bundle at the end of a year after discontinuing.

I believe what I said originally remains true for Lr 5.  (However, it may not be applicable for future major versions of Lr.)

This could be a bigger problem than PS not being backwards-compatible. A single LR perpetual license upgrade at the end of CC is not a problem, as long as there are never any version restrictions on upgrading LR. I have LR 4 now. If I quit CC at LR 8 and the CC license perishes, I want to be able to upgrade from 4 to 8. If I have to upgrade the LR perpetual copy at every step along the way, it defeats the benefit of the bundle.

Unfortunately I can't give you a concrete answer to this yet.  But I can tell you that the Adobe exec staff is aware of this concern, and I hope there will be something official I can communicate to you regarding this.  (I can tell in the meantime that they have every intent to alleviate this concern, but I recognize that's rather meaningless till you have the specifics. I'm trying to get you those details as quickly as I can.)
Eric Chan

jeremyrh

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 02:55:22 am »

It's a price that won't be doubled after a year, Jeremy, and would be the base price for any future price rises. So you might find it's £11 in a couple of years' time. At least, that's how I read what Adobe seem to be saying at present.
Well, that's what I guess too, but I'm not sure if it's entirely consistent - they say it's the price for this plan, but will subscribers after 31 December get that price? I guess not. So if they get a different price, say $20, how long will Adobe keep 2 separate streams of customers, before "offering" the $9.99 folk the "opportunity to upgrade" to $20 ?

I suppose it's worth a punt to find out - and that's probably what they are relying on.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 03:44:39 am »

So if they get a different price, say $20, how long will Adobe keep 2 separate streams of customers, before "offering" the $9.99 folk the "opportunity to upgrade" to $20 ?
You just have to hope someone in Adobe has thought of that, but one has the impression they are "listening to customers" (my euphemism for making it up as they go!).

My guess is that they intend to let these streams persist because the $9.99 won't be a huge proportion of their total customer base in 3-4 years' time. You may as well bring these people on board, even if they're paying half price, and trust that they will continue to encourage others to use Photoshop while not leaving a market for any competitor. It also helps move a chunk of Lightroom's user base over to the subscription model which might make it easier to decide one day that its perpetual licence is "unsustainable" (although I do believe Adobe when they say that they do not intend to do this). So while the $20 people might whinge, I can see enough arguments to keep existing customers loyal.

dseelig

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 12:49:23 pm »

still a ripoff

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 01:33:35 pm »

I believe what I said originally remains true for Lr 5.  (However, it may not be applicable for future major versions of Lr.)

In the thread at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=80687.msg661386#msg661386 Mike Chambers, also employed by Adobe, seems to say exactly the opposite, specifically:

"There are two ways you can get Lightroom.

1. You can purchase a perpetual license. This does not provide access to future new versions of the software, although you will have any access to updates (i.e. 5.1, 5.2, etc...) of that software.

2. You can get Lightroom as part of a Creative Cloud membership. You have access to Lightroom, including future updates and versions as long as you continue to be a member of Creative Cloud.

This offer is a Creative Cloud offer. It is not a Photoshop CC subscription, with a perpetual license of Lightroom thrown in. It is a Creative Cloud subscription that includes Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hope that helps...

mike chambers"

Perhaps I'm just easily confused, but is the official word now that LR obtained via a new CC subscription is a perpetually licensed copy of LR5?
- Dean

AndreG

• photohippique.com
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 01:51:02 pm »

Hi,

I am confused! If I unsubsribe for some reason and purchase a perpetual licence of LR.

In your view, will I be able to open the files worked on with LR CC or I I caught for life with CC?

Manoli

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 02:19:13 pm »

... is the official word now that LR obtained via a new CC subscription is a perpetually licensed copy of LR5?

No.

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 02:41:59 pm »

Hi,

I am confused! If I unsubsribe for some reason and purchase a perpetual licence of LR.

In your view, will I be able to open the files worked on with LR CC or I I caught for life with CC?

As it stands now, if you leave the CC subscription you can buy a perpetual license of LR which is the same version as that in the subscription.  So, yes, you'll be able to escape the Cloud and use your LR catalog in the sunlight. 

I wonder if you'd be able to just purchase a perpetual serial number and convert the subscribed version to the perpetual?

SunnyUK

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 05:58:18 am »

8 years ago none of us cared about LightRoom. Who knows... when it becomes time to ditch the CC package, maybe there's something new and fancy out there making any worries about LR and PS superfluous. Place your money, make your bet, there are no firm guarantees in life.

tuthill

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 06:20:45 pm »

Here's another statement by an Adobe staff member in Adobe's public Support forum for CC which states that the current price at the end of your first year is the price that they are charging right now:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1300146?tstart=30
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up