Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Won Over to the Cloudy Side  (Read 15949 times)

Isaac

Re: Won Over to the Cloudy Side
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 04:38:10 pm »

find buried comments like one from Barron's

When you refer to comments elsewhere please provide some way to verify that the meaning you give to those comments is reasonable.

in May of 2012 there were 56,140 employed photographers in the US

Does that include the self-employed?

and I suspect ...

Making stuff up.

and more to the point, who cares?

Let's stop flogging a dead horse. Adobe C-level will operate the business as they see fit.

The relevant questions are -- What do I need from photography software? Which photography software meets my needs?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:17:49 pm by Isaac »

markd61

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2013, 05:11:04 pm »

Controlling costs is a huge part of running a successful business.  Just because the subscription is a cost of doing business and is tax deductible, doesn't mean it isn't still a real cost that comes out of cash flow and profit.  Just because I might tip over the edge and join the cloud doesn't mean I don't still dislike the whole thing.  Deming, the father of what is now known as Kaizen, said that focusing on quality improves your quality and reduces your costs, focusing on costs reduces your quality and raises your costs.  Still, you have to pay attention or costs will sink your business.

Controlling costs IS a part of business but the most important thing is actually charging the right price for your work that accommodates the professional tools and overhead necessary for your work. So just how cheap do your vital tools need to be? Are we really saying that $50 a month makes your business a non-business? If we are in such a parlous state then maybe a more serious look at the business model is in order.

For the hobbyist it really comes down to how much will they pay for their fun. I have no opinion on this as some have $50k in gear for fun and others buy used P&S cameras. Clearly one group will have a different threshold of financial pain.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:38:49 pm by markd61 »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2013, 08:08:00 pm »

Here in Holland the costs are higher:
37 euros a month ( including 21% taxes) the first year =  370 euro that year (without taxes)
after that it will be 61,50 a year ( incl taxes)  = about 610 euro a year without taxes...
there is photoshop or all- nothing in between photoshop alone is 25 euro a month - about 20 euro without taxes... 240 euro a year..
I used to spend on a suite about 120 euro because i did the upgrades once every 3 years  

so the costs ( for me) are 2-5 fold; i will be locked in;  and after that there will be no valid reason for adobe to be creative... it will be the next Microsoft Office

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:09:50 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 05:50:14 am »

37 euros a month ( including 21% taxes) the first year =  370 euro that year (without taxes)

Are you sure you won't be paying 23% Irish tax?

Lars Anker-Rasch

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 05:25:06 pm »

37 euros a month ( including 21% taxes) the first year =  370 euro that year (without taxes)
after that it will be 61,50 a year ( incl taxes)  = about 610 euro a year without taxes...
there is photoshop or all- nothing in between photoshop alone is 25 euro a month - about 20 euro without taxes... 240 euro a year..
I used to spend on a suite about 120 euro because i did the upgrades once every 3 years   

so the costs ( for me) are 2-5 fold; i will be locked in;  and after that there will be no valid reason for adobe to be creative... it will be the next Microsoft Office

You could always wait 2-3 years before you upgrade to CC. Save up some money in the meantime... ?

Marlyn

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2013, 10:46:20 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up