Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Subscription model  (Read 7978 times)

Richard Pickett

Subscription model
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:50:33 pm »

I just read Michael's post "Won over to the cloudy side" and want to make a comment.

I can see why the subscription model is so attractive to providers and can be attractive to customers too. As Michael says, it was the inclusion of virtually all of Adobe's products in one subscription and his decision to use Premier Pro that finally pushed him into subscribing to the Creative Suite. The subscription model can be cost effective. However, my point is that subscriptions mount up! One or two may not be too bad, but if every provider uses this model it will start to become too expensive for the ordinary, non-professional user. The trouble is that if you stop subscribing, you lose access to the software (or other service). I use many different software packages but not all of them too frequently. Some of them I like to keep up to date, others I'm not so bothered about. But if I do need them, they are still there.

So while I can see the option to subscribe may be valuable, I do not want to lose the option to make a one-off purchase. Would it not be possible for providers to support both models?

Tim Lookingbill

Re: Subscription model
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:48:26 pm »

A question about this LR/PS CC combo bundle has been nagging at me concerning subsequent upgrade numbering changes from the regular CS perpetual license model to CC version numbering (i.e., 14.x.x.x, 15.x.x.x.).

If I sign up for this LR/PS subscription and pay regularly for lets say two years where in that length of time I've upgraded to several version numbers for each app and decide to end the subscription, do all the versions get turned off going back to the beginning of the subscription two years ago? Or just the latest/current upgrade version downloaded?

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:10:09 pm »

If I sign up for this LR/PS subscription and pay regularly for lets say two years where in that length of time I've upgraded to several version numbers for each app and decide to end the subscription, do all the versions get turned off going back to the beginning of the subscription two years ago?  ...

Yes. Everything CC gets turned off if the subscription ends. Your only fallback is the last perpetually licensed version of LR and PS you purchased.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:13:07 pm by DeanChriss »
- Dean

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 05:59:27 pm »

Yes. Everything CC gets turned off if the subscription ends. Your only fallback is the last perpetually licensed version of LR and PS you purchased.

Thanks for confirming this, Dean.

Nix on the subscription model for me. It's just a picture folks, seriously.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:00:59 pm »

And so at some point in the misty future, when Adobe goes belly up or decides to quit offering PS or LR completely, a large number of professional and amateur photographers are suddenly going to be out of luck --- except for those of us still working with CS6 and LR5.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:15:48 pm »

And so at some point in the misty future, when Adobe goes belly up or decides to quit offering PS or LR completely, a large number of professional and amateur photographers are suddenly going to be out of luck --- except for those of us still working with CS6 and LR5.   ;)

I doubt that's going to happen considering all the small house firms competing with Adobe like Phase One, Iridient Developer, Aperture, SilkyPix, etc. that have managed to stay above water for years financially on a much smaller customer base than Adobe.

Adobe will find other ways to diversify if this CC model doesn't pan out. I'm not worried about Adobe staying afloat in the far off future.

As for the future of my images I'll just convert everything to 16bit tiff and backup to a hard drive.

Steve House

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:18:53 pm »

And so at some point in the misty future, when Adobe goes belly up or decides to quit offering PS or LR completely, a large number of professional and amateur photographers are suddenly going to be out of luck --- except for those of us still working with CS6 and LR5.   ;)

If my experiences with employers or clients who have gone bankrupt is any indication, if the day should come where Adobe (or any other vendor offering cloud storage) goes belly-up, you'll find out by attempting to log in that morning to begin working on your files only to find the server has gone dark with no warning or announcement.  Lot's of luck ever seeing that important work ever again.  

chez

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:12:56 pm »

Thanks for confirming this, Dean.

Nix on the subscription model for me. It's just a picture folks, seriously.

Ummm...no it is a livelihood for many and PS is a tool. If the tool saves you time and or money, then that's a good thing.

chez

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:15:46 pm »

If my experiences with employers or clients who have gone bankrupt is any indication, if the day should come where Adobe (or any other vendor offering cloud storage) goes belly-up, you'll find out by attempting to log in that morning to begin working on your files only to find the server has gone dark with no warning or announcement.  Lot's of luck ever seeing that important work ever again.  

Cover your ass by converting your valuable work to a standard format. Only dumb businesses don't insure their assets.

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 07:16:18 pm »

SCARY very SCARY... this its what happen because of the lack competition...
Maybe if the Apple OS and Google Android donĀ“t exist we have to pay 30$ subscription to microsoft to use a computer...

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 08:41:52 pm »

One year from now, Michael will be paying at approximately $1,200 every two years if he wants to keep using the Adobe suite. If a more appropriate package of software emerges from another company to meet his needs, I guess he'll just have to hope that the new package can read the Adobe files. Or else he will have to again rent the Adobe program he needs should he ever want to work on his former projects.

The situation for students is grim. At my university a student could buy one of the suite packages for $360, and it could see them through their 4 year degree. Now they need to spend $360 every year for CC. Or else pay $600 for a CS6 suite, because Adobe very recently almost doubled the price of that.

I recently purchased an audio editing program. Compared to Adobe's offering, Sony's program is (1) much cheaper over the medium term & (2) the license is perpetual.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 01:08:02 am »

So if Adobe goes belly up all the clever hackers will simultaneously die at the same time and you will never be able to access your precious Adobe files.

Unlikely I think unless Adobe goes belly up at the same time as a meteorite strikes earth and kills us all in which case layered image files most likely won't be an issue any longer.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 03:30:05 am »

So if Adobe goes belly up all the clever hackers will simultaneously die at the same time and you will never be able to access your precious Adobe files.

Unlikely I think unless Adobe goes belly up at the same time as a meteorite strikes earth and kills us all in which case layered image files most likely won't be an issue any longer.
Sure, it's easy to be flippant and trivialise the issues. Hacked software is irrelevant for most of us here. And remember Lehman Brothers and all those other great banking names that vanished in the 2008 crash - we all saw that lump of rock coming, didn't we? No? So how hard is it to imagine Adobe hitting the rocks after a series of bad acquisitions and/or its CC business being acquired by someone - eg Apple, Microsoft, some "sovereign wealth" fund or a Russian oligarch - and the CC deal being altered or unilaterally changed in some way that you found unacceptable? The subscription-limited model introduces a whole new set of risks to our pictures, and it's best to acknowledge that.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 03:58:01 am »

Sure, it's easy to be flippant and trivialise the issues. Hacked software is irrelevant for most of us here. And remember Lehman Brothers and all those other great banking names that vanished in the 2008 crash - we all saw that lump of rock coming, didn't we? No? So how hard is it to imagine Adobe hitting the rocks after a series of bad acquisitions and/or its CC business being acquired by someone - eg Apple, Microsoft, some "sovereign wealth" fund or a Russian oligarch - and the CC deal being altered or unilaterally changed in some way that you found unacceptable? The subscription-limited model introduces a whole new set of risks to our pictures, and it's best to acknowledge that.

alright John, now I'm not gonna sleep tonight  ;)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 04:15:23 am »

Of course, on the balance of probability that worst case isn't very likely - I just don't think we should be facetious about the issues. Sweet dreams.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 04:17:45 am »

alright John, now I'm not gonna sleep tonight  ;)

Hi Morris,

You can go to sleep without a worry in the world, and wake up to find that things have changed ...

If only some more of us had paid attention ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Cem

• Photographs
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 04:36:55 am »

Hi Morris,

You can go to sleep without a worry in the world, and wake up to find that things have changed ...

If only some more of us had paid attention ...

Cheers,
Bart
This is a very worrying development Bart. Greed knows no limits indeed.

Robert55

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 04:45:09 am »

The subscription model does not work with the app in the cloud, it checks monthly whether you're still paid up. So in the unlikely event (...life raft is under the seat) you'll still have time to save work in a format that other programmes can access. It would still be bad, but is not a R=0 G=0 B=0 situation.
If my experiences with employers or clients who have gone bankrupt is any indication, if the day should come where Adobe (or any other vendor offering cloud storage) goes belly-up, you'll find out by attempting to log in that morning to begin working on your files only to find the server has gone dark with no warning or announcement.  Lot's of luck ever seeing that important work ever again. 

Robert55

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 04:50:15 am »

In that far misty future you will have been out of luck for some time because the OS that you needed to run the old apps will also have gone
[/quote]

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 05:25:49 am »

This is a very worrying development Bart. Greed knows no limits indeed.

Hi Cem,

Indeed, greed is not helpful for the development of society, but the lack of alertness amongst users/customers amazes and worries me as well.

As the saying goes; Opportunity makes a thief. Add a bit of ill intent, and we have a perfect recipe for things spiraling out of control.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up