Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider-Kreuznach 75-150 LS lens  (Read 8584 times)

Algy

Schneider-Kreuznach 75-150 LS lens
« on: September 12, 2013, 09:57:53 am »

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum so please go easy on me if someone has already discussed this topic.

Am thinking of upgrading my old Mamiya 75-150 mm lens for the S-K LS version. Does anyone have any experience with this lens?

Aside from the obvious bulk issue.

I did manage to do a side by side test the other day and the LS lens just seems to me to be fractionally clearer at 100% crop factor and has the added benefit of not shaking the camera like the focal plane versions do (even with Mirror up).

It would be great to hear anyone's thoughts who has been working with this lens for a while?

Many thanks, A.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Schneider-Kreuznach 75-150 LS lens
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:37:12 pm »

I did manage to do a side by side test the other day and the LS lens just seems to me to be fractionally clearer at 100% crop factor and has the added benefit of not shaking the camera like the focal plane versions do (even with Mirror up).

Our tests agreed with both: modestly sharper (most notable at wider apertures on the widest and longest zoom settings) and less camera shake between 1/8th and 1/30th. I did not notice any significant difference once stopped down to f/11.

Also has a focal-length lock and a nicer feeling construction (albeit at the cost of being larger and heavier, and also modestly more front-balanced in weight).

And of course it syncs with flash at high speeds rather than the 1/125th of the D.

It's borderline whether I'd suggest someone with a 75-150D lens to upgrade to a 75-150LS. It's easier to recommend someone buying for the first time to buy the LS over the D. I guess it would depend mostly on how often you shoot in the 1/8th to 1/30th range and how often you shoot near wide open, and how much weight matters to you.

You should be able to rent the lens for a meaningful period (3-5 days) and count the rental towards purchase if you decide to - at least that's our policy. That would be the best (and probably only) way to determine if it's worth it for you.

Algy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:21:10 pm »

Thank you for the advice.

Very helpful!

Best, Algy

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:12 am »

Thank you for the advice.

Very helpful!

Best, Algy

Hi Algy -

Yes, important to duly note the bulk and weight (and let's not forget the cost) of the LS version. If those are not deal breakers, then the most notable performance gains in sharpness appear in the middle part of the zoom range. If you look at our testing of the 2 lenses in the link below, the Schneider 75-150 LS appears modestly sharper at the wide and long end of the zoom range in comparison to the Phase One 75-150. But in the 90mm - 105mm tests, the difference was more notable.

https://captureintegration.com/phase-one-75-150-test/

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 10:11:08 am »

Yes, important to duly note the bulk and weight (and let's not forget the cost) of the LS version. If those are not deal breakers, then the most notable performance gains in sharpness appear in the middle part of the zoom range. If you look at our testing of the 2 lenses in the link below, the Schneider 75-150 LS appears modestly sharper at the wide and long end of the zoom range in comparison to the Phase One 75-150. But in the 90mm - 105mm tests, the difference was more notable.

Interesting. This is the opposite of what we found (largest improvement at the ends of the range). But our tests were at near-infinity and yours were at fairly close distance. So that might account for it.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:46 am »

Interesting. This is the opposite of what we found (largest improvement at the ends of the range). But our tests were at near-infinity and yours were at fairly close distance. So that might account for it.

Indeed - and the truth could be somewhere in the middle.  ;)

Lens products are pretty fascinating when you consider the design and manufacture of the lens always presents a strength and weakness scenario that is, in most if not all cases, an intent that is part of the pre-production process. More emphasis on near focus performance, or far focus, stronger wide open, or stronger stopped down. Stronger center, or stronger edges. The compromises of product development are fascinating - and confounding!

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: [1]   Go Up