Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: One impossible shot  (Read 9461 times)

cjogo

One impossible shot
« on: September 13, 2013, 02:31:47 am »

Feet  are turned hard sideways -- lens flat against the glass -- up about 8+ feet off the ground~~  on a very small ledge -- tripod folded but holding the Super Wide.. The Louvre  ::  from outside looking in   :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:58:56 am by cjogo »

WalterEG

Re: One impossible shot
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 02:48:54 am »

Well worth the effort.

W

cjogo

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 03:18:18 am »

No camera   & certainly no tripods in the Louvre -- the only way to capture that museum.   The walkway of tourists below me  > thought I was crazy,, of course.    It was about a 15+ second exposure  ;)

Harald L

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 03:43:07 am »

Feet  are turned hard sideways -- lens flat against the glass -- up about 8+ feet off the ground~~  on a very small ledge -- tripod folded but holding the Super Wide.. The Louvre  ::  from outside looking in   :D

Impressive story, but not told entirely. Tell us, how are the french jails? Do they waterboarding too? ;-)

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 04:02:08 am »

And after going to all that trouble, you overexposed! What a shame.

;-)

Rob C

cjogo

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 12:58:26 pm »

And after going to all that trouble, you overexposed! What a shame.

;-)

Rob C

Not sure -- check the highlights  -- still registering Zone 7+ -- at least detail on my screen --& the INFO in CS data. 

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 02:41:14 pm »

Doesn't that depend on how you make the file?

To my eye, it's the look of overexposed film on a too hard paper, but I've got early glaucoma, so what the hell...

;-)

Rob C

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 09:46:38 pm »

The Marly Horses.  My favourite spot in the Louvre. 

And although I see a reflection in the top centre-left of the photograph , not sure why you say this is taken through glass from "outside" the Louvre as from this vantage point there should be a whole lot of museum behind you.

And you say you were on a small ledge 8 feet off the ground?  And none of the security guards stopped you?

And I like the image by the way.
[size=12p

cjogo

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »

The Marly Horses.  My favourite spot in the Louvre.  

And although I see a reflection in the top centre-left of the photograph , not sure why you say this is taken through glass from "outside" the Louvre as from this vantage point there should be a whole lot of museum behind you.

And you say you were on a small ledge 8 feet off the ground?  And none of the security guards stopped you?

I believe there are three side entrances to the pyramid--- ( probably the West entrance ) there was construction going on > so I climbed the planks until I could see this angle .. that's the reflection from a 38mm lens  up in the corner , I think.  So, no gendarmes .. just tourist watching me climb ...I was down under 8 minutes , I'm sure.  With my tripod and spot meter > probably thought I was just working / surveying  the job site ... ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:51:49 pm by cjogo »

cjogo

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 12:56:23 pm »

The Marly Horses.  My favourite spot in the Louvre. 

And you say you were on a small ledge 8 feet off the ground?  And none of the security guards stopped you?

Never been in the Louvre == it must have been Passage Richelieu ???   

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 02:31:02 pm »

To my eye, it's the look of overexposed film on a too hard paper, but I've got early glaucoma, so what the hell...
;-)
There's actually a cure for glaucoma. Despite that, I have heard it is the leading cause of blindness.
The 'problem' with the cure is that it's illegal, which doesn't prevent its widespread use and availability to anyone who wants it for pleasure. The cure is marijuana - certain strains to be precise.

A relative of mine from the US noticed that the glaucoma that he developed whilst still at college was ameliorated whenever he used dope. He then spent many years going through the US courts and eventually got the first legal [US] prescription to treat this condition.  ;D   This was in the 70s and it's still not universally available for medicinal treatment.  >:(
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

cjogo

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 03:48:01 pm »

Doesn't that depend on how you make the file?

;-)

Rob C

I refer to the INFO in CS  ....  we know 0 is pure black ( 3 on most papers will suffice )  and 255 is pure white ... I have a calibrated monitor to my out-sourced printers ... So, we just follow the settings of the INFO ...  the highlights (we want detail = Zone 7 ) should be registering about 241 -247

BUT : yes this should had been a -1 development ... I shot for the Zone 3 in the left hand door .. and the highlights seemed to fall OK on the meter...

THE MAIN culprit could had been my mid-diagnosis of RECIPROCITY .    No one has to worry about such tech stuff in the modern digital world .  ;D    This was a long exposure -- and 5 sec discrepancy could move the highlights beyond .

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:02:34 pm by cjogo »

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 08:13:27 am »

Joe - why so much effort for this shot/view? I don't find anything interesting about this in particular...was there something that you found captivating or memorable about it that warranted the effort? /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

stamper

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 09:45:22 am »

Certainly not overexposed on my monitor. I like the view, the processing but the angle of the shot is off putting. I accept it was a difficult shot to get - going by your description - but easily straightened in PS and worth the effort. :)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 09:47:51 am »

Joe - why so much effort for this shot/view? I don't find anything interesting about this in particular...was there something that you found captivating or memorable about it that warranted the effort? /B
I gather that it is something you are forbidden from photographing once inside.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

cjogo

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 01:43:21 pm »

More like :: just being able to photograph "inside" the forbidden Louvre  :D  And knowing no one has this angle  ;)

cjogo

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 01:45:03 pm »

I gather that it is something you are forbidden from photographing once inside.

Now everyone has a small digital -- probably can shoot all you desire .     BUT in those days : required a large tripod and long exposures  >> not a grab a shot with the iphone  ;D

cjogo

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 01:48:16 pm »

Certainly not overexposed on my monitor. I like the view, the processing but the angle of the shot is off putting. I accept it was a difficult shot to get - going by your description - but easily straightened in PS and worth the effort. :)

Thanks will try the TRANSFORM > but I always seem to cut off some of my image after the straightening ...  this camera was not a SLR .. so not easy to get my lines totally correct .. just a little viewfinder on top & I'm against the glass ..

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 02:00:03 pm »

to the original point...
just being able to photograph "inside" the forbidden Louvre.. knowing no one has this angle
...can't say these are compelling reasons to shoot this image...
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

cjogo

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 02:09:58 pm »

to the original point......can't say these are compelling reasons to shoot this image...

Maybe just frustrated that I could not enter the Louvre .... without leaving my camera at home  ::) And I like architecture
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up