Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Loonyblad opens loony shop in Tokyo.  (Read 14565 times)

SeanBK

Re: Loonyblad opens loony shop in Tokyo.
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 05:28:32 pm »

They made great cameras once, but Hasselblad have really lost the plot over the last few years and the Lunar thing is the icing on the cake. I loved an earlier campaign of theirs advertising Steve Mccurry as a Hasselblad H digital user, then showing a bunch of images all shot on film with a Nikon.
 Gary,
   Steve McCurry shoots with lotsa different system including Hasselblad i.e the Pirelli 2013 calendar > .
 Also in their Victor magazine they showed Steve's images shooting Elephant w/their Mahoot in 'Nam, which I believe were also shot by H series. Their magazine used to highlight the creatives who has not shot with their product (they explained that it is all @ excellence), which is unlike other M.F camera sites. So they do try to do good, but can't please everyone. Leica does come to my mind, they make a good product but they sure do sneak in some rebadged products too. Lotsa designers sell their name - license their name too, same thing...
    I really don't follow the outcry at all, as absolutely no one who has replied on this thread (yes, incl me) is a remotely interested in buying one, we're not the client nor do we know any who would be. Now days cars uses engine, .... from other brand so often it is amazing. Meserati's latest 2013 model uses Ferrari's engine, as Meserati is owned by Ferrari, so on & so on. Range Rover & Jaguar is owned by India's TATA, who also make the only car in the world that sells for US$2,000. People hasn't stopped buying RR, Jags or Indian mkt is not thinking for $2,000 we will have comparable to what Prince Charles is driving. ;D Different Mkt, different clientale folks. MBA 101 class guys. It is for those 'Nouveau riche' from China, japan, E.U, India. In China they have knockoff cars that look like Rolls Royce but not, BMW but not & people do buy them. These Lunar camera buyers certainly r not going spend hrs in PS or (excuse me) Capture One & have those huge unwieldy files from 40+ MP cameras. Give me a break guys.
   Sean
BTW As great as Steve McCurry IS, but his images are artificially enhanced to nth degree. e.g would be on his site he has a section called 'Blue City'. I was there in mid Aug 2013, just for photography with Nikon D800E. That blue in Jodhpur has never been that blue period.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:55:42 pm by SeanBK »

JV

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 05:43:00 pm »

They made great cameras once

They still make great cameras.  Ever tried an H4D or H5D...?

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 05:49:56 pm »

Hi JV,

Yes the H4D and H5D designed and made by Fuji.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

SeanBK

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 06:18:10 pm »

:D  ;D Simon, I love all the images u post & have said so often BUT you take your shot (don't know @ your inner working of lighting) and then u send out your cut out image of 'Aston Martin DBS' to Dan the retoucher and he does take it to final presentation for the client. I do all my own retouching etc now the final presentation to the client it does not make a damn bit of a difference, who does how much or with what.
 Same thing is true for the where actually the parts came & assembly took place, the results & functionality to the client is all it matters. That great & ridiculously expensive Aston Martin you shot usually is purchased in automatic mode & not manual mode so obviously that makes that "Lunarcy" version of automobile, since I could buy TWO new Ferrari for price of one DBS. Watch 'Top Gear' if u don't believe me. But for it is worth I love your Auto shots, they right up there w/James Hefner.
 Peace
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:21:21 pm by SeanBK »

JV

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 06:59:08 pm »

Hi JV,

Yes the H4D and H5D designed and made by Fuji.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear that they are not shipping the real Hasselblads to New Zealand!  The real ones say Made in Sweden at the bottom.

And Fuji, a brilliant company, I own 3 Fuji cameras..., not counting the H for all clarity...  :)

Best, Joris.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 05:11:39 am »

Gary,
   Steve McCurry shoots with lotsa different system including Hasselblad i.e the Pirelli 2013 calendar > .
   Sean
BTW As great as Steve McCurry IS, but his images are artificially enhanced to nth degree. e.g would be on his site he has a section called 'Blue City'. I was there in mid Aug 2013, just for photography with Nikon D800E. That blue in Jodhpur has never been that blue period.

Unfortunately, I believe that Pirelli has again totally and absolutely lost the plot. They did that once before when they dispensed with Derek Forsyth and it took them years to recover when he shrugged (just like Atlas) and went on to produce winners for Mintex instead... They then took him back and hit another golden period. But hard-learned lessons still get forgotten: never desert your winning system!

Rob C

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 06:21:46 am »

To answer the questions: yes i have used the Fuji Blads, and about the only part of that camera made by Hasselblad is the name badge, so i still say Hasselblad 'used to' make great cameras. Secondly i still think it marketing bullshit to put up adverts of Steve Mccurry as a Hasselblad user showing iconic Nikon film images. I have no problem showcasing great photographers in their magazine if they just want to champion great photography, just don't mention the Hasselblad connection. Do you really believe Steve Mccurry lugs around an H5 into the field? and yes i have seen the Calender video long ago, again product placement by Hasselblad..... I wonder if Steve payed for his camera?! Or the Elephant shoot....

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:30:24 am by Gary Yeowell »

SeanBK

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 10:58:41 am »

Gary, if u r like me & million others who watch NFL or Olympics. The White Canon lenses & cameras on sidelines are not paid by the individual photographers either. Yes, if u watch Steve McCurry's video, he has at least 5/6 minions lugging his equipment around, (do watch it again) just like any great photographer, a time honored tradition. U are thinking @ Henri Cartier Bresson or Frank Capa's ultra famous " 1936-Spanish Civil War" where they carried there own range finder Leica  ;D. BTW if u watch any of the Ansel Adams video of him shooting, he has his assistant carrying the wooden tripod & he sets up the camera, then Adams focusses & shoots. They say it does get lost in translation but in Video ...
   Peace.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:01:26 am by SeanBK »

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 01:39:22 pm »

Sean, Steve Mccury is/was a photojournalist, the most assistance he used when working was maybe a local guide to help him around and maybe hold an umbrella in the rain. If he was doing the thing he's famous for, he'd do the same i'm sure. The video bares no relation to his previous work, it's marketing guff and no more.

Nick-T

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 04:18:04 pm »

To answer the questions: yes i have used the Fuji Blads, and about the only part of that camera made by Hasselblad is the name badge, so i still say Hasselblad 'used to' make great cameras.

This is not true.

Bodies, backs and shutters are made in Denmark/Sweden. Lenses are made in Japan to Hasselblad designs.
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 06:29:55 pm »

The Loony handles are designed in Italy. ROTFL.

If Hassy had any sense they would at least have a wood handle option for the H5, like the erstwhile Pentax 6x7

Edmund

This is not true.

Bodies, backs and shutters are made in Denmark/Sweden. Lenses are made in Japan to Hasselblad designs.

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 08:05:08 pm »

I sure hope at the end of this run, the H ship isn't sinking with the top brass jumping out with their golden parachutes.   Sure looks like the VC group intends to exploit and use up, many years of hard earned reputation.  Of course that leaves DHW (Rollei) the only one still making 6x6 film and digital capable cameras so I shouldn't be too upset.   ;)     Still it hurts somehow to see that Lunar flogged around.
Rolleiflex USA

JV

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 09:03:12 pm »

Of course that leaves DHW (Rollei) the only one still making 6x6 film and digital capable cameras so I shouldn't be too upset.   ;)   

Eric,

I only just now saw that you also have a blog on the new site...

For those who haven't seen it yet:
http://rolleiflex.us/blogs/news-tech-tips-updates

Very interesting!  Please keep up the good work!

Best, Joris.

SeanBK

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 12:11:22 am »

Sean, Steve Mccury is/was a photojournalist, the most assistance he used when working was maybe a local guide to help him around and maybe hold an umbrella in the rain. If he was doing the thing he's famous for, he'd do the same i'm sure. The video bares no relation to his previous work, it's marketing guff and no more.
Absolutely brilliant deduction Gary. The old Steve McCurry images were shot with Nikon in Film days. When he was young (see his pics) & shooting in India in monsoon. While the video as u deduced bares no relation was shot for 'Pirelli Calendar 2013" in Brazil a commercial assignment. In the video one can see he has 2 if not 3 guys holding umbrellas over him.Please, do take a moment & really c the video.
   If u really want to see what Steve McCurry is upto like last week then do keep checking > http://on.aol.com/show/the-sartorialist-517912860
  Scott Schuman shoots with him & soon he will post it on his blog. On the Blog Scott did announce he has shot two part series with Steve, probably @ street photography as that's what Scott excels in.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 12:36:11 am »

Hi,

My understanding is that Mr. McCurry was asked to shoot the Pirelli calender. I presume that shooting MFD may have been a requirement. I don't think Hasselblad paid either Pirelli or Mr. McCurry to use their equipment.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

eronald

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 04:22:44 am »

I'm sure the Rollei would sell well if there were reasonably priced digital solutions for it?
Film is kind of hard to use these days, by a big part of the infrastructure for 120 is gone.

Edmund

Eric,

For those who haven't seen it yet:
http://rolleiflex.us/blogs/news-tech-tips-updates

Very interesting!  Please keep up the good work!

Best, Joris.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 02:03:39 pm »

Very interesting!  Please keep up the good work!

Thanks Joris!
I'm just getting started with that really.  I've actually tested over half the lenses with Imatest and have lots of interesting things to post later.  

I'm sure the Rollei would sell well if there were reasonably priced digital solutions for it?
Film is kind of hard to use these days, by a big part of the infrastructure for 120 is gone.

Edmund,
Actually so far there has been equal interest in the TLR's as the Hy6 Mod2 so clearly some people are still interested in film only cameras. I went to a concert the other day in SF and saw that the band was selling Vinyl along with CD's.  They said that record sales had picked up 500% in the last two years, and maybe the same goes for the other analog - film.  Freestyle lists 42 different types of B&W film in 120 size  and  Ilford just announced a mail in service.

But yes, agreed, a package digital solution would be great.  Have to say that so far MAC Group US has been really helpful as are the dealers - Lance at DT in particular, in trying to put some things together for Hy6 users.  It feels like its going to come together.

ps. back to the topic - did you know that there is an H trade in option for Phase and Leaf backs running right now until end of Sept. ?  I didn't until recently.  That's pretty cool.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:05:33 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 10:21:23 pm »

McCurry's Pirrelli calendar is utterly brilliant and visually sumptuous.  Shot on both "H" and D800 if I am not mistaken.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

eronald

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 03:42:42 am »

Thanks Joris!
I'm just getting started with that really.  I've actually tested over half the lenses with Imatest and have lots of interesting things to post later.  

Edmund,
Actually so far there has been equal interest in the TLR's as the Hy6 Mod2 so clearly some people are still interested in film only cameras. I went to a concert the other day in SF and saw that the band was selling Vinyl along with CD's.  They said that record sales had picked up 500% in the last two years, and maybe the same goes for the other analog - film.  Freestyle lists 42 different types of B&W film in 120 size  and  Ilford just announced a mail in service.

But yes, agreed, a package digital solution would be great.  Have to say that so far MAC Group US has been really helpful as are the dealers - Lance at DT in particular, in trying to put some things together for Hy6 users.  It feels like its going to come together.

ps. back to the topic - did you know that there is an H trade in option for Phase and Leaf backs running right now until end of Sept. ?  I didn't until recently.  That's pretty cool.

Afaik the back can be removed from the TLRs. Why can't someone make a digital back for the things? It's time to bring some progress into this whole MF digital arena, with pricing that is compatible with the lower revenues in the world away from Wall Street.

Edmund

Edmund

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 02:45:28 am »

Afaik the back can be removed from the TLRs. Why can't someone make a digital back for the things? It's time to bring some progress into this whole MF digital arena, with pricing that is compatible with the lower revenues in the world away from Wall Street.

Edmund

It's funny as this was just going around on twitter.  Quite a few have made their own digital TLR's, and yes it could be done professionally. 
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up