Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old farm house  (Read 2802 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Old farm house
« on: September 12, 2013, 03:42:12 am »

This is a photo from a small farm house, that I have been planning to do for some time now. This house is located right by the roadside, when I travel from Lisbon to Almograve, on the SW Portugal coast. It is on the road to Porto Covo. Every time I went by it, I would tell my wife "what a nice house, I need to take a photo one of these days...", well, you know how it is...

In the end of August, I drove by again, and noticed the bales on the fields, near to this house. This type of house is a very typical one in the province of Alentejo; small, long, and white washed. The trees (they are called "sobreiros", I don´t know the name in English, these are the ones whose bark provides the famous cork) are wonderful too, with twisted trunks.

So one afternoon I drove about 30 km to go there and make a photo close to sunset time. This is the result. I have used the Canon 6D and Zeiss 25, on a tripod. Sunset was about 20 min later. The electricity cables are a bit of a distraction, but I decided not to remove them. Electricity is relatively new to the area (about 30 years or so), so to me they almost represent a connection between the old and the new. Now I envisage photographing this scene with a dramatic thunderstorm...

Regards.

sdwilsonsct

Re: Old farm house
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:23 am »

The trees (they are called "sobreiros", I don´t know the name in English, these are the ones whose bark provides the famous cork) are wonderful too, with twisted trunks.

Cork oak?

Lots of potential here. Random thoughts: three elements are too many. Get closer and contrast the house and the tree. Wait for sunset to mute the whitewashed walls. Let the Belt of Venus echo the line of the house. Soon the moon will be rising there in the evening.

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:20:31 am »

Cork oak?

Lots of potential here. Random thoughts: three elements are too many. Get closer and contrast the house and the tree. Wait for sunset to mute the whitewashed walls. Let the Belt of Venus echo the line of the house. Soon the moon will be rising there in the evening.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly return to this place. I actually like the 3 elements together: the bale, the tree, and the house. They speak about the land. As I said, this was very close to sunset; a few minutes later on, the whole hill was in the shade. As for the white walls, the house looked to me to have just received a new white washed cover of paint (normally people there white washed them every summer).
Regards.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:44:38 pm »

Paulo, how far is Portimão from here?  It is where my aunt originally comes from.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:40:23 am »

The hay bale and tree work nicely together, but the power lines don't look nice and I confess I really don't see the attraction of the house.

Probably just me.

Jeremy

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:30:49 am »

Paulo, how far is Portimão from here?  It is where my aunt originally comes from.

Rajan, how wonderful you have family ties in that area. Portimao is about a couple of hours drive; the road along the coast takes you south towards Sagres, then Lagos, and then Portimao. Of course there are so many interesting things to see, and photograph, it may take you longer to get there :)

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 04:32:16 am »

The hay bale and tree work nicely together, but the power lines don't look nice and I confess I really don't see the attraction of the house.

Probably just me.

Jeremy

No problem, all comments are appreciated. The house follows the typical architecture and design of south Portugal, long, not very tall, and white, with thick walls, to make it fresher in the summer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up