Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screen Protector  (Read 1528 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Screen Protector
« on: September 12, 2013, 02:55:39 pm »

I recently discovered a quite remarkable product: an apparently very hard, fairly rigid, and extremely transparent plastic screen protector that clings to a camera LCD (or tablet computer, smartphone, etc.) without any glue or snap connectors.  A thin, silicone gel coating holds it in place—you apply the plastic overlay from one end of the screen to the other, squeezing out the bubbles as you go—and it pulls off without leaving any residue.  The product really stays put once properly applied; I can't imagine it accidentally coming loose.  The manufacturer claims each shield can be removed and reused many times.  The material seems quite scratch-resistant.  I doubt it provides as much protection as the tempered-glass screen covers I have used on my DSLRs before, but I kept losing them and decided to give this product a shot.  Also got a non-glare version for my iPad, which makes reading somewhat more pleasant outdoors.

The product is called "Expert Shield," and it's available from the company's eponymous website or from Amazon (at least, Amazon-US).

(I have no connection to the company or anyone associated with it.)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Screen Protector
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:50:31 pm »

sounds like the same thing that is available for smart phones, iPads and other tablet computers.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Screen Protector
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:22:57 pm »

sounds like the same thing that is available for smart phones, iPads and other tablet computers.

Yup, they have products for all three, as well as for a good selection of camera bodies.  In addition to being less reflective than the uncovered screen, the one I installed on my iPad seems to be somewhat more smear-resistant.

Of course, if the manufacturers of these products would engineer them so as not to have screens that were overly reflective, too susceptible to scratches and easy to smear, this type of aftermarket product wouldn't be necessary.  In particular, I wish camera manufacturers would provide more robust glass covers for their LCDs—at least for their mid-range and higher bodies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up